pepsidog

in search of flat towable truck

We live in North Carolina and in the market for used pick up truck that is flat towable.  Where is the best place/website to look for a vehicle like this?

pepsidog,

Welcome to the Forum.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) I would look for an actual 4 wheel drive truck. Chevrolet, GMC, Ford or even Ram. They all make towable 4 X 4 trucks both full size or medium size. I would look for a crew cab.That way you can carry friends and or grocery when you shop. 

Also Mamma can have you haul lots of stuff for her. :D

Herman 

There's also Toyota TRD, Toyota Tacoma 4x4, Nisan 4x4, along with GM Canyon 4x4 and Chevy Colorado 4x4...All trucks.  Your choice in New or used.

What are you towing with?  Most gas MH have a 5000# limit.  Diesel pushers from 10,000 to 15,000.  

I tow a Ford F150 4x4 that weighs in around 7500 ready for travel with the boat on top and bed full of "stuff".  

Other options include a 4x2 with a manual transmission or an automatic with a drive shaft disconnet installed.

Check with Remco (http://www.remcoindustries.com/product-pages/towing/) for what is/is not towable without modifications.

Lenp

My coach is a 325 hp DP, the GVWR is 30,000 and the GCWR (GVWR + Towed item) is 36,000.

The GCWR should be on one of your coach ID stickers.

8 hours ago, lenp said:

What are you towing with?  Most gas MH have a 5000# limit.  Diesel pushers from 10,000 to 15,000.  

I tow a Ford F150 4x4 that weighs in around 7500 ready for travel with the boat on top and bed full of "stuff".  

Other options include a 4x2 with a manual transmission or an automatic with a drive shaft disconnet installed.

Check with Remco (http://www.remcoindustries.com/product-pages/towing/) for what is/is not towable without modifications.

Lenp

I believe you're numbers are for the hitch rating, that doesn't mean because you have a 15000# hitch you can safely tow 15000#. You need to know the GVWR and the GCWR of your coach and to know what your loaded coach and toad weighs.

super8mm.   What is your CCC ?

My 425 Cummins DP. GVWR 46,700,  GCWR  56,000 and CCC 61,000 !  My total weight, including Jeep & Linda, 54,019. :D

Jim S. Without Linda, it drops about 1,000# ! :lol:

Boy is Jim in trouble  :o

My load sticker does not list CCC but you have to figure it manually “LOL”

My GVWR is 30,000 minus UVW of 24460 equals my NCC of 5540.

My UVW does include full load of fuel, oils and coolants but not water or LP.  With that said I travel by myself and don’t take that much stuff maybe 2,500 (water, lp, food, clothes, and junk) I can stay within my GCWR of 36,000

I hope that looks like 24,460 +2,500 =26,960  then take the GCWR 36,000 – 26,960 =  NCC of 9,040, my truck weighs between 6,900 and 7,200.

Does that look about right?

Works for you?  Works for me!

Up until a year ago, I traveled alone also.  Linda has her own Phaeton 40 DP, that she's in 50% of the time.  Now, it's in the shop getting a few things fixed (she backed into a 10'x4" metal pipe, that was set in 5' of cement, in ground)!  We are in mine!

At least, she got her own!  Brain Fart...she put it in the ground 36 years ago, as a MH beware marker! :lol:

Do you mean that Carl needs to put brain in gear before opening mouth, or keyboard? :rolleyes: I was beginning to believe that I was the only one that caught that statement.

OK, back to OP if we still have one!

Google used or new trucks for sale, 4x4.  If you know what brand you want, then it's easier.  You can also look at the 2018 towable section of the FMCA Digital Magazine, also previous years! 

We are new to the RV scene. We have a 2002 Itasca. We are looking for options - either a flat-towable or something on a trailer (scooters, mini bikes, etc).

Unfortunatey, we don’t have the money to buy new. What is the best way to find something used?

I sugggest you decide your budget and then see what fits in the budget. You can buy anything from scooters to cars on Craigslist and other online sources. Several forums, not this one, have classified sections. I've successfully used both iRV2 and Escapees forum to buy and sell items. The FMCA magazine has a classified section but it's so out of date by the time the magazine comes out its not been useful for me. 

asalvitti.  Welcome to the Forum!

What part of this great big country are you at?  Any big cities near you?