saint

Dash buttons not working

I own a 2017 Thor Hurricane 37 foot.  This weekend we were hooked up to 50 amp power and were listing to the radio using the radio mounted in the dash all day Saturday.  Below the radio are buttons to control the Sun Shade, Cab Lights, Generator Start, Driver & Pass Fans.  Saturday evening, when we tried to close the sun shade, the botton would not work.  Then discovered none of the other buttons worked.  Started the motorhome, and still no go.  Even after returning home, none of these buttons work.  However. the Generator Start button will start the generator, but the light indicating the generator is running will not light.  All other buttons and dash controls are working fine.  Yes, the toggle switch for the battery is in the USE position.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Saint.  Welcome to the Forum!

When the generator is on or shore power, are the batteries charging?  If so, then check the inverter circuit breaker, it may be off and that would prevent your house 12V system to not come on.  Look at your house batteries and check water level if acid and make sure all connections are clean and tight, including ground wires.  There is a CB on your generator, check it also!

The inverter is working and showing 14.3 on the display.  Generator works no problem.  Just the little light bar on the Generator Toggle switch wont illuminate when it is running.  It is just this row of toggle switches that are not working.  All other switches are working fine.

If this is on a FreightLiner, look in the cabinet with all the 12 volt fuses or relays. Sounds like either a wire is loose or a fuse is blown. I had a bad pin in a connector plug and randomly the radio, map lights, step cover , windshield fans would quit working. Took me a long time to find the bad pin.

Saint.

14.3 is bulk charging!  Does it drop down to 12.9+/- ?  If not, then you have one or more bad batteries...take a Volt meter and check each battery, they should all read about 12.6!

Carl

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Saint.

14.3 is bulk charging!  Does it drop down to 12.9+/- ?  If not, then you have one or more bad batteries...take a Volt meter and check each battery, they should all read about 12.6!

Carl

Yes, it does drop down to 12.9 or 12.7.  Before this outage, it used to stay in the 13 range.  

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Do all the other instruments on the dash work? It could be a solenoid that covers the dash gauges.

Herman

Yes, all the other guages,  a/c, blowers, fog lights, and such work fine. 

Your 12V coach manufacturer add on to dash is out.  So it's not getting power, start looking at the fuses for dash.  Do you have a schematic for your electrical system (12Volt)? 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Your 12V coach manufacturer add on to dash is out.  So it's not getting power, start looking at the fuses for dash.  Do you have a schematic for your electrical system (12Volt)? 

I don't believe I have the schematics for the 12 V.  I was curious if the fuses for this would be part of the RV set of fuses, or the Ford Chassis fuses?

Page 88 in the pdf manual below has locations for 12volt chassis fuse locations.  House 12volt supply/fuses will be in power center but unlikely they feed these circuits.  

I suspect it may be a loose/broken ground wire that serves all of those switches.  If you can locate a wire that is common to all of the affected switches (runs from one switch to the next) it is likely the ground wire.  Does anyone here know if Thor uses a switched hot or switched ground method for the things controlled by these switches?

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Finally had the chance to get back out to the motorhome over the weekend.  Squeezed my head up under the dash only to discover that the grouped wires had separated at a junction.  Boy did I feel like a fool.  Once the two ends reconnected, all switches working normal.  Thanks again.