rfsod48

Mixing tire brands

I need to get New back tires and am thinking of getting a different brand from steer tires. Currently have Firestone steer tires which are 2 years old, they have done well for me but are a stiff tire with a harder ride. Would like to put them on one side of duals in rear and other side and steer with new tires of different brand. Will this cause a problem?

Roland

No problem having different tires/brands front vs back.

And, I would NOT pair the Firestones on one side in back with another brand on the other side.  Two reasons: rolling radius/revolutions per mile is unlikely to be the same and in a panic stop or icy conditions, they will likely have different traction.  And, be sure to verify that the rolling radius/circumference of the current Firestones are close to those of the new ones (not too worn).

Thanks Brett, so would you leave the Firestones on the front or buy a second pair and put them on rear if the current Firestones are not worn to far?

Correct.

If there is not much tire wear on the current front Firestones (i.e. their revolutions per mile will be close to that of new Firestones), buy two new Firestones for the back (other side).  Then whatever brand you want in front.

Not an absolute, but I prefer newer/better tires in front where a blow out could be much more dangerous than a rear blow out.

Roland,

Brett has some valid suggestions. In my humble opinion, if you could let go of the cash,  I would go ahead and buy all six tires now. You are going to have to replace the front tires before long, the why not do it now and feel safe and sound,

Just my thoughts.

Herman 

How do you know the current front tires have a "harder" ride?  You could but new Michelins (or other brands) only to find they are just as "hard".  I would buy the four rears and wait 2-3 years for the rears.  Have you weighed the front of your coach?  Are your tires inflated to the appropriate pressure for their weight?  You might be able to reduce the pressure 10-15 pounds (depending on the weight) and get your softer ride that way.

Lenp

I am comparing the hardness of ride to previous Michelin tires. Yes I have weighed my coach and have the correct air pressure. Reducing the air pressure 10-15# would under inflate the tires, not a safe situation. The Firestone tire has a thicker sidewall according to dealer which gives a stiffer ride.

thanks all for thoughts, I will follow up and let you know what I do for replacement.

Mixing tires in a dual position take some special precautions.  This and THIS post cover the most important considerations. Check them both.

While you can mix brands side to side on the rear axle  BUT you do need to confirm the OD difference side to side is not too large as this would make the differential work harder all the time.

Not sure if fully support the "thicker sidewall" idea as these large tires have a significant difference in sidewall thickness as you move from the tread down to the bead. Also, it is sometimes possible to achieve a change in sidewall stiffness even as you make it thinner if you vary the placement of the different materials as not all rubber has the same level of stiffness and some can be very flexible while other almost as stiff as a rock.