lylefikse

New RV Sat TV

We are expecting our new RV soon.  We are having a Winegard Skm-100 Dish installed on top.  We have dish network at home an I want to go the route of their $7 per month charge to to get the same programming in the RV.  We want DVR and the ability to record off the Over the Air Antenna as well as off the satellite .  Suggestions on hardware to buy?  Wally receiver with DVR external hard drive and over the air antenna connection???  Anything else??

That's why we have the DVR.  We always have enough recorded to get by for a few days.  If not a good book works fine.  Our new coach will also have and over the air antenna that we can pull in local channels if the satellite is blocked. 

I don't think that there is a really good device for doing what your are asking to do. The old outdated VCR is still the best answer, but then again, if you don't already own one, and the tapes are getting more scarce every day if you could find one and afford them. The DVD's just have never performed to my liking. But here is a website that may be worth looking into, hope that you get an answer to your liking.  https://www.techhive.com/article/3173175/streaming-hardware/best-dvr-for-cord-cutters.html

If I used a rooftop satellite dish, I would personally invest in an inexpensive portable dish for those times that you are unable to park in a suitable site for reception, just my opinion, and if you do opt for such a device, you will still need a RG-6 cord for hooking up to that, or the park cable if they have it. Most poor park reception is due to a poorly made RG-59 cable, or bad end couplers on an RG-6.

I have the Winegard SK-1000 and DISH network. I just added the Wally receiver to my DISH account. I have not hooked up my external drive yet but I'm not really satisfied with the Wally. I cannot pause or skip backward with it.  It may work differently once I hook up the hard drive.  I wish I had a VIP-722.  I traded them in for the Hopper3 and at the S&B  the Hopper3 works perfectly with the ability to record 16 channels simultaneously. For $15 more a month I think I will go with that for my next trip as long as it has full functionality.

I may just pull the one from the house and use it in the MH

We had the 211 receiver in our last rig with an external hard drive DVR.  Worked great.  I am told the Wally is better but I wouldn't use one without the DVR external hard drive.  If you add it I think you will get the pause and skip backward features you are looking for.  I am wondering if anyone has used the over the air adapter to incorporate the local channels in the guide??

Key word is "had," Yes I had the DVR. I never had a problem taking it from the house to the RV and back and forth.  Worked well using the Wingard Carryout Antenna.

We bought a Wally with the external hard drive.  Wayne, the features you were disappointed about only work with the external hard drive.  Ours works well.  Haven't had it in a location where you can't pickup all satellites yet.  Have heard that can be a problem.

I don't think I was disappointed.  I have had the external hard drive for 3 years or more and I used it along with the VIP-722k. I had two 722's here at the house. Not wanting to interrupt the one in the main viewing room I would take the second one with me.  The main viewing area is where I would hook up the external HD and transfer any recording that we wanted to take along with us.  It was very nice when I did not want to set up the portable antenna for a one night stop. We could watch our recordings. Much more aesthetically pleasing display when you load from the Ext HD back to the 722k.

With the new MH and the SK-1000 I had switched over to the Hopper3 and the MH has the Wally. I needed to hook up to the Wally and reformat the HD the last time out. It worked as it should work.  Now I'm wondering, and I'm going to find out very soon, if I pull the HD out of the MH, take it to the house and plug it into the Hopper will I still be able to transfer programs to the Ext HD?  I'm going to find a separate power supply for the Wally and another USB to SCA cable instead of having to fish things out of the cabinet.

I wish the Wally had a built in OTA but alas I'll have to use the in-line OTA. I just need to figure out which of the many OTA antenna cables, if any are close to the Wally.

Been gone too long!

we have Winegard Travler Dish sat on the roof and Hopper 1?, first one.

anything recorded at home comes with the Hopper to the RV..  the dongle allows us to record any over the air if for some reason it is not on sat.  Can watch one channel while recording 2 other channels.

looking into Hopper3, will have to modify the sat dish, not hard.