skyking8

Battery Replacement

I just had to replace 5-year-old batteries in my two personal vehicles, so I am wondering how long my 7-year-old open-cell RV coach batteries are going to last.

I was discussing this issue with a couple of relatives who are trained diesel mechanics. One said replace them now and the other said keep them til they die. The "die" comment came with a recommendation that I should be putting battery acid in them every other time that I refill the liquid. When I mentioned that a couple of the batteries, out of the six, have a bit of bowing on the side, he said that's not unusual in hot weather climates; which is where I am. He maintains some heavy equipment that has 10-year-old batteries by doing that.

Replacing six batteries at once isn't cheap. But to do so solely based on a date stamp is not a wise fiscal decision. I'm wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can add to my other two pieces of advice.

The only reason to replace them before they actually fail is if you camp where replacement batteries are not reasonably available. So if you are headed for the south of Mexico where deep cycle batteries are not readily available, replace now. If in the U.S. or Canada, I would use them until they fail.

And I have never heard of adding acid to batteries. When they outgas, they give off Hydrogen and Oxygen. Adding distilled water replenished that.

Brett Wolfe

Guest BillAdams

I would go with the "use them until they die" philosophy unless (as mentioned above) you are headed for an area where this might be a problem. I also have never heard of needing to add acid but it is critical that you never add anything other than distilled water (not pure, purified or mountain stream, only distilled). The batteries will last until they do not. If you dry camp a lot you will begin to notice that the batteries don't last as long as they used to. In theory, before the really die you will find that the batteries simply are taking too much time to stay charged and it's simply not worth it any longer.

Adding acid to them is contrary to everything I have read on battery maintenance. Go directly to some of the battery manufacturers sites and read what they have to say on the subject but everything I have ever seen says NEVER add acid, only distilled water.

I have never heard of adding acid to your deep cycle batteries. I also use deep cycle batteries at a small remote hunting cabin (with a solar charger) for a 12 volt lighting system. Ionly use distilled water in those batteries and my motorhome batteries. I would caution to only use distilled water and not tap water. As expense as these batteries are I would replace them when they fail.

I just replaced my 7 year old house batteries. Not because they were bad, but because of the age and the fear that if/when they fail, they could take the charger/inverter with them. These batteries still had normal specific gravity and voltage readings and had never had anything but distilled water added to them. Nor had they ever been overcharged or completely discharged and were always kept clean. They very possibly could have lasted another two or three years, but I just figured that 7 years was long enough and they were beginning to require water more often. That is a sure sign of more charge current. My chassis batteries are the same age and I plan to use them as long as they pass my monthly checks (specific gravity and voltage).

First let me apologize for not getting a timely reply to everyone's help. Shortly after posting I left for a remote location that barely had daylight much less internet connetion.

The suggestion to do some research on batteries was a good one. I did that and found this website. http://www.batteryfaq.org/ There's a wealth of info here that applies to all vehicle battery situations.

Checking the health of a battery by specific gravity was one of the tips that will be especially useful since I have six house batteries. Disconnecting and reconnection 17 cables from that bank of batteries would be a nightmare.

Thanks for the help, guys.