dianahc

Verizon/FMCA Jetpack issues/worthless at RV Parks

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, gemert said:

Depending on the jetpack that you have a lot of people get better results with a MIMO antenna than they do with a booster including me. 

https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Antenna-Aigital-Booster-Vodafone/dp/B078S9L6QR/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1546950191&sr=8-13&keywords=mimo+antenna

This is the one that I use, and works great.

I've been using an antenna like that one for a couple of years now and it's worked great!  I found it in a thrift store and bought it on a whim.  It has increased the signal strength enough so it's never been a problem.  

I'm not on the FMCA plan but I've got one of the Verizon so called BS "unlimited" plans that throttle you down to 600kbps at 15Gb.  I've already blown through this month's allotment.  When I bought into Verizon, I was told unlimited meant 20Gb that I could bank up to 20Gb if I didn't use all of it in any month.  I only use the JetPack intermittently 9 months a year and depend on it over the 3 months we play snowbirds.  I've never had a plan change  after agreeing to it before Verizon.  It seems they'll change terms whenever they feel like it without any notification or admitting to it.

I do take advantage of a 15% discount for veterans and $10 discount for direct autopay to keep costs down as much as possible.  Between satellite TV, Internet connectivity for the house and cell phones, being connected sure takes a toll on our retirement income each month.

Thank you for the information 

I also experienced the same problem with Versions “unlimited “ data plan.

you said you get a discount for being a veteran? I did not see that option when I signed up😩

Joe P

Joe,

Welcome to the Forum.

Like all discounts you have to ask if they have one. Lots of places have them but just don't advertise them. I had AT&T for better than 25 years and just a couple of years ago I found out they give a 15% discount off to Veterans on their Basic Charge.

Thank you for your service.

Herman

I found out the same, 2 months ago and I have had AT&T for as long as I've had my own phone, 1958.  Geeez!

5 hours ago, jprot said:

Thank you for the information 

I also experienced the same problem with Versions “unlimited “ data plan.

you said you get a discount for being a veteran? I did not see that option when I signed up😩

Joe P

As I recall, I had to send a copy of my DD-214 for verification.

Try this link:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/discounts/military

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/employee-discount-validation-faqs/

Start here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/discount-program/?type=military#

Active military service members, veterans or first responders, here’s what you need to know.

For those who serve, we offer:

• Discounts on Go, Beyond or Above Unlimited plans. One line on your account? Save $15. Two lines? Save $35. Three or more lines? Your best savings are $40 on your account access fee.*
  • or, a 15% discount off other eligible plan's monthly account service fee
  • as well as up to a 25% discount off select accessories when purchased online through My Verizon.

But first, you'll need to verify your service.

• As an active military, you can provide one of the following documents: Military-issued email, Military paystub, Military enlistment DD Form 4 or SCRA Status Report.
  • Military veterans can provide one of the following documents: Your DD Form 214, Veteran's ID Card, Military Retiree Account Statement or VetRewards Card from Veterans Advantage.
  • First responders can provide one of the following documents: Paystub, pension stub, volunteer ID or Statement of volunteer service.

To register your existing account, click Existing Customers in the menu directly above and enter your Verizon mobile number in the My Verizon User ID or mobile number field to start.

*The line-based tiered discount for the Go, Beyond or Above Unlimited plans applies if the account was activated with, or plan changed to, one of these plans 6/28/18 or later. For military, Any Go or Beyond Unlimited plans activated prior to 6/28/18 will receive a flat $15 account level access fee discount or for first responders, the plan will not qualify for a discount. At any time the plan can be changed to the new Go, Beyond or Above Unlimited plan to receive the line-based tiered discount.

In response to the original Topic Posting.

I am sorry the OP has had a problem with her Verizon Jetpack. 

(Quote from the OP. So, a few months ago, I told my tale of problems getting signed up with the new Verizon/FMCA $49/mo plan with free Jetpack (I had earlier gotten a small tablet as a hotspot, which I was promised could be swapped for the FMCA deal when it finally got put together, and it turned into a nightmare to switch). Having reliable and unlimited internet is very important to me because I am still working part time as an attorney, and I have to work while we're on the road.)

I am confused. Did she have a Verizon plan and changed to the FMCA plan or was it a completely new account since she never had Verizon before?

I have used my Verizon Jetpack all over the country for several year and never once had an issue with reception. I also have many friends with the same unit and none of them have had any issues with connecting. (I must clarify I have not been to California) 

Did the OP go to a Verizon store and have her unit checked out to see if it could have been a defective unit. With electronics there can be a problem with one out of a thousand and most companies are glad to help any customer to resolve a problem, but it's hard to diagnose an electronic issue over the phone. It is best to go to the store and talk with a human face to face. That always get better result than a phone call and most likely take a lot less time. 

I myself like my Jetpack.

Please let us know if your issues were resolved.

Herman

On 3/28/2018 at 11:55 PM, dianahc said:

Does WeBoost just boost cell signal, or does it also boost internet data signal? My husband and I have had a disagreement about this.

The weboost sometime will hurt your data signal.  The jetpack needs to be right next to the indoor antenna and `30ft away from the outdoor antenna.  In areas with good signal (based on cell phone) turn the weboost off as it does not have MIMO technology and will slow your data down.  I had the same issue, I would always turn on my booster and wounder why my data (based on speedtest app) was better on my cell than the hotspot connected my surface.  Turned the booster off and data was same as my phone.  The MIMO antenna list in the reply's works good too.

3 hours ago, orion7144 said:

The weboost sometime will hurt your data signal.  The jetpack needs to be right next to the indoor antenna and `30ft away from the outdoor antenna.  In areas with good signal (based on cell phone) turn the weboost off as it does not have MIMO technology and will slow your data down.  I had the same issue, I would always turn on my booster and wounder why my data (based on speedtest app) was better on my cell than the hotspot connected my surface.  Turned the booster off and data was same as my phone.  The MIMO antenna list in the reply's works good too.

I have argued that many times when you have a strong signal the WeBoost will decrease your throughput.  When the WeBoost comes in handy is a weak and unreliable signal.  MIMO uses multi-channels to and the WeBoost uses a single channel.  I agree with the statement above.