Johnston

Seeking participants for new magazine feature

I have not written one post regarding the change in direction of FMCA until John opened the can of worms with his statement the "magazine staff made the decision" comment and that caught my attention. Who gives/gave the magazine staff the authority to change anything? I thought,  like Richard stated, we were a member run organization. I now wonder how many other decisions the magazine staff will make that will effect the membership.  

jleamont, I am a retired mechanical engineer and do not see any major issues between a large modern 5th wheel and a large diesel truck.  We all use the same appliances, and same systems for water and waste.  My 5er has hydraulic levelers, residential fridge, PSW inverter, solar panels, automatic satellite dish, hydraulic slides, etc.  The diesel truck has coolers for the transmission and engine, filters, brakes, tires, etc.  

The 5er has suspension and brakes that are designed for a 5er, not a motorhome, so here are some differences.  But there are more similarities than differences.  A towable and a motorized unit towing a dinghy each have issues parking and maneuvering.  Having had motorhomes, bumper pulls, 5ers, pop ups and tents, each is a little different and you get what is suited to the way you travel and RV.  As I continue to age, I will probably migrate back to a smaller motorhome just for the ease in moving about.

As for the RV lifestyle, we all enjoy the comradeship of others.  We have met great people in all sorts of RVs and then we have also met some really undesirable people in all sorts of RVs.  We find lots of construction workers following their jobs and they always have towables and use the truck for work.

I am a ham radio operator and we are facing issues in trying to get more people in the hobby.  The governing bodies are looking to open up more frequencies to the lowest class license holders.  This is not setting well with those of us that have studied and passed the exams to operate on these frequencies.  Here the new guys are getting a free ride.  Is this right?  We will find out over the next year.

Have a great day folks, in what ever type RV you use.

Ken

Ken wants to make sure he got his point across, Carl. 

As you know Ken, I have several friends with towables but that's not the point any of us are trying to make. It's not that towables are now allowed to join its that some of us didn't/don't like the way the gurus in the Ohio puzzle palace make decisions that affect the FMCA membership. 

I hope we can now get back on the original topic, the changing of the magazine name. 

Jim S.

Changing the Mag. name, I'm afraid, is just the tip of the Ice Berg! 

Would it not be hilarious, if all of a sudden, GS became a Motorized Coach only club? :P  I'm a Charter Club & Life Member!  :lol:

25 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Reading your post Joe, I drew a blank.🤔

Had to delete it...don't want to go into timeout :ph34r:

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

jleamont, I am a retired mechanical engineer and do not see any major issues between a large modern 5th wheel and a large diesel truck.  We all use the same appliances, and same systems for water and waste.  My 5er has hydraulic levelers, residential fridge, PSW inverter, solar panels, automatic satellite dish, hydraulic slides, etc.  The diesel truck has coolers for the transmission and engine, filters, brakes, tires, etc.  

The 5er has suspension and brakes that are designed for a 5er, not a motorhome, so here are some differences.  But there are more similarities than differences.  A towable and a motorized unit towing a dinghy each have issues parking and maneuvering.  Having had motorhomes, bumper pulls, 5ers, pop ups and tents, each is a little different and you get what is suited to the way you travel and RV.  As I continue to age, I will probably migrate back to a smaller motorhome just for the ease in moving about.

As for the RV lifestyle, we all enjoy the comradeship of others.  We have met great people in all sorts of RVs and then we have also met some really undesirable people in all sorts of RVs.  We find lots of construction workers following their jobs and they always have towables and use the truck for work.

I am a ham radio operator and we are facing issues in trying to get more people in the hobby.  The governing bodies are looking to open up more frequencies to the lowest class license holders.  This is not setting well with those of us that have studied and passed the exams to operate on these frequencies.  Here the new guys are getting a free ride.  Is this right?  We will find out over the next year.

Have a great day folks, in what ever type RV you use.

Ken

Well said.  Same can be said for the combination of my truck and travel trailer.  

