richard5933

Kohler Generator bearing service

We've got a 12.5kw Kohler generator on our 1974 GMC bus conversion. It is the original genset that was installed by Custom Coach in 1974, and it has only about 900 hrs on the meter. It's powered by a Perkins diesel. Both the Kohler generator and Perkins engine are working fine at the moment, and I'm determined to do what I can to keep it that way.

The same shop that works on the bus engine has gone through the Perkins and done with was necessary to get it ready. There were a few minor issues which came from not being used enough over the years, but it seems to be doing fine right now. They've replaced a few gaskets that were leaking oil, replaced a weeping water pump, and right now are replacing the four mounting pads which have become too hard to be of use. Otherwise the Perkins seems to do exactly what it should.

I've recently been in touch with someone who used to work at Custom Coach when these coaches were converted, and he advised me that one of the routine maintenance items they recommended was to change the main bearing at the rear of the Kohler generator head at regular intervals of about 250 hours. That's a pretty frequent replacement cycle, but it seemed like he had a reason for the recommendation.

Since I have no idea how long ago the bearing that's in place was installed, I'll assume that it's the original. That makes it time to replace it.

So now the question. Does anyone have experience changing the bearing that can give me an idea of how big a project this is going to be? It's my understanding that many Wanderlodge coaches used the same genset, as did some earlier Prevost conversions, so I'm hoping that I'm not the first one in FMCA that's attempted this task.

Any advice would be appreciated. A copy of the service manual for the Kohler 12.5kw generator head would also be great - the only ones I've found online either don't have the necessary information or have such degraded quality that they're unusable.

Thanks!

5470-1974GMC4108A-20.jpg

Richard.

I had my bushing replaced at 803 hours, Onan recommended bearing change at 8,000 hours.  I can't see where Kohler would come in at 250!  Now the person might have got a little confused, I have my Onan serviced every 300 hours...oil, check filter, fuel filter, oil filter, yours should be around same schedule!

At this point, it doesn't really matter if it's supposed to be 250 hours or 2500 hours. It's been in place for over 40 years and likely has any, if any, useful lubricant left in the sealed bearing. Time to change it.

Question is, what's the game plan to change it so that I'm not learning by destroying an otherwise good genset?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Ask Kohler, their the experts, am not and apparently your not either!!!

Kohler (as can be imagined) isn't keen to offer assistance on a 40-plus year old generator.

All I am looking for is someone who has been in this place before that can possibly offer advice on how to change the bearing with as little collateral damage as possible. I hope to do the work myself, and I have learned that it's always better to have as much information as possible before tearing into things.

35 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Richard, Could you post the series or model number on the unit?

I have about 12 Kohler system manuals on file.

Rich.

Rich,

I will be able to get into the bus tomorrow and can post the details then. Hopefully I'll just be able to get a clean photo of the information plate mounted to it so you can see the spec number as well.

Thanks for the posting in reply to my thread.

Richard.

The original Custom Coach is alive and well, the Founder is also alive & well, his L# 145 FMCA and was just inducted into the MH/Hall off Fame in Elkhart, IN.

CCC  7052 Americana Parkway, Columbus, Ohio   1-800-331-3188 or 1-614-863-6470, they still build shells, does conversions and service any coach that they built or converted to a MH and it's components!

Carl C.

Richard,

Might I suggest that you call around to shops that repairs gen. sets.Then ask then if they have a tech that is as old a Carl (:D) and has been working on generators for many years. If you can find such a person, he might be a good source  for the information you need.

Good luck on your search,

Herman