REDFISH4U

Glacier Ntl. Park camping

Question

10 answers to this question

REDFISH4U.  Welcome to the Forum!

That makes 2 of us...I have also, never been there and we are going up after the FMCA National Rally, in Gillette, WY.  We plan on being there by the end of August.  Got to go to Bend, OR. First...family!

Where are you from?  I go after Redfish quite often in Texas!

Welcome to the forum Randal. If you put your rig and outher info in your signature it will help you to get better answers. ;)

It has been 2 years since my last trip to Glacier. I don't like the campgrounds at the East side so we stayed at Glacier Meadow RV Park, 15735 US-2, Essex, MT 59916, glaciermeadowrvpark.com, (406) 226-4479, about 1/2 way to the East side. It worked out ok for the exploring on that side. Next time I will just stay on the West side. You might look as they were building a new campground close to the main entrance.

On the West side we were lucky to get into Glacier Peaks RV Park & Campground, 3185 Mt Highway 40 W, Columbia Falls, MT 59912, glacierpeaksrvpark.com, (406) 892-2133.

There are lots of places to stay but you must plan ahead to have reservations. Don't just show up and think you can find a place to park.

You can use the NPS website for lots of information. https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

The most important is WHEN IS THE ROAD OPEN. It is sometimes mid June before it is clear of snow. You  can check the road statise hear https://www.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

One of the best things to do is to take the Red Bus Tour. http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

If it is cherry season don't miss the Flathead Cherries. Lots of good eating in the towns around there and several Farmers Markets including one at the West entrance.

Bill

There are good KOAs on both sides, unless you are opposed to KOAs. They aren't cheap. The one on the west side is very nice.

Almost my next door neighbor, just 240 miles north of you, Hueytown, Al. :rolleyes: Welcome to the forum, I'll be fishing for redfish in Apalachicola Fl., May 29 unless feds open snapper a few days early. Have some good camper friends that live about 7 miles south of you.

Like Bill recommended, stay on the west side. I'm not much on KOA's but the one on the west side is really nice. You need to make reservations today, tomorrow at the latest. If your going in June, just make sure the road  going to the sun is open from the winter snowfall. Get to the summit as early as possible because the rather small parking lot fills quickly. 

4 hours ago, Greensjourney said:

We booked at Glacier Haven RV Park in Essex, MT. They can handle my 41' and have a restaurant and hiking. 

Welcome to the forum. The place you are staying is just east of Glacier Meadow RV Park where we stayed while exploring the eastern entrance/side of the park. Have a great trip. Both Whitefish and Columbia Falls have some good restaurants. 

Bill

We stayed at KOA on eastside - difficult to find a level site to handle a 40'. One place not to miss is Many Glaciers. It is north of the east entrance and great hiking / walking trails. We watched a bull moose eat and play in the water while we had a backpack lunch. Also like previously mentioned - take the Red Bus tour. We went by motorcycle on Going to the Sun road but it didn't compare to the tour. Have fun - its one of best National Parks in the country.