sabredog

Recommendation for Wi-Fi

We are looking for Wi-Fi for parks that do not have Wi-Fi, cell service or cable TV. Saw an ad in Camping World for Winegard Connect 2.0. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? Would like to be able to connect our lap top for email and for TV shows on the net.

We have used our data plan on our cellphones as our only internet connection for our laptops (30 gb/mo), but I don’t think I would stream tv shows. Even wifi at most campgrounds would not support streaming well enough. 

sabredog.  Welcome to the Forum!

Most parks, even if they have the capabilities for streaming....will shut you down!  Not fair for one to disrupt service to all the others! :)

If the park has no cell service, I don't think you can use your phone for a hot spot. No Park wifi, no cell service and no cable only leaves you with satellite for service.

Cell service would depend on the location of the carrier's towers in relation to the park. The parks really has nothing to do with it other than location. There are maps online which you can use to find out how far the nearest tower is that services your phone and which direction it is in. Here is one of them: http://www.cellreception.com/

We just purchased an external antenna for our Jetpack. It allows us to connect to a tower that is further away than we could get to without it. Since the body on our coach is metal, it really helps for us to put the antenna in the window facing the nearest tower (of course, you'll have to know that little piece of information before you get to the dead zone).

10 hours ago, sabredog said:

We are looking for Wi-Fi for parks that do not have Wi-Fi, cell service or cable TV. Saw an ad in Camping World for Winegard Connect 2.0. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? Would like to be able to connect our lap top for email and for TV shows on the net.

Dont know what you are really looking for, if a park doesn't have Wi-Fi, cell service, or cable TV, it is hard to improve on that fact. The device that you are asking about does not provide any of the three, only a claim that it will boost the signal of possibly a hot spot connection. As Richard pointed out, knowing the location of a cell tower can make it easier to boost that signal, and the reviews of the questioned antenna would make that easier because it appears to be omnidirectional, meaning that IF it sees a signal then it will boost that higher. The same device will improve your cell phone also if you purchase the model at double the price, again, if it see's no signal, there is nothing to boost. Yes an outside antenna can be better for a RV'ers reception than depending on the devices internal antenna while inside the RV. By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Thanks so much to all! Lots of great information and lots to consider!!! And many thanks... before we spent a small fortune and had to deal with hours of frustration!!

Wow - I just realized how much I'd love to be stranded for a while in a park with no wi-fi, cell phone, or cable. What a perfect excuse to disconnect for a while.

6 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Wow - I just realized how much I'd love to be stranded for a while in a park with no wi-fi, cell phone, or cable. What a perfect excuse to disconnect for a while.

The last two years with have stayed a month in the boundary waters area of Minnesota with no cell service, television or internet,  I must admit, it was pretty darn nice. No tv was the best part. 

7 hours ago, richard5933 said:

...and connect with a fishing pole.

Linda tapes shows and movies for later!  :blink:  When she's not on Face Book!  When we where in Norway & Sweden last year, she asked, "how come the TV shows are in Norwegian?  Ummm! I just bite my lip. 

Punxsy.  Your right. :)

23 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

If the park has no cell service, I don't think you can use your phone for a hot spot. No Park wifi, no cell service and no cable only leaves you with satellite for service.

I have had internet data service several times when I couldn’t make cellular calls and I could see the cell tower. Seems that cellular data gets through even when voice will not. 

Never made it up there. I have been to the area by the Bad River Reservation. We were also in Sault Ste. Marie on that trip. Yes I  have been to the UP.;)

Bill

One thing to stay on topic. When close to the Canadian border it is best to turn off your cell phone. Your phone will pick up a canadian tower and you won't know it. If it does and you don't have a plan covering Canada you will get stuck with some hi phone bills. International Roaming is not cheap. 

Bill 

Yea, made that mistake in Lajitas, TX.  $123+taxes to check on weather and make a reservation in Del Rio! :angry:  Bounced off a Mexican Tower, twice!