Found this spot thru the freecamping dot net site. Makes a great stopover halfway between Tucson and El Paso. It's actually better than we expected. Not sure of the height of the entrance gate but there is an entrance to the left of the gate that is open and we came in that way. There are multiple sites here with BBQ stands, picnic table all under a covered pavilion. Very private and secluded. NO HOOKUPS. There was another Class A here so we pulled in behind them and still had plenty of room. Going to keep this place in mind and will def be using it again.

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

Used to be a good place to have breakfast in Lordsburg. It was at the North exit and then a short cut back. If I remember the name was George's but don't quote me on that. It has been several years since we went that way to Cheyenne.

We would stop at the WalMart in Trinidad, NM just after Raton Pass to dry camp.

Herman

Herman.

IMHO, we all went thru Lordsburg on our way to Chandler, AZ. last year!  Unless your coming out of Tucson, AZ., Lordsburg is the redundant, long way to Cheyenne, WY. :( 

Sorry my mistake:wub:, I was thinking of Walsenburg. Colorado. So the next time you are on I-25 just north of Trinidad, Co. stop off at Georges in Walsenburg (if it is still open)

Herman

Since we will be coming from Cortez, Co. via Pagosa Spring, we come onto I-25 at Walsenburg!  Hope their open for Lunch..:) 

22 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Used to be a good place to have breakfast in Lordsburg. It was at the North exit and then a short cut back. If I remember the name was George's but don't quote me on that. It has been several years since we went that way to Cheyenne.

We would stop at the WalMart in Trinidad, NM just after Raton Pass to dry camp.

Herman

I like the RV park at the top of Raton Pass. You get off at the top of the pass and drive up to the park. Incredible views.

Bill

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I like the RV park at the top of Raton Pass. You get off at the top of the pass and drive up to the park. Incredible views.

Bill

That sounds like a place to check out, for sure.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:07 AM, hermanmullins said:

Sorry my mistake:wub:, I was thinking of Walsenburg. Colorado. So the next time you are on I-25 just north of Trinidad, Co. stop off at Georges in Walsenburg (if it is still open)

Herman

Just did a search. Google says it's still there and open till 3pm. We'll put it on our list. Thanks Herman

We tried to stay at Veteran's Park a month or so ago.  It is now closed to overnight camping.  We ended up at a big open lot next to Kranberry's Rest.  We had dinner and lunch there and they said it was okay to overnight.  Several big rigs were also there.  Ashamed the park is closed to overnighting.