starrcreek

Fuel Filter/ Water Seperator

How many drain the water separator fuel filter on the Cummins engine?

Well this morning I found an easy way to unscrew the drain plug, using the body of a Orbit lawn sprinkler, 2" pop up, model # 54127 fit perfect, as a socket! Has three ridges inside to grip the cap.:)

d966b_fc2b.jpg?c=c72c

Does your filter have a "water in fuel" sensor?  If so, draining frequently is less critical.

Proper draining procedure:

With engine OFF, position a clear glass jar under the drain.  Open it long enough to allow any water or dirt to drain/until clear diesel comes out.

If the filter is mounted high, best to do this with a full fuel tank and/or nose of coach UPHILL.  This insures that the drain doesn't turn into an "inlet" allowing air in and fuel draining back to tank. 

Agree with all stated.  1st time,  long ago,  only partially drain.  Not good:o.  Yes have sensors.   Amazing amount of  water in fuel from different fuel stops..  Another that I do after changing filter/drain is turn key to start about 8 times for about 15 seconds each.  I understand this will prime the filter. :wacko: 

Brett, another addition to my rig; Travel Supreme 2007 (original owner) slide out battery tray, replaced tray glides with 500 lb glides, original 100 lb each for 6 batteries!  Also house batteries, 6 positive cables to one battery lug of the coach  batteries,  installed new positive post to battery compartment side wall to handle/terminate the cables, with new one 3/0 cable to the battery post. Positive/negative post available online.   Now easy slide for battery inspection/cleaning. 

Safe travels to all!

Is that your filter in the photo or an example? If that is your filter it looks like its time to replace it with all of that rust on top. As a rule of thumb, if a filter is old enough to rust the element inside could be breaking down from age. 

Thanks for the tip.

If you not seen any water in the bowl to drain, then you have a fuel/ water separator that is not up to the task. Since 1977, I have used Racor Fuel Water Separators on my truck. The bowl is large and plastic. Water and sediment is easily observable. Usually drained the mess at every fuel stop, but then I was burning more fuel than now. Usually 200 or more gallons between fills. The Racor was easy to drain the crud from . Open the drain petcock, loosen the T handle on the top, lift the lid in order to break the vacuum, drain the crud, drop the lid and tighten it. Never had a problem loosing prime. To repeat/ if you never see a reason to drain the filter you have a sub standard piece of equipment.

Byron,

As long as you COULD SEE water of dirt (i.e. the clear bowl style) he is fine as long as he checks it visually periodically. Best time is the next time you stop after filling the diesel tank.

But, if not a clear bowl where you could see contamination, a good idea to occasionally drain a small amount just to verify-- even if you have a "water in fuel" sensor in the filter.

Brett

Just talking about my experience. Career spanned 46 years. Covered a lot of ground in that time and drained a lot of crud out of filters. All Diesel engines need clean fuel reaching the injectors if they are to live a long life. Big rigs many 100,000s of thousand miles / pushers no where near those numbers, but your Foretravel lasted a ton of miles comparatively speaking.

I would never depend  on an electronic sender to tell what is going on with a fuel filter. Just sign me/ Skeptical.

Byron,

I agree.

Hence my statement above: " But, if not a clear bowl where you could see contamination, a good idea to occasionally drain a small amount just to verify-- even if you have a "water in fuel" sensor in the filter. "

And about that many years of diesel experience, and many of those in the marine industry where contaminated fuel was a much bigger issue. Marine environments, pretty much by definition are "high humidity" and many boats sit/store fuel for years at a time. Lead to a "cottage industry" of FUEL POLISHING.