TimeTraveler

Rally on Great Lakes

We haven't seen or heard of any rallies in the US or Canada on or very near, preferably on the shores of the Great Lakes or any of the great fishing and hunting areas of Canada.

The west coast of Michigan on Lake Michigan has some great fishing charters available and some nice but tightly packed RV Parks and wind lots of wind and lots of sea sickness pills on sale.

Travers Bay RV Resort is fantastic but I imagine all lots sold by now.

On the west coast and leward side of Lake Huron, are some fantastic County Parks ....but they seem to have permanent RVs.

In all of northern Ontario, and the thumb of Michigan, Northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Manysnowda,  an RV park/resort, an excellent  and new spot.

TT.

If your thoughts are on a FMCA National or Area FMCA Sanctioned Rally.  You then need a lot more to offer than just a "great fishing spot"!  Where do you plan on parking 400 to 4,000 RV's?

You could join a local Chapter, I suspect they would have places that would welcome a small rally of 15-30 RV's and also offer a rally room!

Carl

TT, one the old format of the FMCA website (homepage) there was a tab you could see past years rally locations, all the way back into the 80's if my memory serves me right. It also gave the total count of coaches that attended. Wow were those some impressive numbers! With the new website I have not been able to locate that list, might still be there, I just cant find it. 

Once upon a time they were more spread out and in various locations with a lot more coaches in attendance in most cases. My guess is the places they were held are no longer available or its not convenient for the staff to plan it out. 

Joe, your right to a point.  Land is not cheap, suburban encroachment and the cost of a big rally, has gone up exponentially along with cost of living and land.  Where there used to be a Fair Ground, is now in a lot of cases an enclosed multi sport Coliseum!

Yes, the numbers where impressive!  Specially when you take into account, 20% less people and no RV attendance other than motorized coaches!  

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Forgot, back then, 1980's, we only had one national rally a year! :P

Carl, those attendance numbers were strong all the way into the mid 2000's if I remember correctly. Believe me I was shocked and got to thinking what that must have been like!

FMCA was always considered "top shelf" that's why we joined back in 09. The rest is history!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Land is not cheap,

On the great lakes, you could rent barges, tie them all together, no land involved. Probably would be a first.B) I have thought long and hard about taking the Copper Canyon excursion, I think that would be neat, sun bath in front of your coach while watching all those majestic sights go by.

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

On the great lakes, you could rent barges, tie them all together, no land involved. Probably would be a first.B) I have thought long and hard about taking the Copper Canyon excursion, I think that would be neat, sun bath in front of your coach while watching all those majestic sights go by.

:lol:

I have faith in you Kay, you could build something to incorporate your coach for water.

25009900aaf7f853dfdfaa89110ddfc4.jpg

Go to your dashboard, click on the events tab. On the drop down menu click on "about events". Gives a little history of the FMCA and at the bottom, there is a place to click for the count and location at every convention. One of the pics that comes up is the Cajun Cruisers. You in that pic Carl?

1 hour ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Go to your dashboard, click on the events tab. On the drop down menu click on "about events". Gives a little history of the FMCA and at the bottom, there is a place to click for the count and location at every convention. One of the pics that comes up is the Cajun Cruisers. You in that pic Carl?

Yeah, I saw that. It had a sheet with all of the previous locations and dates before on a tab along with the attendance information listed.

Kay, Joe.  Back in the 70's & 80's, we where members of Triple T's., Texas Outlaws and Apollo.  The Outlaws and Cruisin Cajuns would caravan in together and park together...we did have a crowd. :lol:

On 3/23/2018 at 1:10 PM, manholt said:

The Outlaws and Cruisin Cajuns would caravan in together and park together...we did have a crowd. :lol:

That sounds like it would have been a blast!