robandbarb

Comfort Drive on Newmar motorcoach

Newmar is not the only Manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"!  Just called by a different name & have been around for a long time!  I have a variation of it on mine & FIVE has the same, both AC's!

I suggest driving both. I can tell you from my experience, it's the most comfortable driving I've ever experienced but you really need to experience it for your self, particularly on a windy day and make sure you notice when a truck passes.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Newmar is not the only Manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"!  Just called by a different name & have been around for a long time!  I have a variation of it on mine & FIVE has the same, both AC's!

What other motorhomes have their version the comfort drive?

At this time only two manufacturers use the TRW patented electronically aided steering system, Newmar and Newell. Foretravel does use a similar system. 

Just so you know, Comfort Drive is not a magical thing that you'll immediately feel once you climb behind the wheel. Typically, you realize what it does at the end of the day. On a 600 mile drive, you might feel like you only drove 400. 

The Comfort Drive automatically adjusts for wind push and road crown every few seconds as you drive. Often, you can be getting pushed by a 20 mph crosswind and never know it, unless you're watching the trees and bushes along the side of the road. 

It also has an adjustable knob that sets the wheel for a standard feel or steering with just a fingertip. This is really nice when backing into a campsite. When ever the wheel is released after a turn, it automatically returns to center whether you're moving or not.

Manholt ,in Galveston ,TX. says "Newmar is not the only Manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"! Just called by a different name and been around a long time! I have a variation of it on mine & FIVE has the same ,both AC,s!"   What are AC,s and what is the other manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"  that Manholt said had been around a long time. Any information would be  appreciated.  ROBANDBARB. 

3 hours ago, robandbarb said:

Manholt ,in Galveston ,TX. says "Newmar is not the only Manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"! Just called by a different name and been around a long time! I have a variation of it on mine & FIVE has the same ,both AC,s!"   What are AC,s and what is the other manufacturer with "Comfort Drive"  that Manholt said had been around a long time. Any information would be  appreciated.  ROBANDBARB. 

Did you read my post? There are only two manufacturers that are currently licensed to use the TRW patented Comfort Drive System, Newmar and Newell. AC is American Coach owned by the REV Group. I'm not familiar with their steering system.

Jim is obviously up on the comfort drive information/facts.  I test drove several DP's in our search late last year.  I had never heard of comfort drive and had no idea of what it was.  When I finally drove my Newmar there was a remarkable difference.

We just traveled a little over 300 miles today.  It was heavy traffic all day, windy, plus we got caught in a jam up due to an accident blocking I-4 for almost an hour.  After 7 hours on the road I felt like I had driven 3 or 4 hours.  

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe S.

Are you now officially on the road or just a test drive with trailer?

Carl, since taking delivery and getting trailer ready we have taken 3 different trips in Florida hauling everything.  We "officially" vacated our winter site yesterday to start our travels.  Going to stay up here in St. Augustine for a week and check all of this area out.  Then we are cutting over to Mobile, New Orleans area for a month before heading to eastern Tennessee and then western Tennessee.  Don't want to get too far north until June......us Florida boys don't do good in the cold.

Great.  Hadn't heard from you in a while!  Keep in touch...PM's work.

Your not the only one that hate cold..:rolleyes: 

12 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Did you read my post? There are only two manufacturers that are currently licensed to use the TRW patented Comfort Drive System, Newmar and Newell. AC is American Coach owned by the REV Group. I'm not familiar with their steering system.

Thank you for your reply, I am new with a DP and appreciate your information.

2 hours ago, robandbarb said:

Thank you for your reply, I am new with a DP and appreciate your information.

No problem, we all were new at one time. It's better to ask before than after a purchase. 

What else can we help you with?

I do not have a newmar or newel, they were out of my budget.  However, I can tell you coming from a Jayco "J RIDE" F53 chassis over to our new DP Holiday Rambler was night and day.  I can not imagine a nicer drive than what I have now.  I do notice a bit ow wandering in high winds, but its insignificant in comparison to that J Ride.  Seriously , how can Jayco market that piece of crap and act like it is the best driving Class A on the road??  Not to mention the horrible quality of the jayco, i should post a horror story thread on my Jayco Experience.

I am a total newbie. Does the Safe T Plus Stabilizer add on do the same thing as “comfort drive”?

I thinking of adding it when I order a new Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32AA.

Thanks

dcamp123.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

NO!  Two different systems.  STP helps in preventing wander in high wind, like when your passed by a 18 wheeler!  Comfort drive is a computerized steering and ride system on big diesel pushers!

Adding the STP after market,  would be beneficial.  Make sure that you have your alignment checked first & make sure that it does not affect your warranty in a negative way!

Comfort Drive "Learns" the pitch and crown of the road so you don't have to constantly "tow in" your steering wheel, AND aids tremendously in crosswinds (when constant) and when 18 wheelers pass.  It also automatically returns the steering back to "straight ahead" when you stop.  It was developed by an engineer at TRW and is licensed only to Newmar and Newell.  It is a tremendous "comfort" on long road days.  It is also adjustable with a knob that goes from 1 to 5 (on mine) where 1 is the loosest feel and 5 is the firmest feel.  I use 3 1/2.

Don

Don.

It was actually developed in Germany and sold to TRW...Newell does not  use it anymore!  "Comfort Drive" is a name Newmar uses.  They did not develop it and the TRW version is used by several commercial trucks & emergency vehicles around the world, including Tour bus's!

14 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

To own one is to love one. 

Jim, you are correct.  I now have right at 6,000 on the register, should have over 8,000 by the time we hit SW Florida for the winter.  Every travel day is something to look forward to with comfort drive!!!!