jmonroe

Class A restricted ownership lots - open to Super Cs?

I'm going to post this both in the Class A and the 'C' forums.

We own a lot in a Class A restricted RV 'resort'. It's a beautiful resort that has opened at just the wrong time, at the hieght of the banking/economic bust. While we have a class A, I really would not mind if ownership were opened to Super C motorhomes. The developer has proposed just that, to try and widen the market.

My questions are this: If you own(ed) a class A and were contemplating purchasing (or maybe you own) a site, would you mind if Super C motorhomes were also allowed? If you own a Super C, would opening the ownership up be enticement for you to look at a resort? I know I've seen complaints that even stratispherically expensive class C motorhomes are not welcome in parks were 'entry level' class A motorhomes are.

I need to make a decision, as current owners are being asked to vote on this very issue.

http://www.canecreekresort.com/

I'd think the first step would be to clearly define a Super C. It needs to have a minimum body length, and a minimum number of slides. If this definition is left fuzzy, most folks will be against it because they don't know what might be sitting next to them.

We have a Super C and have not had a problem going to a Class A restricted resort. Our unit is 40 ft with 4 slideouts and everything a class A is ...

Check out the Super C from Jayco "EMBARK."

Just as a follow up. I voted to allow the Super C's, which the developer had defined as having a length of 40' or more (while my very modest 'A' is less than 35'). After getting 'permission' from a majority of the current owners, the developer ultimately decided to leave it as class 'A' only.

By all means open to Super C's, many of these models, are full size, and of course much more of an investment than most Class A's I have seen in parks that have Class A areas only.

Restricting a Super C that sold for $375,000 and allowing a Class A that sold for $75,000 is wacko...

By all means open to Super C's, many of these models, are full size, and of course much more of an investment than most Class A's I have seen in parks that have Class A areas only.

Restricting a Super C that sold for $375,000 and allowing a Class A that sold for $75,000 is wacko...

I think we have one owner that has been very vocal about his opposition to anything but class A. My guess is the economy (slow sales) will force the issue to resurface with a different result. I feel its impossible to argue that the narrow definition of what would be allowed (super Cs), proposed by the developer, would hurt either the aesthetics or the value of the park. It's a beautiful park that once "discovered" will have no problem finding buyers.

I also own a super C, 45 ft. long, 4 slides built on a columbia class 8 business chassis. (Dynamax). I think the definition "could" include those coaches built on a "business class" chassis. This would exclude the class C motorhomes built with a "van" front end. They would include all class 8 chassis's, M-1 or M2 chassis and those built on the kodiak chassis. (there may be others.) You could use the same type of restrictions as on a class A such as no more than 10 years old and a minimum length of say 30'.

I have only ran into two resorts that have flat out said No....one is Riverbend in LaBelle Florida and the other is Hearthstone grove in Petosky Michigan. While in Florida this winter we stayed at a brand new signature resort in Naples and they indicated that Super C's are welcome as well as the Signature resort in Harbor Springs Michigan.

Lets face it, the resorts have a right to do whatever they want. The key here is to get the manufacturers to reclassify the super C's as class A coaches. BTW, that is in the works right now! Once classified as a class A coach on the title or registration it would be very difficult if not illegal to deny your stay. The bigger question is why you would want to stay at a resort that does not want you there when there are so many resorts that DO want your money. When the finances of your resort become desperate and they are increasing fees or cutting services bring the vote up again........money talks.

Jim