obiwan_canoli

Satellite & TV Confusion

Hello all...

Recently picked up 1st Class A, a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE, and now getting around to researching Satellite & TV options, but there's literally everything I probably need to learn, and so, here I am, asking the experts. I also have a Winegard Pathway X2, with 2 cable ports.

In the exterior power cord compartment is a cable hookup. On the opposite side, another, paired with an HDMI port.

Inside, in a cabinet above the bedroom TV, is another cable connection port. There may also be a port above the cockpit, but I haven't looked for it. I've also watched TV using the rooftop antenna (free), and understand how to tap into that via tv settings, and channel search.

I'm soon to obtain service at home from Dish, and as many already know, add service to my RV. My query relates to a few things I'm just not clear on...

If cable is available at a typical RV park, do I have access to cable tv, via the existing cable wiring, and using the external port, or will I require a cable box -a Wally - to access service? If the proper source is chosen from the TV menu, is that all there is to it?

Does the feed from the external cable port extend to both inside TV's?

In order to watch the bedroom TV, will I need a separate "Wally" for access to the park's cable? I assume if I subscribe to Dish, they'll provide one for home, but not sure about a second, when I request service to the RV.

Will I be able to watch two different channels with two TV's, running one cable to the outside port in the power cable compartment? Or will I be required to use both ports on the satellite antenna, running one cable through an as yet unidentified point of access, say, to the bedroom TV?

Knowing as little as I do, are there more questions I should seek the answers to? Please forgive the nature of my questions, as I don't know enough about this area to pose questions that make better sense... no techie here, but competent enough to follow sensible advice, thanks!

Thank you all for your guidance!

Michael                 

9 hours ago, OBIWAN_CANOLI said:

Hello all...

Recently picked up 1st Class A, a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE, and now getting around to researching Satellite & TV options, but there's literally everything I probably need to learn, and so, here I am, asking the experts. I also have a Winegard Pathway X2, with 2 cable ports.

In the exterior power cord compartment is a cable hookup. On the opposite side, another, paired with an HDMI port.

Most likely this is for an external TV hook up.

Inside, in a cabinet above the bedroom TV, is another cable connection port. There may also be a port above the cockpit, but I haven't looked for it. I've also watched TV using the rooftop antenna (free), and understand how to tap into that via tv settings, and channel search.

I'm soon to obtain service at home from Dish, and as many already know, add service to my RV. My query relates to a few things I'm just not clear on...

If cable is available at a typical RV park, do I have access to cable tv, via the existing cable wiring, and using the external port, or will I require a cable box -a Wally - to access service? If the proper source is chosen from the TV menu, is that all there is to it?

Cable does not go through a Wally. As to the box, most campgrounds do not require a box. However there are a few and they usually provide the box and sometimes require a deposit for its return. If using the cable without a box then you will have to go into settings and change the antenna input to cable and do a channel scan for cable channels.

Does the feed from the external cable port extend to both inside TV's?

Typically yes. Some coach's have the BOMB (Box Of Many Buttons) and when it is turned on it sends power to the amplifier in the antenna. It should not be turned on if the button for cable is selected, only for TV.  For the satellite button the power can be left on and if the satellite receiver has the OTA (Over The Air (think antenna)) than the satellite receiver can scan for local TV Channels.

For those RV's without the BOMB there should be a wall plate connector with a little button on it. It looks like a light switch wall plate but instead of a switch there is a connector for an RF cable and the little power button. When on a small light will illuminate on the wall plate. This needs to be on for TV and off for Cable. This is also a splitter that sends the signal to both TV's.

In order to watch the bedroom TV, will I need a separate "Wally" for access to the park's cable? I assume if I subscribe to Dish, they'll provide one for home, but not sure about a second, when I request service to the RV.

If the Newmar is configured like many you will have an HDMI Matrix switch with 4 or 5 channels.  This determines which signal goes where depending on the source request. With one Wally you can watch the same channel on both TVs.  I'm not positive but the two RF connector ports on the Pathway X2 can feed to satellite receivers but you will most likely loos the full functionallity of the receiver. Example: One wally with both RF inputs will record two while playing back another, or watch one channel while recording one other. With only one RF feed you would most likely be able to only watch, or record, one at a time.  I'm not that familiar with the wally as I just recently got one for the MH. Someone else can chime in on those features.

Will I be able to watch two different channels with two TV's, running one cable to the outside port in the power cable compartment? Or will I be required to use both ports on the satellite antenna, running one cable through an as yet unidentified point of access, say, to the bedroom TV?

