TimeTraveler

Air Pressure Doubler

2012 we were at a rally in Oklahoma. Driver's Side steer was low. Valve stem was loose and if not for the metal sealing valve stem cap would have been flat, perhaps.

My onboard  compressor would not bring up the pressure. The onboard compressor is rated to 125psi. which seem more than enough to get the tire 90lbs

When we left we could not find a station with a working compressor. A Semi Driver  offered his help. He had a nice locking chuck, that did not leak too.

It would not air up with his compressor, which was essentially the same as his truck was a Freightliner.

I decided I need get a get an air pressure doubler installed like, I believe Newmar used at install at  the factory, on their coaches.

Trouble is could not find one. Anyone looked into this type of equipment and price range?

TT,

If your coaches compressor and the trucker's compressor would not air up the tire, my thought would be to check out the valve stem. I may have something in it.

and not letting air through.

Herman

The air pressure in my coach will not start making air again until it reches the cut in point of 89#, and then reaches maximum of 125#, it shuts down again. To overcome this when extra air is needed, I have a bleed valve installed for the reason of making the compressor start back to making air, I have a pressure gauge mounted just after the relief valve to monitor when to release when needed. This way, I am able to air up to about 120# tire pressure without much problem. One other simple way is to install an auxillary tank after all others with a fitting to attach a hose, and install a check valve on the air entrance of that tank, this way it will fill to the maximum air pressure that your system will and will not bleed back down unless you draw against it, of course you will still need to work your system so that maximum pressure is retained untill you are finished filling tires, although the system will work well for just topping off a tire.

Joe,

Good point. If the tire and the pump are the same pressure nothing is going to happen. The in line gauge let you know if they are equal. Nice set up.

Herman

Our on board system will work but is a PITA.  I bought a Porter-Cable 6 gallon 150 PSI AC compressor at Lowes for $99.  So much easier and I don't have to start the engine.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

Our on board system will work but is a PITA.  I bought a Porter-Cable 6 gallon 150 PSI AC compressor at Lowes for $99.  So much easier and I don't have to start the engine.

If I had room something like this would be my 1st choice. I might get creative so I can change my own tires on the road. 

Joe, changing a tire is one thing, carrying a tire on rim around is another!  Saw an older (from the 90's) American Dream, DP, last week, he had a spare tire mounted on front.

I have always carried a spare, I won't go anywhere with out one.  I my current coach, 98 Fleetwood Discovery, I mounted a spare under the propane tank along side of the engine on the passenger side.  It has an electric winch to lift it into position.  I have professional tire changing tools so I can mount a tire on the wheel.  I use the on board air for powering the impact wrench, airing up tires, etc.  I have a 1 inch air impact wrench and use my levelers to jack the coach.  I have a Tire Minder transmitter on the spare so I can monitor the pressure.

8 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I have always carried a spare, I won't go anywhere with out one.  I my current coach, 98 Fleetwood Discovery, I mounted a spare under the propane tank along side of the engine on the passenger side.  It has an electric winch to lift it into position.  I have professional tire changing tools so I can mount a tire on the wheel.  I use the on board air for powering the impact wrench, airing up tires, etc.  I have a 1 inch air impact wrench and use my levelers to jack the coach.  I have a Tire Minder transmitter on the spare so I can monitor the pressure.

Carl, id carry just the tire and tools to swing it on the side of the road, done so many of them over the years its pretty simple, have all of the tools to do so, just don't have adequate air for the Bead Seater

DD...---Now that's the set up!!

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Carl, id carry just the tire and tools to swing it on the side of the road, done so many of them over the years its pretty simple, have all of the tools to do so, just don't have adequate air for the Bead Seater

DD...---Now that's the set up!!

The 22.5 wheels don't need a bead seater,  just line up the bead evenly on the wheel and minimum air volume will seat it.  Aluminum wheels are even easier.  I've done it a number of times on the side of the road as well as at home.

Bill, the one I have is very similar to that. DD, haven't been that luck every time, guess I could bring a ratchet strap to squeeze the tire in lieu of....

