seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Child proof switch on brake pedal lever

Guys, here is some stuff you are gonna need to know someday if you have a Ford V-10 chassis coach. It may be the same on other chassis, but I don't know for sure. Here goes...

On my coach when you push in on the brake pedal, several things happen.

One: The brakes are applied (gosh, how ''smart'').

Two: You energize the ''brake booster'' thingie under the coach. Its the thingie that makes that ''WHURRRRRRRRRRRRING'' noise and I think it boosts your brakes so you can stop your hunk of junk without smashing into someone.

Three: It releases your transmission shifter thingie so you can take the shifter out of ''Park."

Four: Your brake lights come on and you can turn your ''key and start your coach."

Five: There are probably other things that it does, but I cant remember them right now.

Anyhow, all this is controlled by what is called a CHILD PROOF SWITCH thingie that is on my ''brake pedal lever" (the hangie-down thing that the foot pad is attached to).

As I understand it the purpose of the ''switch'' is so that a small child can not put the coach in gear or take it out of Park without pushing in the brake pedal.

The switch is attached to the brake pedal lever by a ''post'' on the brake pedal lever and held in place with a safety pin device and it has a wire plug in the bottom of it with a bunch of wires coming out that controls all the ''stuff'' that this thing controls (I think I just confused myself ... hang on and I will reread what I just wrote.) Okay, I'm no longer confused ....

Anyhow, the way you tell if this thing is giving trouble is that when you push your brake pedal, try to start your coach and YOUR COACH WILL NOT COME OUT OF PARK and your ''brake booster'' won't make any sound and your coach wont start ... TAAAAAA DAAAAAAAH. Your childproof switch has gone bonkers. Mine started ''not working right'' some of the time and sometimes working fine. I was told later that the tiny switch inside the unit was going bad.

On my unit the switch costs about $12 and you can install it yourself. You have to take the ''shroud'' off the steering column, stand on your head in the driver's compartment, turn your bifocals upside down so you can see close up, get out your flashlight, find a screw driver (flat blade) and a pair of needle nose pliers and take two ''patient pills'' and a taste of Jim Beam. The hardest part is getting the ''wire plug thingie'' off the child-proof switch body. You use your flat-blade screw driver and be careful not to crush it. The rest is pretty easy and can be handled by any competent brain surgeon or a mechanic.

Remember this: This information is for a V-10 Ford chassis coach, but it may apply to other makes and models.

Seajay the sailor man ........

God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe.....

God bless our vets for their service to this great nation .......

Guest 2driftrs

SeaJay, no question, your humor is great, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Guest Wayne77590

Oh heaven! Please! I don't want a picture of Seajay.

But I do like his narratives.

OK, Wayne. I believe the guy was asking for a picture of the Child Proof Switch thingie ... not a picture of me ... lol.

Seajay the sailor man

P.S.: I'm going to take a picture of the Switch thingie as soon as I figure out how to upload it onto Willa's computer. The Child Proof Switch post was written in satire, guys, but it can be a real problem'' that can bite you on the posterior.

Almost ruined my vacation once. I was tent camping in the hills of WV for a long weekend. Most vehicles have those safety devices. The brake lights stopped working. Parts store said they could get one but they would have to order it. We were tent camping and using the vehicle to sight see with the family so it was really going to change our plans.

I pulled it out. Had to stand on my head to get to it but once I got it out I took it apart and swapped the reeds around so that I had brake lights but no cruise. Bought one on the road when I found one just in case but I waited until I got hope to switch it out. Always carry tools!

Turned out to be a nice trip after all.