ambyn

Repairing Delaminated Wall

We have had a leak for a long time around the passenger window of our Expedition that has led to the delamination of the inside plywood from the foam and aluminum wall structure.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been eliminating sources of the leak. Recaulking the window including forcing silicon caulk under the flange of the passenger window stopped leaks from the window. But I could not see any components on the roof with bad caulking yet I still had running water on the inside. I was left with two possibilities - the wind sensor on the roof for the electric awning and the Winegard TV antenna mounting.

The leak is gone after fully removing the wind sensor and all the old caulking and doing the following -

1. stuffed part of a paper bag in the hole where the sensor wire comes through the roof and then filled will silicon caulk.

2. filled screw holes with silicon and laid down a silicon bead that the sensor base would be placed in when mounted.

3. placed sensor in the silicon bead and aligned the screw holes in the sensor with the screw holes in the roof

4. put silicon in the sensor screw hole cups and then screwed the sensor to the roof

5. filled over screws with silicon and put a good bead of silicon around the base of the sensor using a putty knife to create a smooth filet

Note that the A&E wind sensor has a small notch in the base that needs to be filled with caulk.

Water testing has confirmed that the wind sensor no longer leaks. This really surprised me since the old caulking had looked good.

Now to my question - What can I use as a adhesive to glue the plywood back to the foam where it has delaminated above and around the window on the inside of the coach?

I would like to find a spray adhesive if possible that I could put a red WD-40 spray tube on to get it up/into the small space between the plywood and the foam.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3M and Permatex make several types of spray adhesives for various applications. Many of them list wood and foam bonding among other materials. You can find many of these in automotive stores such as Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. I am not sure about being able to attach a WD40 type straw. You might give a local auto store a call.

Good luck with the repair.