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Well said.  Same can be said for the combination of my truck and travel trailer.  

Please please guys. This thread is not about that at all. What do you think of the new name on the magazine and the procedure of selecting the name?

36 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Please please guys. This thread is not about that at all. What do you think of the new name on the magazine and the procedure of selecting the name?

Hello, all. Actually, the purpose of the original post was to invite new members of FMCA to participate in the new "Meet the Family" feature in the magazine, not to discuss the name change or how it came about. But since that's where it's gone, I thought I'd jump in and offer some explanation. When the vote to allow owners of other self-contained RVs to join FMCA took place, the decision was made not to change the name of the association but to focus on the  acronym that many members already use -- FMCA. That didn't work quite as well for the magazine. So, the idea of giving it a new name arose. Careful consideration was given to the name, and ultimately the Executive Board gave the change its blessing. The staff didn't unilaterally make the decision. The new name definitely ties in with the former. We believed it was important to retain the "Family" aspect of the name, because it describes the essence of FMCA -- a close-knit community of RV owners -- a family, if you will. And it describes the people who are enjoying the RV lifestyle. I'm not sure how we could have involved the entire membership in the decision regarding a new name. Instead, the Executive Board was given the opportunity to represent the membership in this decision, as they do with many other things. Even if we had taken a vote, undoubtedly some would have been disappointed that their favorite wasn't chosen.

We aren't planning to lessen the focus on motorhomes even with this name change. And, like John indicated, much of the content we've been publishing for years is "equipment neutral" -- it is valid, useful information no matter whether your RV has its own motive force or needs to be towed.

We're excited about the refresh that the magazine is undergoing. It's been 10 years since it was given a new look. And we do realize that some members liked the magazine just the way it was and aren't ready for this change. We heard comments to that effect with the redesign we undertook a decade ago. My favorite comment about a redesign came years back from a member who called to say that he likes his olives to stay in the same place in the grocery store, and we had essentially moved his olives! I don't know about you all, but the stores I shop in seem to love moving things around. 

We definitely appreciate your passion about FMCA and the magazine! I hope this explanation helps. Any new members out there willing to be profiled in "Meet the Family"?

Pamela Kay
Director of Communications, Publishing

I joined FMCA quite a while ago. I was interested in all the reviews for the Class A coaches as I'm not interested in the other ones. I have seen the magazine go from quite a large -aka volume publication to what it is now. I do not subscribe to Trailer Life or Motorhome magazine. But if the new magazine is going to feature pop-ups and slide in pickup campers- I'm outta here.

We joined Family Motor Coach Association to meet people with common interests, that being MOTORHOMES discuss traveling plans site seeing destinations and learn about the motorhome lifestyle all the while making new friends and building comradery. The point of the comments above has absolutely nothing to do with your trailers specifications nor does it have anything to do with your truck, please don't take it personal, that was not the intent. The personal part I'll get to in a few. I also mentioned above I didn't want to hijack this thread but I got pullled into this post deeper, apparently that degree didn't teach reading comprehension.

We travel with friends that have trailers on occasion. I have worked on both, and their camper portion cannot be driven and is very different to OUR coach therefor it's not the same, you maybe an engineer but I spent a portion of mine correcting those errors. 

The sole purpose I am still around, to help others from my experience. I mearly stated my opinion above and got called back into the post.

I'll be darn if I'm going to sit back and take a double shot from someone that knows little about how your trailer shares the same equipment as my motorhome when you don't know me or my motorhome. This forum is turning into a similar hostile form as that IRV one, perhaps it's because you came from there. 

Moderators, sorry for the post, I didn't ask for this nor did I open the door but something had to be said. 

When my DW and I joined, we had a 4 digit number...back then, 2 different last names was not an acceptable thing, even though we where married in our church, I worked International and my wife paid the bills and FMCA put everything in her name.  Just to give you a background check Pamela Kay!  Lately, there has been way to many important decisions made by the EB and by passing Governance!  How can we, the National Directors, allow our Chapter members voices be heard, if things of importance is not brought to our attention?  All I get from your post, is a bunch of PC speak, that's suppose to keep the owners of FMCA, from asking to many questions. 

