@hermanmullins, this may be one for you!

Preparing my wife’s 2017 Ford Explorer  Limited for flat towing behind our gasser motorhome.   All weights, capacities and other items have been checked and validated.  The chosen towing package includes the Blue Ox baseplate and ReadyBrute Elite towbar.  Will be wiring the lights with diodes.

Here are my questions:

1. Ford manual says to disconnect the battery negative cable.  Does anyone really know why? Please not a guess or heard it somewhere, or just because the manual says so.  If it is just to prevent the battery from running down I will install a toad charger.  I would rather keep It connected and have the toad brake lights functional when the toad brakes are applied.

2. If I can leave the toad battery connected with a charger, why couldn’t I leave it in the accessory position (accessory mode with keyless ignition) and put the headlamps in parking lights mode.  This would provide front and rear marker lights as well as tail lights.  At this point all I would need to wire up are the turn signals.

3. Have ordered a full frontal bra cover to protect paint and windshield.  Read an article where they did not recommend a vertical mounted tow shield or bra cover that blocked the transmission cooler as the transmission could overheat.  What??  Hard to believe a toad transmission would generate much heat being towed.  Anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be shared.  I typed all this on a smartphone so please excuse any typos or spell correct errors.

Because it's over 4,500 pounds curb weight.  I would call Winnebago Tech Dept. and ask if the rear axel is rated for that weight.  Your hitch rating is not the only consideration!

Manholt, I believe that the rear axle rating (GAWR rear) would only apply if the toad was apply downward force on the hitch itself, such as a trailer tongue would.  Towbars by design present little tongue weight.  The 5,000 pound hitch rating does apply to the weight of the toad and any additional rigging.

On 4/3/2018 at 0:30 AM, dstrahm said:

I would rather keep It connected and have the toad brake lights functional when the toad brakes are applied.

The brake light power comes from the coach, not the toad's electric system. This is the purpose of the diodes so the coach power to them doesn't back feed into the ford wiring. 

As far as the battery disconnect, It is for a few items, electric steering, anti theft system and a few other's. The complexity of that vehicles electrical system is very advanced, if it sees vehicle speed with the key off it will generate fault codes and most likely when you start it up the dash will look like a Christmas tree with many fault codes stored throughout many modules. To get a straight answer you would have to call Ford, without a direct line into their tech department I doubt the person would know what a motorhome was let alone know the specific's. 

Manholt, did I misunderstand something?  Were you referring to GAWR for the rear axle, or the GCWR for the rig and toad as a whole?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

The brake light power comes from the coach, not the toad's electric system. This is the purpose of the diodes so the coach power to them doesn't back feed into the ford wiring. 

As far as the battery disconnect, It is for a few items, electric steering, anti theft system and a few other's. The complexity of that vehicles electrical system is very advanced, if it sees vehicle speed with the key off it will generate fault codes and most likely when you start it up the dash will look like a Christmas tree with many fault codes stored throughout many modules. To get a straight answer you would have to call Ford, without a direct line into their tech department I doubt the person would know what a motorhome was let alone know the specific's. 

Good points.  Sometimes a creative idea is thwarted by technology!  And yes, getting to the correct person at Ford would be a challenge at best.