skykingtcb

Wrangler Toad owners

Hello everyone, 

I am looking to buy a Wranger 2012 or newer. Trying to decide btw Auto or manuel trans. I am leaning towards the manuel due long time proven toad. The auto is towable per owners manuel.  But after reading about people stopping and shifting gears every so often to keep things lubricated.  I wondering if the manuel is better way to go. I have a knee replacement and the auto wound be easier. 

Thank you for your time to read my post.

I would think that stopping and shifting gears would be an easier solution than using a manual transmission if I had had knee replacement, but that's just a personal opinion. I've had knee surgery but not replacement, and it does bother me a little using a clutch, although I can use it successfully. Also the manual tranny is at a premium in my part of the country for a used Wrangler.

I towed both of my Wranglers, 2012 and 2015, for multiple days without stopping and shifting gears. (Also towed a Liberty and two Grand Cherokees the same way.) I have never seen or heard of this being a requirement for Jeep products, although I have seen it for some GM and Ford products.

Skyking.

Bad knee.  Had a lot of Jeep Wranglers and only 2 where manual (did not come in auto).  Have never had to go thru gears...kind of like "Plug & Play"!  Have also had Chevy Colorado, 4x4, V8's automatic's...just as easy as the Jeep!  Same with 2500 Silverado diesel 4x4.  Don't know about Ford.

Carl,

To my knowledge Wranglers only come in 4 X 4 and are as you said "put in neutral and go". The same with GMC and Chevrolet 4 X 4 vehicles. They have different ways of putting the transfer cases into 4 wheel neutral, but when in Neutral, GO. 

Friends that have had Fords say the same thing, put it into neutral and GO. (Of coarse on all, you do have to hook up first :D). 

Herman

Herman, you can get a 2 wheel drive Wrangler and a right hand steering Wrangler. Mail carriers use both.

I've towed either my 2005 or 2016 Wranglers, both automatics, for several hundred miles without ever starting either. I'm not sure where you heard that but you heard wrong. 

Honda is the only brand that I have heard of that requires stopping and shifting. My buddy that lives near Mobile Al. burnt up a transmission several years back on his Honda because of not adhering to that requirement, it was a Civic, not a CRV.

I have owned and towed Wranglers for over 20 years, with both standard and automatic transmissions.  Neither have ever been a problem towing.  When I was younger, I liked the sportiness of the standard tranny.  As I got older, I appreciate the ease of the automatic.  Your decision should be on what type of transmission you want to drive, as they both work the same for towing. 

4x4 for Wrangler only.

Herman.  Your wrong, go to any dealer and they will sell you a 2 wheel drive, 2 door or 4 door unlimited.  Lot's of Mom's buy them!

I had a Isuzu Trooper II, that was a 1985, 4x4 Manual, I had to start and run thru gears, every 300 miles!  No big deal, the DW and dogs had to walk anyway!

All towble 4 X 4's use the neutral in the transfer case not the transmission so it does not make any difference which transmission is used.

Thank you for your responses, I will buy automatic and just discovered they now have 8 speed automatics which gives 9% better fuel economy. It also may be a daily driver when not towing.

Skyking.  I would not buy the new JL Wrangler...push button start...you may have the same issue as the other warblers!

Skyking --

I'll just echo everything said about a Jeep Wrangler with an automatic transmission.  My 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara has had zero problems on my 600 mile round trips (about once per month) from Houston to many places of enjoyment (i.e. long weekend adventures).  Per the owner's manual the transfer case goes into neutral and the transmission goes into park all in 20 seconds or less.

Jim S. --

I have to laugh at the "Mall Crawler" designation for your 2016 Wrangler!    My Wrangler is my everyday drive to/from work vehicle (in addition to being my toad).  In the horrendously slow Houston traffic,  I guess I need to name my Wrangler the "Creepy Crawler" as I creep along I-10 at 5:30 p.m. after work each day at a top speed of 10 mph !

25 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

I guess I need to name my Wrangler the "Creepy Crawler" as I creep along I-10 at 5:30 p.m. after work each day at a top speed of 10 mph !

:lol: especially Creepy Crawler..love it!!! :lol:

42 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

Jim S. --

I have to laugh at the "Mall Crawler" designation for your 2016 Wrangler!    My Wrangler is my everyday drive to/from work vehicle (in addition to being my toad).  In the horrendously slow Houston traffic,  I guess I need to name my Wrangler the "Creepy Crawler" as I creep along I-10 at 5:30 p.m. after work each day at a top speed of 10 mph !

Exactly why we moved from Montgomery County to Canyon Lake over a year ago.  We laugh when people complain about traffic here, they don't have a clue what real traffic is.

Yea, at 5:30pm, even the HOV lane is crawling.  Why?  Big truck company's West of Katy has adopted it...that's the zone through Houston, that is Trucks only in right 2 lanes! :P

Just another data point for the OP. We have towed our 2014 JK Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 on several 2,000+ mile trips. 

Put the transfer case in neutral, tranny in Park. Ignition key in off position. Key in my pocket. It is specified in the Owners’s Manual. Jeeps don’t have a steering wheel lock either.  That’s another bonus.

We run a brake buddy and I also installed the Mopar factory towing harness that plugs the Jeep into the 7 pin connector on the coach. This runs all the factory lights on the Jeep. 

Lastly, we did have a slight issue of the “tail waggin’ the dog” but my alignment guy found that the Jeep alignment from the factory had too much “tow in”. With that correct the Jeep tows much better and it even made a positive difference normal driving. 

Hope this helps.