rhpears

Parking an RV in South Florida

We plan to go on a cruise in January out of Miami, and need someplace to park our RV, we have done some checking, but no luck so far, any suggestions would be appreciated 

There are RV parks in Hollywood, in conjunction with the air boat rides & Everglades...google it.  January is a long time away!  Do you have a toad and what kind of RV?

Welcome to the Forum!

3 hours ago, rhpears said:

We plan to go on a cruise in January out of Miami, and need someplace to park our RV, we have done some checking, but no luck so far, any suggestions would be appreciated 

Welcome to the forum.

Ask the cruise company if they have a place to park it. Personally I like the idea of just geting a campground for the time you will be gone. I would get it so you have a day to get in setup relax before you leave and relax and sleep before you head out. You can leave the air on and the refrigerator running.

Bill

I have seen plenty of rigs parked in the lots of Galveston...problem is keeping batteries/inverter going.  Yes, you can set up the generator to start automatically...cost of a campground is cheaper and more secure!

Thanks for the advice, getting a campground sounds like the best way to go, as we forgot about having to empty the refrigerator for the week as well, and it would be best to stay plugged in 

rhpears.

Just let the Park that you chose, when making the reservation, know that you will be on a cruise!  When you arrive, let them  know again...also, do not leave your sever hose out and turn off water at spigot, before you leave for ship!  I always take a cab to ship, lot cheaper than leaving a toad in a lot at cruise terminal...they also have a special lane for entry and exit.  Saves you a lot of sit time!

I have sailed out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, about 40+ times, in the past 6 years...mostly RCCL or RCI. :) 

We did that a few years ago for a cruise out of Seattle, going to Alaska.  We found a great CG just north of the city that catered to folks taking a cruise.  They had a special lot set up so you could plug your RV into a 110V outlet.  We were able to keep frig and batteries going while away.  If we camped in a regular site one day prior to cruise and a day after the storage days were only $10 per day.

With Florida being such a winter snowbird destination I'm not sure that type of CG exists close to Miami.  Are you bringing your RV a long distance just to do the cruise, or are you staying in Florida for the winter in it?

We are RV'ing in south Florida for the winter, actually starting out full time in April, and have various reservation thru February now. Getting spots in south Florida is not easy, especially in the inexpensive state parks. We are looking at all options on parking the RV for a week. To park at the cruise terminals it appears to be around $66 per day for the RV & Jeep, I have checked with numerous campgrounds in the area, but haven't found any vacancies for a week or so, most only take reservation for 2 - 3 months. We don't mind driving a couple hours to go on the cruise, so are expanding our search. Got a reply on IRV2 forum about a storage place in Pompano for $18 per day, only draw back is empting the fridge. To get reservation at state parks you have to book 11 months out, and need to be on the computer at 8:00 am with you mouse on the book icon, as the spots are gone within a couple seconds. We will be looking at the Army Corp sites in June as you can book them 6 months out. 

On 3/15/2018 at 7:19 PM, rhpears said:

Consider CB Smith Park in Pembroke Pines (Broward County). Approx $40 per night.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, rhpears said:

call the pier or the cruise line -------there is a lot of parking on the docks. if I remember correctly there is a place to park MH'S.I have no idea what the rates would be. 

1 hour ago, KKRONOWITZ said:

call the pier or the cruise line -------there is a lot of parking on the docks. if I remember correctly there is a place to park MH'S.I have no idea what the rates would be. 

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if the pier would have a place to plug the coach in. Parking is a RV park would give the OP a place to leave the coach plugged in so it is cool when they get back and they don't need to empty the refrigerator. 

Bill

If you're going for FHU or even just AC service, spaces at the Broward County parks (CB Smith, TY Park, etc.) are almost impossible to find. There's too many full time residents, most RV spaces are simply boondock space (sometimes on tarmac, sometimes on grass) and reservations are very difficult. (NOTE: We are Broward County residents, so it's from hard-earned experience.)

If you're actually leaving from Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), the closest RV park is Yacht Haven on State Rd. 84 just west of I-95. Great park and about 3 miles from the Port entrance (on 84). They do a good bit of business with cruisers. (It's also not too bad with Port Miami; there aren't too many RV parks in Southern Broward County or Miami-Dade County until you get South of Miami almost to the entrance to the Keys.)

PM us if you need more information about the area.