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Bill, the one I have is very similar to that. DD, haven't been that luck every time, guess I could bring a ratchet strap to squeeze the tire in lieu of....

One time I did have an issue with seating the bead because the tire was stored laying flat on the floor with other tires on top of it.  The beads were to close to each other.  With the bottom bead in place I used duck tape between  the loose bead and the wheel and it worked.  I have used a ratchet strap with limited success because the tire is pretty stiff.

We always are in need of some more space. Another compressor would take up more room, if we had any left.

The Doubler should be able to be mounted similar to the Foretravel's i would hope.

The compressor not kicking in until pressure is low will still have enough pressure for a car tire but not our 22.5s.

So if anyone runs across a source, preferably cheap, holler.

I guess I am shocked that anyone with a 40' MH or larger would carry a spare and/or equipment to change a tire.  How often do you have flats?  Is this an annual event or maybe happens every 4 or 5 years?  

I have a cheap compressor to air tires to 125psi plus jacks/tools/spare for my trailer.  We are fairly new to MH's though, am I missing something?

Although I also carry a compressor, I usually leave my tire changing needs to the roadside assistance crew....

51 minutes ago, ISPJS said:

I guess I am shocked that anyone with a 40' MH or larger would carry a spare and/or equipment to change a tire.  How often do you have flats?  Is this an annual event or maybe happens every 4 or 5 years?  

I have a cheap compressor to air tires to 125psi plus jacks/tools/spare for my trailer.  We are fairly new to MH's though, am I missing something?

The reason I carry a spare is in the event I need it I have it.  Usually if you have a spare part with you it is never needed.  I've traveled over 400K miles in 42 years in about 10 different motorhomes and had to change about 12 tires.  I always carry a fire extinguisher but fortunately have never needed it.

Concern 1; is I am not retired so the possibility of sitting for several hours could and would most likely force me to extend my vacation. This the reason I will often drive for 12 hours, no choice with limited time off, this reiterated the reason we bought a DP, to be comfortable and not worn out on an extended drive. 

Concern 2; what tire are they going to sell me that is worth $300 that I will pay $800 for because I have no choice?

Concern 3; being a service manager in the trucking industry, dealing with manufacturers and mechanics all the time, I have little faith most could effectively change a tire from the beginning to end of that process without putting us at risk afterwards or cutting corners as they get paid by the job plus mileage and the faster it gets done the more money they make. This practice often creates the most problems. 

Just picked up our Jeep from the dealer with the 3rd failed radiator under warranty, you should have seen that hack job. I had to correct some in the parking lot and the rest when I got home and that happened in a shop which is a controlled environment, not on the roadside.

8 minutes ago, jleamont said:

....I have little faith most could effectively change a tire from the beginning to end of that process without putting us at risk afterwards or cutting corners as they get paid by the job plus mileage and the faster it gets done the more money they make. This practice often creates the most problems...

Along the same lines, when we had our RF blowout a couple of years ago, we called GS road service.  The guy they sent had very little room in which to work, the shoulder was very narrow with the RF wheel right on the edge of a 45 degree embankment.  He jacked up the coach and changed the tire without ever removing the rim.  He was very fast and good...and said, "please don't tell anybody I did not remove the rim."

A local small fleet owner always replaced his steer tires without removing the rim. Swore by it! Had fifteen 18 wheelers.

Don't want to get Brett mad at me ,but I also carry a Porter-Cable 150 PSI  6 gallon compressor for tire inflation. However I never travel into areas with high ambient outside air moisture. 

I carry the portable compressor in the back of our Subaru Forester.

4 minutes ago, obedb said:

A local small fleet owner always replaced his steer tires without removing the rim. Swore by it! Had fifteen 18 wheelers.

Don't want to get Brett mad at me ,but I also carry a Porter-Cable 150 PSI  6 gallon compressor for tire inflation. However I never travel into areas with high ambient outside air moisture. 

I carry the portable compressor in the back of our Subaru Forester.

Obedb, that is your real world experience kicking in.