rhoman@wideopenwest.com

Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park

We are planning on traveling to the Bar Harbor and Acadia area later this summer. Any recommendations for places to camp with our 40-foot motor home would be appreciated.

We have been going to this part of Maine for the last 20+ years, and have stayed in a few of the Rv parks at one time or another. Some we did not even give a second look. The one we have been using for the last five years is: Timberland Acres which is on Route 3 south of Ellsworth. Most are pull through sites that are long with plenty of space. One draw back is the sites are in the open, without shade. The sites are full hookup but without cable tv. The campground is about twenty to thirty minutes from downtown Bar Habor and Acadia Nat'l Park. But is close to Ellsworth, within ten minutes, with banking, supermarkets, resturants, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and a new Walmart. Acadia Nat'l Park has much to offer no matter what your interest. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the area. If you would like more info, we maybe able to answer your questions.

We have stayed at Hospitality Woods Campground on several occasions. Like Timberland Acres, it is also on Route 3 south of Ellsworth. Sites are among trees and most are reasonably level. Rates are reasonable and they have full hookups w/ 50/30A available. We would stay there again if are in the area.

We are planning on traveling to the Bar Harbor and Acadia area later this summer. Any recommendations for places to camp with our 40-foot motor home would be appreciated.

Hi, We stayed at Narrows Too ( http://www.barharborcampingresorts.com ) for the week of Labor Day 09. We had problems with our site when we arrived (didn't like it) so the staff worked with us to make us happy by allowing us to move about to any open site. Even though it was a busy weekend, they still had sites available. We reserved one of their larger pull through sites because we are a total of 65ft (with trailer) however the site was barren & too, too close to others. We ended up unhooking and storing the trailer in their empty lot area, then backed into a site near the water. This site had bushes, a slight view of the water too. Much better then the pull thru.....I wish I could remember the site number for you. The park is fairly close to the national park and has a shuttle to Bar Harbor too. You might want to call them and ask your routine questions that fit your needs. I liked the park because it was convenient, clean facilities. Hope this helps.

We stayed at the KOA on the right as soon as you enter the island. It wasn't too bad, but we were on a cramped site & it seemed like there was a recent seasonal roll-over in staff.

Last year we stayed for close to a week at Narrows Too. The staff were super, allowing us to move to any open site (except a few that had been reserved) and were very willing to assist. One upside is the lobster place across the street that had great food, great service, and the very best of blueberry pie! The town of Bar Harbor, and the surrounding area are very pleasant, and the trip up the mountain is certainly worth the effort. Have rain gear when you go to Maine.

Hope that you have a wonderful trip. We love going there and want to do so again very soon.

Doc Mike

Has anyone stayed at Bar Harbor Campground? The web site looks good, but they have a no reservation policy. We would like to be there in July or August, which has to be the height of the season.

If there is a no reservation policy, I wonder if they have had to turn campers away at that time. I tried calling their number but since it is the "dead of winter" there right now I assume there is no one there to answer the phone. I am assuming that regular campgrounds that do take reservations fill up pretty quickly for the summer.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks.

A good place to camp in the area is the Red Barn Camp Ground.

It is closer to Bangor but still easy to get to Acadia and Bar Harbor.

It is an older campground under new ownership

The New Owners are very nice,and have been doing a lot of updating.

We stayed 10 days last year and had a great time.