If I may make a suggestion Pamela, read Policy and Procedure for FMCA and maybe you might understand why the members/owners of FMCA is unhappy!

Ernie.  I do agree with you! Every person on Governance, gets no compensation and no re imbursement for expenses...Pamela and her staff is paid employees, by and for FMCA (for profit) Company.  We are part of FMCA (Not for Profit) Corp!

Well I think Erniee, Joe  and Jim S are right. You can't make a product better by watering it down.

Good comet by Carl while I was typing.

Bill

59 minutes ago, jleamont said:

We joined Family Motor Coach Association to meet people with common interests, that being MOTORHOMES discuss traveling plans site seeing destinations and learn about the motorhome lifestyle all the while making new friends and building comradery.

I turned to the FMCA family in 2016 when i was looking for my Coach because they SPECIALIZED in Coaches and Motor Coaches only! Like Joe who clearly stated they joined to meet people of common interest, I purpose of ME being here was to find people who were interested in the SAME THING i was interested in, a MOTORCOACH where I can pull up to a traffic light, pretend i have an issue, turn my 4 way flashers on, get up, winkie in the head, get back in my drivers seat and pull off as if NOTHING at all Happened! 

If I wanted to talk about pulling into a rest area, getting out of my Truck, opening the door, turning on the water, WINKIE (unless I already did cause it took too long to find somewhere to stop) and do the reverse to get back in the truck and leave ... I would have joined IVR or one of them other sites for all Rv'ers. 

I said this in this manor to show you and everyone else that NO, a trailer is not ABSOLUTELY NOT like my coach so the focus no matter how you want to water it down IS NOT on Motorcoaches anymore nor can you say that the magazine will not be "less focused" because i doubt if you will add pages to accommodate as that cost more money!

So to recapitulate the original purpose of the post, you want to include a feature that includes new members talking about their life - No OFFENSE, we live the RV life WE, (The Hayes Clan) are not really interested in someone elses because truthfully, the forum covers that already. I would rather have information about the latest innovation in toilets cause I have to buy one next week and that is more beneficial that talking about my life as the friendly neighborhood undertaker that likes to camp in the woods and tell campfire stories ... NOW I SOUND LIKE A CREEP! 

I want to meet families like I met Joe and his family, over some conversation here, at a campground, and awesome convo over the campfire as we sang rounds of KumBaya!

As Joe eloquently stated, I am here to help the new guy. I now have a WHOLE YEAR under my belt and who better to help a newbie than someone who has made his fair share of newbie mistakes, remembers them like yesterday cause thats when most of them happened,  and can help someone get through their mistakes, trials and issues. 

48 minutes ago, manholt said:

Lately, there has been way to many important decisions made by the EB and by passing Governance!  How can we, the National Directors, allow our Chapter members voices be heard, if things of importance is not brought to our attention?  All I get from your post, is a bunch of PC speak, that's suppose to keep the owners of FMCA, from asking to many questions. 

If I may make a suggestion Pamela, read Policy and Procedure for FMCA and maybe you might understand why the members/owners of FMCA is unhappy!

I have one thing to say to this, WELCOME TO THE USA where the little guy is told to speak but never heard or listened too. I thought we declared Independence from England in 1776???? Yet we act more and more like them each and every day!

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken, read my post, THERE IS a difference! Its kinda like the difference between PSK31 and RTTY - both use a sound card but thats where the similarities stop. Their process of operation is TOTALLY different ... yes both are digital modes but they take too different paths to achieve the goal and what we are arguing here is the PATH and Process not the end result. 
de KE3HAY

10 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I have not written one post regarding the change in direction of FMCA until John opened the can of worms with his statement the "magazine staff made the decision" comment and that caught my attention. Who gives/gave the magazine staff the authority to change anything? I thought,  like Richard stated, we were a member run organization. I now wonder how many other decisions the magazine staff will make that will effect the membership.  

