skykingtcb

Wrangler Toad owners

Hello everyone, 

I am looking to buy a Wranger 2012 or newer. Trying to decide btw Auto or manuel trans. I am leaning towards the manuel due long time proven toad. The auto is towable per owners manuel.  But after reading about people stopping and shifting gears every so often to keep things lubricated.  I wondering if the manuel is better way to go. I have a knee replacement and the auto wound be easier. 

Thank you for your time to read my post.

I've towed either my 2005 or 2016 Wranglers, both automatics, for several hundred miles without ever starting either. I'm not sure where you heard that but you heard wrong. 

Last year in Chandler, AZ, at FMCA Rally, my 2013 Wrangler Automatic was towed in and left hooked up, until we departed, 4 days later.  I started it and disconnect from Coach, in Deming, NM.  Did not hurt Jeep any!

Not fond of RUMORS !!! 

Never heard of that issue either.  Tow my 2013 Auto Wrangler all over, and never had to do anything like that.  On Wrangler, the Auto gets towed in Park, and the Manual in gear, so there is not transmission movement.

_05-26-2017_Dolores_Town-021.JPG

There are vehicles that state in the owners manual to run engine and shift gears ever so many miles/hours of towing.  The automatic Wrangler owner manual doesn't make any mention of having start and shift gears in my owners manual.  I have towed mine for about 4000 miles and sometimes several days at a time without start the engine.

Dennis, The Chevrolet Equinox did back in 2014-2015 you have to drive it first to lubricate the internals and every so often, when you don't they will self destruct. Learned that first hand and they will deny warranty, also learned that the hard way :wacko:. Some others also have speed restrictions, don't remember if Chevy did or not.

We also tow an automatic wrangler, 4x4 in neutral, transmission in park. No need to start it or operate it. The only thing spinning is the internals of the 4x4 transfer case and its self lubricating i.e. no pump to force lubricants around inside, does it on its own while free rolling.

45 minutes ago, donaldrfiske said:

So manual for my 2013 wrangler JK stick shift reads transfer case in neutral trans in 2nd gear is this the procedure to follow??

Yes.