I'm new here. This is my first post in the forum.

I need to get a reference for an RV wiring expert who will fix the wiring properly. Where the various systems on board will communicate with each other the way it was designed to?

I'm in the Pensacola, Florida. area.

I plugged into a very low amperage rv outlet which caused multiple problems. Everything from that moment started flashing on and off.

I called a Licensed, Bonded and insured RV guy who I'm afraid didn't know the inner workings of the multiple systems on board. Of course he never admitted that and just kept chasing his tail on it. He didnt know how to fix it and gave up! Now I have to deal with the original issue plus have what he touched, fixed properly! 

Sorry that I can’t help you with your wiring problem as we are in NM but I strongly suggest you invest in a Progressive EMS for your coach. It would have prevented the problem you are now facing.

Did this “ tech” check the transfer switch and the inverter?

MissAdventurer.  Welcome to the Forum!

There is a Chapter (Club) on the Internet with just Alfa owners, I believe FMCA also has one!  You can also call Fleetwood Tech Department for help.  I suspect some motherboards need to be reset....However, it would help us if you could tell us, what does not work?

Camp cop. Yes, the transfer switch has been replaced. He said the inverter was working, though he never got around to hooking the gen back up to it.. Inverter said no faults at the time. The guy I had working on it apparently had no idea what he was doing, and now has my generator in pieces. There was nothimg wrong with the generator other than the batteries were low at the time. There is no telling what all he has wired around instead of to the systems.

Edited by MissAdventurer
I forgot something in the answer

Manholt.

When I plugged into a faulty 30 amp outlet with low amperage probably 15 or 20 amps from what they said when they checked it. Everything on the bus started flashing on and off, lamps microwave etc. On for 5 or 6 seconds off for 5 or 6 seconds. I mentioned resets he didn't understand anything about the various systems on board.. 

I don't think low amperage would cause anything to flash on and off. If a light is on it would possibly be dim but it would not flash on and off. 

Low voltage would cause the light to dim, low amperage should cause nothing to happen other than some appliances to not start up. An open neutral or possibly a miswired cg pedestal could cause the problems that has occurred to happen. If the licensed, bonded, and insured guy actually has credentials to those effects, I would demand that he call his insurer for reparations.

If one does not understand, any system and do not take the RV to the appropriate shop, but rather a house electrician, odds are you will pay a lot in the end.  Unless its' a Alfa Trailer (They built, both 5'ers and DP's), it really needs to be handled by Freightliner or Fleetwood. :) IMHO. 

Manholt.

When I plugged into a faulty 30 amp outlet with low amperage probably 15 or 20 amps from what they said when they checked it. Everything on the bus started flashing on and off, lamps microwave etc. On for 5 or 6 seconds off for 5 or 6 seconds. I mentioned resets he didn't understand anything about the various systems on board.. 

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I bought the bus after having everything checked out on it by a Level 2 RVIA inspector. The only thing it needed when I bought it, was tires and house batteries plus some caulk on the roof. I bought it in February to live on and travel on full time.

I've owned 35 ft gas rvs and various others. I haven't even had time to learn this one yet or move onboard.

I hired what was supposed to be a Professional  RV Repairman. His credentials were Licenced, Bonded an insured. He walked off the job with more probems than when I hired him. He did something to it for a week and a half. I think he was trying to go around the bus systems because he did not understand them. 

Are you intentionally copying and pasting? By giving the same information over and over expecting different results is not going to resolve your problem.

There are several Alfa-specific web sites that will get you fixed up quickly. alfaseeya on Yahoo and Alfa Motorcoach Tech Site on Facebook. If you have Yahoo access, that one will serve you best. As a last resort, I can probably get you sorted out remotely. The Yahoo and Facebook site addresses are: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alfaseeya/info  and  https://www.facebook.com/groups/Alfatechsite/

Dave Rypma

2006 Alfa Gold #4078

Dave.  Welcome and thank you for posting some links!!!  Will help a lot of owners down the line! :)

Carl C.

Forgive me Elkheartjim.lol.

I have never used a forum before. I dont have time to research how to use a forum right now. Im too busy dealing with my RV/ full time home that I cannot move on. I did not copy and paste, however. I'll try the links that the helpful person posted above. Im done here. Thanks

I suspect your inverter. If it’s looking for a certain amperage and does not get it, it shuts down. Don’t know what  your “tech” did but at this point it might be ruined..

On a 2002, you have 2 banks of 4 batteries connected as 2 house and 2 inverter batteries. When the generator or shore power is hooked up, the inverter battery bank charges first and when the voltage gets to a set value (about 13.8 Volts) the Bidirectional relay delay module (the BIRD) commands the Big Boy relays to close so that the house batteries start to charge. Then when the house batteries are up to about 13.8 V, the 2nd BIRD commands the second Big Boy relay to start charging the chassis batteries (2 12 V in parallel). If you are hooked up to a low current source, the Xantrex controller (the RC-7) will start to cut down the charge current to the batteries if  you are running other loads through the inverter (which will be all the normal 110 VAC circuits in the coach).That will cause the Big Boy relay to drop out and your house battery voltage could start to drop. The Alfa has a fairly complex DC charging system and it is my experience that there are VERY few techs in the country that understand those systems. You have one not too far from you in Choudrant LA that can fix pretty well any issue you have with that Alfa. I would highly recommend going to see Ronnie Wolfe or **** Albritton in Choudrant of you want competent servce on your Alfa systems. You will find a wealth of techncal support on those web sites I quoted in an earlier post. Good luck with that issue!  ALL Alfa owners should join those web forums to get support for their Alfas.

Dave, thanks for the information, I used to think that my next coach would be an Alfa, most of them always had a graceful look about them. But of course with them going out of the business, I got the bus fever, and now glad that I did. Mine is an 88 year model coach and still service and parts available, also doing the entire conversion I know every nook and cranny in case of a system failure, including the very complex AC and DC wiring systems.

Miss Adventure, you may want to post on the Alpha sites for the name of the company. The Yahoo group is a closed group but the Facebook group is open. It would have been helpful if he had given you a number or company name. Good luck.

Norm, is your inverter turned on, if so whether you are on shore power or not you will have 110 volts to you outlets. That is as long as your batteries hold up.

If not on shore power and the inverter is turned off your outlets should be off.

Herman