TimeTraveler

Onan Kawaski engined generator

Previous Poster about coolant leak  in generator engine prompted me t ask this. Hadn't though about it in a while.

Does the coolant in these generators need changing?

Use old auto coolants, and some now, turn acidic after a few years and start eating at the metal particularly radiator seems and tubes and sensors.

Or is the coolant long life or permanent?

Kawaski engine in an Onan generator??? 

Please post what Onan generator you have.

And, as a general statement, yes all coolants need to be changed.  But their effective life varies quite a lot depending on coolant chemistry.  And, if OE coolant, follow your equipment manufacturer's maintenance schedule.  If it has been changed, follow the maintenance schedule of the coolant manufacturer.

Onan is owned and manufactured by Cummins Inc.!  You can re build one, with another engine , but then it would no longer be a Onan.  Gas, Diesel or NG/Propane, they are all built and manufactured by Cummins...Period.

I tried too find out any thing on Kawaski (nice name) and got Zero on Google, Bing or Alibaba! Did not bother with Yahoo.

Last time I had the oil changed at a rally in Indiana they changed the generator oil and filter too.

The tech said it was kawasaki or however it is spelled. Perhaps he is wrong. It's 7500 not so quiet diesel.

I hadn't really thought about it, just remembered what he said,, yesterday pm, when I thought maybe I should have the generator coolant changed.

Sounds  real good after consideration. Near as I remember it has not been changed since 06.

However there are coolants on the market like Caterpillar and Freightliner equivalent which that are very long reccomnded interval.

TT, I test ours annually along with the engine. When I replaced it I also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, very simple to work on especially if yours is on a slide. Whomever is working on it make sure they check the belt on the engine, its on the back side.

I wasn't sure what coolant to use in it, ours is also a 7500 watt made by Onan. I called Cummins with the serial number and they recommended what coolant to use, that's what I bought, crazy but good, its the same for the coach engine, keeps it simple. 

I would recommend a low silica coolant as I had to replace the radiator on my Onan because it was plugged with silica crystals that had settled out. 

I have a kubota engine in my 7500 QD.

Bill

Kubota builds very durable engines. Have a three cylinder 4wd Kubota Tractor  with a 23 HP Diesel engine that is almost 40 years old. Still runs like a charm. Doubt that your Onan is powered by a Kawasaki.

Onan, uses Honda, Kubota and Briggs & Stratton! :)  There are after market, non OEM Kawasaki engines used, but not on a 7.5 Kw!