Who gives them the authority ... I dont know, but I can tell you how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop! 364 according to a group of engineering students from Purdue University. Figured to was easier to answer that question then the one you asked!

Well Ms Kay, seems to me a round table discussion needs to happen there in the puzzle palace and you folks need to come to agreement on your talking points. 

Do you hear the frustration on the part of we members? It appears to us that you guys come up with what sounds like a good idea, you present it to the executive board and they take the easy way out and say of course it's a good idea. I find it almost comical that you, the communications director, stated "I'm not sure how we could have involved the entire membership in the decision regarding a new name." You're in communications and you don't know how to communicate with the members? If you worked for me, I would terminate you with cause for making that statement.

I'm going to ask this question and I respectfully ask for an answer, what percentage of the FMCA salaried personnel own a rv? That will be a vital piece of information to help me understand how it is that FMCA personnel don't understand where we as members are coming from.

If the powers to be decide to shut this thread down, I believe that will signify how strongly the FMCA leaders could give a care what we the dues paying members think. 

BTW, I also vote no on a meet the family page. That one page will require an advertiser. Is Blue Ox going to pay to have somebody discuss how great their Roadmaster is or is Fleetwood going to pay to read how wonderful my Newmar is and ....

I joined FMCA for information reasons and remain a member for one reason and one reason only, the medical evacuation benefit. If and when it is no longer available I'll no longer be a member.

No Ken.  If we all got together over a campfire, this topic would not come up!  A adult beverage works and talk about where we have been, RV Parks, what's next on "bucket list"?  Etc., yes!  PC  blah, blah...does not belong at a Meet & Greet.  Am not PC to begin with, nor am I a hugger of anything, other than my SO. If Keon want's to sing KumBaya or We are the children, then he and Joe L., can try it under water! :lol:

Years ago, when Bluebird was in business, there was their "spokesperson". She stated that she had been with the company for X amount of years and had never stayed in a coach.

She was proud to say that "this weekend" I'm going to stay in a Wanderlodge. I wonder how many of the employees of FMCA actually have set foot in a coach?

This is my first post on any blog.  I have read the thread and I think it is all like what Shakespeare said,,,,,, “Much to do about nothing”.   As your President I have read and know our Constitution, ByLaws, Policies and Procedures, and Employee Handbook from over to cover.  Everything pertaining to the redesign of the FMCA magazine was done properly and legally.  Your Association has very clear policies and rules on what decisions staff, Members, Executive Board, and the Governing Board can do. I guarantee tp all of you that everything done at FMCA is done “by the rules”. If any member, chapter, or Area thinks something is not done properly there is even a lawful process to handle that.   We even have and I endorse this blog......but just keep it on track and civil.    Jon Walker.  FMCA President

Jon Walker - I very much appreciate that you personally responded. That says a lot.
However, I am not sure if you really got my point. I don't really care if what was done was 'by the rules' or not. As my mother used to say, "just because it's legal doesn't always make it right." That's not the point here.

What I see is an organization that used to have a very specific focus. There was a recent decision to greatly expand the focus. It was my understanding that FMCA was going to try and bring current members along into the new organization and focus, that it was going to try and keep us and our concerns in the mix.

Unfortunately, I really feel like your response was somewhat tone deaf. You've got a bunch of current members begging you to be involved in the process of becoming more inclusive. We want to help you welcome new members while still providing space for current members to feel welcome and valuable. We want to make sure that FMCA stays a vital and important part of the RV world.

Rather than reach out and try and find a way to accept our cries to be involved, you responded with what looks like something a lawyer wrote. You even went so far as to offer a "lawful process" if we're unhappy.

Would it really be that difficult to see that we're just asking to be involved in the process of changing OUR organization as things move forward?