steve319

Roadside Assistance

FMCA will not let you sign up for Roadside if your membership does not match their sign up dates. So if you want Roadside for 1,2,3, Years, you have to make sure your renewed for those years. Nice way for them to get more money !

Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am sorry you feel that way. But FMCA is only protecting themselves. There are some folks that will join up take advantage of a program or programs and then drop FMCA. Not saying you would do such a thing but there are some. 

Good luck and Happy travels.

Herman

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

There are some folks that will join up take advantage of a program or programs and then drop FMCA. Not saying you would do such a thing but there are some. 

Good point.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has been able to use this roadside service, as I've never heard of them.  How will they be able to support themselves at that low a price?

Coachnet doubled their prices.  And I fear having to use my GoodSam Roadside assitance, as I've heard so many bad things about how they respond to calls, and not enough good things.

I have Good Sam and although I have not used them too often (thank God) but when I did they were there in a reasonable amount of time and did what they could to get me going again. Even helped my son who was stranded with a dead battery in his car, when the roadside assistance I had with my auto insurance was not responsive at all. I dropped them since I was doubled covered anyway (i know not smart).

VAS is the parent provider and supports many different organizations. At one time I believe they did Coachnet and Good Sam. I have signed up for three years. I am sure someone will not be satisfied, but neather have all been pleased with Good Sam, Coachnet and all the others 

No matter who you use, it's a toss of  the dice on what/who you get on the phone!  in all my 38+ years with GS, I can only come up with 3 times, that the service was lousy!  Have also had Coach Net at the same time (came with the coach), have no complaints with them either...You all got to remember that cost has got to go up with inflation.  Just like our Insurance cost.  Nothing that I know off will stay at the same price forever!

Just had a bad experience with the FMCA roadside assistance regarding a qualified facility. We broke down in Trinidad, CO with our Cummins 425 ISL engine locked up due to leaking coolant into the engine.  The engine was going to need a rebuild. We told the FMCA service that we wanted to be towed to a certified Cummins shop in Pueblo (90 miles away).  They said no and first offered us two locations in Raton, NM and one in Walsenburg, CO.  The first one in Raton was out of business,  the second was an RV park with no mechanic.  The one in CO, their phone was no longer in service.  They had no idea of what qualified meant.

Our tow truck driver said we should have had AAA RV Plus as they will tow you where you want within a 100 miles.  We paid $1,500 to be towed to a certified Cummins shop and we are still fighting with the FMCA roadside assistance.  I called AAA and they confirmed what the driver told us, that for $145 membership they would have towed us.

That dashed any thoughts I had about changing over to FMCA from GS!  I'm due next month and I'll take another 3 years of GS!

I am at the moment tied into CoachNet. I had a problem with the Powerstroke Ford and the same sort of thing...only to nearest qualified shop...friday Pm late, Ford dealer closed till Monday. They would not tow to my shop in Denver. Will leave them and re-evaluate GS and AAA. I now again have AAA on the small cars and have been a member of AAA for years. I added the coach to them at one point and when i got home discovered they did not switch me to program that would also include my trailer...WHAT...that is when I went with CoachNet...mistake tooo. Alll the fine print easy to miss the details. 

Bill E.  I have all my "stuff" with State Farm now and all vehicles are covered for breakdown and towing, up to 200 miles, my choice!

GS raised me from $70 to $150 so I switched to fmca.

call fmca, they will sign you up for under one year as long as you accept that it expire when your membership does.

Had a less than stellar experience with the Roadside assistance from FMCA a few months ago.  My motorhome is parked accross the street from my house and I found a flat tire one morning.  I figured out the valve extension came loose, frayed, and the tire lost air.  I called to have the tire swapped out with my mounted spare.  When the tech came out, he didn't have the right size socket for my lugs (1").  Lucky I had one, and a good sized extension.  Then, he couldn't get his jack under the coach, so I engaged the leveler on that side to raise it.