Most likely no. Someone else with more Wally knowledge will have to chime in and tell the story of a Diplexer working with one line. Dish typically uses satellites 110, 119, and 129. the switching between satellites is minuscule to the eye when changing channels. If one receiver is watching one channel and the other receiver wants a channel on a different satellite there could be a problem.  If the Pathway is capable of Satellite 61.5 it may work. Dish broadcasts all channels on Satellite 61.5.

Knowing as little as I do, are there more questions I should seek the answers to? Please forgive the nature of my questions, as I don't know enough about this area to pose questions that make better sense... no techie here, but competent enough to follow sensible advice, thanks!

Thank you all for your guidance!

Michael          

My answers are as correct as I know them. If you had asked about the VIP-722, my previous system I could have been more precise.  As for the Wally, to pause, forward, or record you must sign up for an external hard drive at a 1 time price of $40. Go to an electronics store and pick up a 2 Tb hard drive that has its own power supply. Plug it into the Wally, format it and start recording.  Nice feature to go outside, sip a beverage, chat with the neighbors all while the Wally is recording two at a time favorite channels to watch later.      

Thank you, Wayne, very helpful. By the time I noticed your message, I'd accumulated a bunch more info., and feel I'm better versed, now, with what I have, what I need, and how it all fits together. Just today, got word my Winegard Trav'ler was installed, and with that, I'm sure it's clear, I did a little more research. Even got wiring diagrams from Newmar to assist the tech in completing the install, which, coupled with his experience, should have made the job much easier, as he noted when I got the call that the rig  was ready to pick up.

FYI, I opted for two Wally's, but your suggestion of an external hard drive sees like a good idea. I may not need it, though, as my service appears to provide for recording, given I have two HD-compatible Wally's, and the Hopper service at home. I'll check on this to be sure.

Okay - as someone driving a vintage rig I was able to follow this thread until talk of a 'wally'. Anyone care to share?

Wally is main receiver for dish network satellite tv, Joeys are the small receivers that depend on the wally. Direct calls their parent receiver a Genie, the small ones are daughters.

Oh...and I thought I was doing well when I got the new over-the-air antenna mounted...

Thanks for helping me crawl into the current century.

Methinks that OTA may only produce a few entertaining channels...  found most offer religious, shopping, and perhaps limited sports to view... RV park cable, or the addition of a satellite antenna with a service such as Dirct TV or Dish will provide far more options and variety... personally, I've run this circle, and after learning enough to be, well, still a novice, I took good advice, and installed a Winegard Trav'ler and subscribed to Dish... 

I changed out my DISH for DIRECTV last October.  I also, changed out my Bat Wing antenna for a Razor, on it I get all local channels and a couple of dozen others, depending on where I am.  If I'm at a CG for more than a couple of days, I'll have the local channels for news, changed to my location in the coach only via satellite!  Linda has a couple off shows she wants to look at.  Since we both have S & B's with DIRECTV, it's only $25 for both Coaches extra!

On 5/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, OBIWAN_CANOLI said:

Thank you, Wayne, very helpful. By the time I noticed your message, I'd accumulated a bunch more info., and feel I'm better versed, now, with what I have, what I need, and how it all fits together. Just today, got word my Winegard Trav'ler was installed, and with that, I'm sure it's clear, I did a little more research. Even got wiring diagrams from Newmar to assist the tech in completing the install, which, coupled with his experience, should have made the job much easier, as he noted when I got the call that the rig  was ready to pick up.

FYI, I opted for two Wally's, but your suggestion of an external hard drive sees like a good idea. I may not need it, though, as my service appears to provide for recording, given I have two HD-compatible Wally's, and the Hopper service at home. I'll check on this to be sure.

Ob, the Wally can record but you will need the DISH Expansion bundle or just go out and purchase a 1tb or 2tb usb hard drive. It will need to have its own power supply. The Wally does not have a built in DVR and only uses an external hard drive.  There is a $40 one time activation fee for using an external hard drive.

Because you have an S&B Hopper and an On-The-Go Wally (Outdoor account) you will not be able to use "mydish" app to change your location for local channels. You will have to call in each time.  This may change in the future but right now that is the way it is.

Just reviewing old posts, and thought I'd chime in after my initial post...

Many thanks to all who replied. I've learned so much here, am grateful for the variety of responses (on lots of other topics and forums, too), and though I'm not as seasoned as I plan to be, I'm a lot better informed and experienced than when I started, and I owe so much to the generosity of human spirit in this forum, one which shares in the adventure... 

Thanks, all, again!!

Michael