I am wanting to travel a little on Route 66 thru New Mexico and Arizona. I have a 31ft Class C and I just wonder if anyone has traveled Route 66 in a motorhome. Campgrounds? Gas? Any problems to watch for? 

12 hours ago, WaynePreston said:

I am wanting to travel a little on Route 66 thru New Mexico and Arizona. I have a 31ft Class C and I just wonder if anyone has traveled Route 66 in a motorhome. Campgrounds? Gas? Any problems to watch for? 

While it is true route 66 is no longer a major or continues road you can find out lots of information on Google. You will find route 66 and I-40 follow much of the same route.

In places R-66 is the acess road and in places it is like the local (business route) look at Albuquerque. We stayed overnight at a old place on R-66 just east of Holbrook AZ. 

Sun Valley RV Resort, 7625 Quartzsite St, Sun Valley, AZ 86029, sunvalleyrvresort.com, (928) 524-2972. This was a original motell on R-66 and they were adding some RV spots. 

There are several books out about the road but nowadays it is pretty much gone, but there are still some interesting attractions from the good old days.

Bill

Santa Monica, CA. to Chicago, Ill.  Used to take about 1,000+/= miles of it, From CA, to Wickenburg, AZ.  This was before I-10.  Still do parts of it, when in AZ.  Has it's good and bad stretches!  I generally park the coach and use the toad, as there are hundreds of side roads, mostly un paved.  I carry 5, 1 gal. jugs of water and 3 day supply of dried meat, anytime I go exploring in toad...unless, I'm going to the market. :P