Smosher

Mysterious Holding Tank

I have a 2009 42-foot Monaco Camelot with the Aqua-Hot heating system. In my water bay service center, with all of the gray and black water, etc., I have an electric heater that works around 40 degrees and also an aqua bay heater. Just to the left of the electric heater is a small holding tank. It has a hose that goes to it and I don't know what that tank does. It looks like it is empty. The hose that goes into or out of it doesn't look like the same type that goes to the Aqua-Hot heaters. I was just wanting to know if anybody would know what it did. It looks almost impossible to get to to fill, as it has a filler cap on it. There is not enough room in there to see where the hose goes to or from. The tank mesurments are approx. 10"x8"x5" high, and it is clear in color.The chassis is a Roadmaster. I hope this is enough info.

I sure enjoy reading all of the posts. They give a lot of great info.

No it is a clear plastic rectangular tank. And I can relate to the I can fix it so no one can fix it. I try anymore to minimize the damage that I do to myself.

Smosher,

You say the tank looks empty. Clearly, if you can determine what kind of liquid it holds/should hold, you will be well on your way to determining what it is.

Have you tried dipping your finger or straw all the way to the bottom and putting the "sample" in a glass jar for evaluation? Color, smell, viscosity all help differentiate.

Brett Wolfe

Brett

I cannot reach the tank without dissasembling the front of the service center. I dont know why they they would put that tank in that position that you can't touch it or even fill it. This afternoon I will try to look at it more closely. I had taken the Electric heater out to check why it wasn't working which exposed this tank. I can't get to it from the other side because the propane tank is in the way which has a partition in back of it. Everything seems to work just wanted to know what the function of this tank did.

Steve

Steve,

Keep after it. Even if everything is working properly (right now), an empty expansion tank is a sign of something that needs attention.

If you can not trace the hose(s) to it, another thing you can do is post a photo of the tank in place. That may jog some memories.

Brett

Here is a picture of the mysterious tank.

Steve,

Thanks for the photo-- hopefully someone will recognize that reservoir.

But two other thoughts:

1. Can you trace that orange line going to it?

2. E-mail that photo to Monaco Service and ask them. You want to know what it is, what the correct fluid is as well as correct fluid level.

Keep us posted.

Brett

Well the mystery is over. I looked further and the bay next to it had a access plate to the bay that was in question. I described the tank and a valve to which the tank was hooked to. It is the winterization tank. It is a little work but you can get to it from the bay next to it to service it. This year I didn't winterize it I left the aqua hot heat the bay. It got down to below zero a couple of times and it worked fine. The coach is in a building, not heated but it didn't freeze up. Next year I will winterize it and not worry about it. Thanks for the advice its always good to find out all you can about your coach.

Steve