Together, we got the tire swapped, but it was obvious he wasn't prepared for the work involved.

Btw, this is in the Denver metro area.  What if I was in the middle of nowhere?

Chris G.

Sounds familiar.  Prior to the early 1990's, all I ever had was GS and a couple of not so good experiences, but the good ones, by far exceeded the bad.  Since then, between GS and Coach Net, it's been about 50/ 50.  We hear more about the bad, than the good, on anything and I suspect that the bad is 10%, the good 90% or these Company's would have been out of business, a long time ago!  That goes for Roadside Assist as well as RV's in general.

Sorry for your inconvenience!   

On 5/8/2018 at 3:32 PM, JSPERRELLA said:

Just had a bad experience with the FMCA roadside assistance regarding a qualified facility. We broke down in Trinidad, CO with our Cummins 425 ISL engine locked up due to leaking coolant into the engine.  The engine was going to need a rebuild. We told the FMCA service that we wanted to be towed to a certified Cummins shop in Pueblo (90 miles away).  They said no and first offered us two locations in Raton, NM and one in Walsenburg, CO.  The first one in Raton was out of business,  the second was an RV park with no mechanic.  The one in CO, their phone was no longer in service.  They had no idea of what qualified meant.

Our tow truck driver said we should have had AAA RV Plus as they will tow you where you want within a 100 miles.  We paid $1,500 to be towed to a certified Cummins shop and we are still fighting with the FMCA roadside assistance.  I called AAA and they confirmed what the driver told us, that for $145 membership they would have towed us.

Interesting....  I've been a AAA Member for 37 years..  and they have NEVER failed on roadside assistance ...   We have AAA Premier RV now,  and I wouldn't trade it for FMCA, Good Sam,  or anyone else.   Sometimes price is really not the main factor here...  can you work with people??   

Apparently not with some FMCA roadside assistance folks... yeah,  I know,  they're contracted individuals ,   BUT,  it's a POOR reflection on the FMCA and means that their screening process for companies that act like this gives them a bad name.   VERY UNFORTUNATE. 

A friend of mine broke down with his car in a remote location,  had AAA Premier,  went to an authorized garage in a small town,  had to wait a few days for parts,   AAA reimbursed him for almost $1,000 to stay in a hotel and other expenses like food..   My point is,   IT WORKS..  

SORRY to hear that your engine needs a rebuild...   I hope that the garage you took your vehicle to is honest.    I'm surprised that your 2009 Allegro Bus had an incident like that... how many miles do you have on that vehicle.    Plus,  since you are full time are you going to be staying in a hotel while it's fixed... I also see that FMCA has a trip interruption feature like the AAA Premier... hope that goes smoother than the tow! 

Years ago we had AAA for our vehicles, but do not have it for the MH.  I have read way too many posts on different forums where AAA sent somebody who had no idea how to tow a DP, and brought a "tow truck" that in no way could even start to tow a DP.

Motel, food and car rental (if needed), are covered by most Insurance companies.  Your paying for it, so why not use it?  See my Post above. :wub: 

Just a note about the road side assistance insurance.

We have always had it for the cars and the kids also and over the years some interesting interactions. 

The ones that stand out have been - Toe Truck drivers listing on there radios and jumping road service calls. Should this happen they will not honer the insurance carrier.

With the Advent of cellphones this issue has decreased,  but always be on your toes. 

Like Chris, I have also had a roadside tire truck not have the proper sized socket on the truck and you need to remember that - the service tech does not own them a truck or car fleet service does and some drivers do not always keep things picked up or know that the correct tools are on the truck. Carrying the proper sized sockets does have its advantages. As they say BTDT.

When one needs help and you have roadside service, when those trucks show up and turn on there emergency lights in high traffic areas they are often putting there welfare on the line to help you. 

SO, when you see a service truck on the side of the road - Just move over or slow down - The difference can be someones life and the difference in your arrival time is only seconds most of the time.

Rich.