rfsod48

What tire if price no concern

44 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Richard, do you have a spare tire compartment on your GMC? Most busses have a hidden compartment behind the front bumper, my MCI is there. I had the compartment open checking the condition of the tire the other day when my wife walked by, her eyes got big as saucers and said, you mean we actually have a spare tire on this coach, that's a first.

Yup. Spare tire, bottle jack, run-up ramp, and tire changing tools. Not that I'd ever think of changing it myself, as I can barely get it out of the area behind the front bumper. A 315/80R22.5 tire mounted on a steel wheel weighs a couple of pounds, at least. Nice to know it's there though.

I just assumed that for the money charged for the new Class A rigs they'd include a spare tire. There's got to be room on them for at least an unmounted tire, no?

Richard.

You would think so.  Since 2007, it's all about the Bling, not about what's useful.  If the manufacturers can save a dime by cutting corners, the consumer gets screwed.  You get what you pay for? That does not apply any more!  

I have room, tools and no tire. I’ll pick up one someday soon. I’m not going to carry it mounted. I’ll just pay a road service to hang it. I’ll keep my torque wrench onboard to make sure it’s torques properly. It’s rare to find a mobile service that will torque properly rather than just hammer it on. 

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

I have room, tools and no tire. I’ll pick up one someday soon. I’m not going to carry it mounted. I’ll just pay a road service to hang it. I’ll keep my torque wrench onboard to make sure it’s torques properly. It’s rare to find a mobile service that will torque properly rather than just hammer it on. 

What torque wrench do you carry? The ones I've seen were huge, heavy, and expensive.

A standard good quality torque wrench with a long handle under 2 feet will work, but you need a torque multiplier than multiplies minimally times 4 or a 6 foot bar with extension and blocks= WORK. This conversation was in vogue a couple years a ago supplying numerous resources for getting this job done. Many of you have "big rubber" tires, me mine are small by comparison. I have tools on board like Joe, a spare loose tire sitting in the barn and no good place to put it,except maybe up top on the roof. I would mount it on the front of the rig but there is a gen set there. The idiot that designed the cargo door setup on this coach was not thinking at the time so no, one can not get it underneath either.

Bill E.  You haul a big trailer that could easily handle more than one spare tire!  Suspended inside or flat on the roof !!!

My toad is a 2008 Saturn Vue. I fold down the 2nd seat and put an unmounted tire in the back of it. I don’t like that setup but it’s  better than not having a spare. When we get where we’re going I leave it in or take it out depending on how much driving we’re going to be doing. Not the best but it works. I’ve been hoping someone would come up with a real good idea to solve the problem. Still hoping!🤞

Paul

11 hours ago, jleamont said:

When I  planned to swap out the tires on our first coach, I thought I'd keep the best tire as a spare.  However, we went with this Eagle before the last coach needed tires....the problem I have now is that there are 315s on the front and six 295s on the rear.  I really don't want to lug around two spares.

Having the same setup, as FIVE, if (a big if) I keep this coach to 2020, I will get 8 of the same size & readily available!  Linda would like to have one of the golf carts with us (we got 2), that = a trailer for toad & GC!  I like it, spare for coach and trailer! :) 

12 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Yea what's with the two different sizes and the larger on the rear????????? OEM or a solution to too much weight in front???????

That's my guess Bill. Personally Id seek out a tire that is capable of handling all positions and once they wear/age out replace all of them.

My set up (315s on the front and 295s on the rear) is OEM.  The reason is the front axle is 17k....the rears are 20k dually and 12k tag.  The dually axle is actually 25k, but the axle rating is based on the lowest rated component....thus the 20k rating.  I have a friend with an 08 Eagle, it came off the line and to him with the front axle over GAWR.  He swapped out the axle, at his expense.

I am thinking that would be the best way to have handled it if money were not a big issue or a different coach that did it correctly to begin with. What other things are that way on the coach, To me that seems like a "HACK" way of solving a problem. Was that done by an "Engineer"???:huh:

B

I would think that anything having to do with the axles=chassis, not coach manufacturer!  Whomever pulled that axle & mounted it to the chassis, was not an engineer!

Depends Carl, if it was spec'd that way...who writes the specifications certainly not the guy mechanicing. Yes he could have pulled the wrong part...Quality Controll comes to mind. You are probably correct not the house builder.

In 43 years of motor homing in 10+ coaches I have never gone anywhere without a spare.  My last two diesel pushers I installed an electric winch to hoist the spare off the ground and mount into place.  It fits between the engine and the side, under the propane tank.  I use a 1 inch air wrench and have professional tire changing tools if I need to slip on an different tire.

6 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

My last two diesel pushers I installed an electric winch

I considered this!! I have room between the rear bumper and side radiator.

I am a new member who has been trying to read everything I can on the tire topic.

We have a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL WKP39QD.  It came with and continues to have Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5s.  As I have spent every spare moment lately researching and thinking about new tires, I came across this concern as I reviewed the placard.  The GAWR front is listed as 10,410 lbs.  Divide that, and you get 5,205 lbs.  The placard lists the cold inflation pressure as 105 psi.  Looking at the Michelin website for these tires, it lists the inflation pressure for single 5,205 lbs to be 110 psi which is also the max load and pressure for this particular tire.

So, I am assuming that something has changed in the past 15 years with these tires to make Michelin feel they require 5 more lbs to carry the same weight.  In that case, I am concerned that I have zero wiggle room (as I think one gentleman ups his inflation by 10% - maybe Bill?).  Meaning, at my max GAWR front, I would have to max out this G rated tire.  This is making me want to move up to an H rated tire at a minimum.  However, as you probably are aware, I cannot find another tire in this size.

I have learned enough from you all to realize I need to be aware of the Min Dual Spacing required as well as possibly clearance for the wheel wells.  It seems that most of the "close" sizes have a higher (at least by 4/10 of an inch or more) Min Dual Spacing requirement.  I have the stock 22.5x8.25 aluminum rims.

At this point, I really do not care about the price.  I am not trying to be uppity, but even a $1000 overall price difference (less than $200/year) is not worth the hassle or worry.  I just want tires that are comfortable and safe.  Comfort may mean higher load range for a bit lower inflation pressure.  Safe, to me, means I have a margin on the weight (yes, I know not to exceed the GAWR - but the pressure max on the old tires seems a concern).

In a previous DP, I replaced the XRVs w/Toyos.  My personal experience was that the old XRVs had a superior comfort (very noticeable for us) to the new Toyos (M154s).  I do believe Toyos are very good tires, so I am not trashing them.  I am just stating my experience on a previous motorhome. 

Any advice or suggestions would be awesome.  I really do need to make a decision ASAP.

265/75R22.5 and 275/70R22.5 are same od 

If your rim width and turn lock to lock has no interference you can go to a wider tire  

bmctx.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

When was the last time you had your coach weight, with every thing in it, for a normal trip?  How long have you owned this coach & what is the DOT # on all your tires, are they the same numbers?

bm02tj..  What year, make & model coach do you have?

4 hours ago, manholt said:

bmctx.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

When was the last time you had your coach weight, with every thing in it, for a normal trip?  How long have you owned this coach & what is the DOT # on all your tires, are they the same numbers?

bm02tj..  What year, make & model coach do you have?

My Motor home is a 1816MG Renegade  by Kibbe  on a FL80 Freightliner chassis with lots of room