robandbarb

Women Driving their A Classes

My husband and I own an A Class and I drive it about half the time.  We've only owned it a less than a year so we are definitely new at this.  It doesn't seem common that many women want to drive.  I was just curious if anyone knew the statistics on how many women did drive.  Do you enjoy it?  Any tips from what you've learned?  Also, I would like to hear from any that might do it full time and what are some tips on not getting so tired so easy.  Thank you,  Barb

I've met many women that drive their MH's and enjoy doing so. Though my name is Kay, I'm not female. I wish that I could persuade my wife to drive, but doing so is futile. Best tip for driving without getting too tired is to break up the trip, either stop every couple of hours for a break or something to sip on, or if both drive, then alternate drivers on regular intervals. The most concern that I have with most female drivers is that most, not all, have never learned to use the mirrors correctly for keeping their position on the road, some male drivers are guilty of this also, so I'm not picking on women, just stating my observations. Here's hoping that you and hubby have many years of pleasurable RVing.

My wife Lori drives ours frequently. On long hauls we split up the day.  I generally take the morning, her the afternoon. 

Lori was a school bus driver for years so not intimidated by large vehicles. 

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

I've met many women that drive their MH's and enjoy doing so. Though my name is Kay, I'm not female. I wish that I could persuade my wife to drive, but doing so is futile. Best tip for driving without getting too tired is to break up the trip, either stop every couple of hours for a break or something to sip on, or if both drive, then alternate drivers on regular intervals. The most concern that I have with most female drivers is that most, not all, have never learned to use the mirrors correctly for keeping their position on the road, some male drivers are guilty of this also, so I'm not picking on women, just stating my observations. Here's hoping that you and hubby have many years of pleasurable RVing.

Kay;

I understand what you are saying about keeping their position on the road.  We learned that in the beginning.  Hugging the center line is what we are told.  You're really not as close as you think.  I try to find a place on the windshield or dash to help.  I had a friend that took a class and they placed a dot on the windshield that was setup for her when she drove.  I also focus my eyes further down the road.  We also tow and we have a rear camera and I watch where the car sits between the lines.  Thanks

This is not the correct place this response on the forum, but what I mean by positioning with your mirrors is this. To focus a mirror correctly, left mirror should be positioned so that the left rear of your vehicle should be visible enough that no more than 15% of the mirror shows the rear end of your vehicle, the same is true for the right side. Now while driving when glancing at the mirror, as one should do on a regular basis, make a mental note that the right rear of your vehicle is the same distance from the either line or edge of the road as it is to the line on your left side. Once anyone gets used to this method, they will automatically correct the steering so that this happens. Just something that I learned 60 years ago, that was the first time that I drove a truck, has worked well for me ever since. And focusing further down the road is a good trait, that also contributes to defensive driving.

The 12 second rule. Look ahead and judge the distance you would travel in 12 seconds. Also, there is a tendency to steer where you are looking so looking ahead to where you want to go should reduce some of the sleepiness. Conversation with others in the vehicle also help with the sleepiness.

As stated, stop every couple hours, get up and stretch. If in a safe area, get out and walk around for a few minutes.

My wife drives our much or most of the time. I have diabetes etc.

She does an excellent job but requires help backing in.

She started in driving our then F350 and Fifth Wheel in Arkansas, to give a rest.

Barb.

My SO, has her own Phaeton 40 foot DP, her 5th coach in 36 years!  Right now, we are in my 45, that she also drives on occasion...other times, we travel with both coaches! :)

On 3/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, manholt said:

Barb.

My SO, has her own Phaeton 40 foot DP, her 5th coach in 36 years!  Right now, we are in my 45, that she also drives on occasion...other times, we travel with both coaches! :)

My goodness, what do you do with two coaches????  Especially when hers is prime.  Would love to have a Phaeton, just don't have the pocketbook for it.  Happy Easter

On 3/28/2018 at 11:23 AM, kaypsmith said:

This is not the correct place this response on the forum, but what I mean by positioning with your mirrors is this. To focus a mirror correctly, left mirror should be positioned so that the left rear of your vehicle should be visible enough that no more than 15% of the mirror shows the rear end of your vehicle, the same is true for the right side. Now while driving when glancing at the mirror, as one should do on a regular basis, make a mental note that the right rear of your vehicle is the same distance from the either line or edge of the road as it is to the line on your left side. Once anyone gets used to this method, they will automatically correct the steering so that this happens. Just something that I learned 60 years ago, that was the first time that I drove a truck, has worked well for me ever since. And focusing further down the road is a good trait, that also contributes to defensive driving.

I will try and digest what you've said here.  I do look out my mirrors a bunch, of course, but not sure if they are setup as you mention.  Nice tip, thank you.

Barb.

Though a 2006 Phaeton by Tiffin is OK, there is no comparison to a 2010 American Coach Tradition, all electric,  When we are in both coaches, I still carry 90% of the perishable food in my 25 cu.  ft. Whirlpool Fridge...hers is a Norcold 12 cu, ft. and as Linda say's, she would really like to have had a Aqua Hot Sy. instead of Attwood 6 gal. water heather!

We are not married, we travel together!  She has her F# and I have mine.

I have to do all the driving as my DW refuses to do any of it. She says this coach is too big for her to drive. In PA you need a Class B non Commercial Drivers license, so with her current license she would not be legal anyway. I really enjoy driving but sometimes push it longer than I should. I am not sure I could relax if she wanted to drive anyway so I am good with the way we are doing it now.

30 minutes ago, Mypopslou said:

I have to do all the driving as my DW refuses to do any of it. She says this coach is too big for her to drive. In PA you need a Class B non Commercial Drivers license, so with her current license she would not be legal anyway. I really enjoy driving but sometimes push it longer than I should. I am not sure I could relax if she wanted to drive anyway so I am good with the way we are doing it now.

Why are you pushing it? You are retired and not on the clock. I try for 250-300 miles a day. I want to be set up by happy hour. ;)

Bill

Bill, sometimes I don't push it but most of the time when I do it is only because I enjoy driving it not that I am pushing any type of deadline. BUT I agree I need to back off and take it easier.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:15 AM, kaypsmith said:

.... I wish that I could persuade my wife to drive, but doing so is futile....

Same here.

One comment on the mirror settings noted above.  American Coach mounts their mirrors inversely, at least that's what they call it....the support bar is on top and the mirror hangs down below the bar...it does look kinda cool.  Also, they have three lenses...the top is convex down the side, the middle is the normal mirror down the side, and the bottom is oriented on it's respective front tire.  That bottom mirror is very handy going through small towns with sidewalks close to the street, but especially useful when going through construction zones with big cones and concrete abutments on the side.  You can see exactly where that tire is in relation to the curb.

My wife would not drive our previous motorhome but she will drive the Newmar with Comfort Steer. Funny thing too, the Newmar is almost 7ft longer than the least coach.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

One comment on the mirror settings noted above.  American Coach mounts their mirrors inversely

I drove a Kassbohrer (german made) bus that 6 on them, a bit confusing until you get used to them. You set them to view, front of coach from each side, front tire each side, rear wheels, side of coach, behind, and far out so that you see none of your own coach, only what is beside you. I prefer the mirror mounted cameras instead of multiple mirrors.

19 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

...I prefer the mirror mounted cameras instead of multiple mirrors...

I have the cameras but never use them.

Mirror mounted camera.

Ditto!  I find them distracting. 

Kay. the six mount?  I hate them, but I guess it's what you get used to & unless your on the Autobahn, things get real tight, fast.