Sign in to follow this  
BlueSpring

From A to B

We have been RVing First with a Travel trailer. Then with Fifth wheel. But in 2012 we switched a type A.

Now we are considering going to a B. Does anyone here have one of the new B s  built on  the Ram van?

We have been checking out the Hymer as well as Road Trek.

If you have made the switch was it hard? 

5 hours ago, BlueSpring said:

We have been RVing First with a Travel trailer. Then with Fifth wheel. But in 2012 we switched a type A.

Now we are considering going to a B. Does anyone here have one of the new B s  built on  the Ram van?

We have been checking out the Hymer as well as Road Trek.

If you have made the switch was it hard? 

Question... were you thinking of purchasing "new"...? 

If you can find a late model vs. getting a brand new rig.. you'll save money, at least that's my opinion.. trouble is finding exactly what you want... 

Also, keep in mind that the gasoline versions of Class B's are not built to the same standards as the Mercedes Benz Sprinter....  

We went from a teardrop trailer to the Class B.... So, in answer to your question, NO, we didn't have any problems whatsoever making the switch.. 

Hymer and Roadtrek are sister companies...in fact, Roadtrek is part of the Ervin Hymer group...they got absorbed by Hymer... great company...

I had a few questions about my RS Adventurous..a used vehicle and the representative called me back and answered every one of my questions... never rushed me off the phone.... I appreciated that.....

Roadtrek makes a lot of different models.. but, they ONLY make Class B's.... they're not trying to be in every market segment which means they focus on one thing only...and they have been in business building Class B's since 1974...

In case you are wondering...NO.... I don't work for them.... BUT, I did a lot of research and have a friend who is on his second Roadtrek and highly recommended it to me...

My average MPG with the diesel engine is 18.. although I have gotten 19 to 21 depending on where I was going...all flat ground etc.. 

The main difference between the gasoline and diesels is the mileage and performance....sure, the diesel are more expensive...to buy and maintain?? We'll see...One thing is that the diesel engine won't slow down climbing mountains...if you plan on going to do a lot of steep mountain driving... you're going to want the diesel...and the Mercedes Benz tiptronic transmission is really great!! 

I purchased my rig 5 years old last May 2017....so, it's just a little less than one year old for me... saved almost 50  percent off the sales price of a brand new rig.... that's a lot on a Class B.... most newer Class B's ..it's not just the price..it's the sales tax... let me tell you it all adds up...

If I were you..I'd go look at them, drive each model and look at the various features .. plus look at the WEIGHT CAPACITY...of each rig... not as important on the Class B's, but, it's all important.....

One final thing... for me, getting the dual wheels setup in the back was really important.... because, it gives you better stability...one of the first things I did was examine all the tires... they looked fine, but, were approaching 6 years... remember, Roadtrek takes a coach from the manufacturer..in my case, Mercedes...it was a coach conversion on a late 2011 model... they converted it and sold it as a 2012 RS Adventurous... pretty much everyone does this as well....

There's going to be a driving difference between a front wheel vs. rear wheel driving setup... again, the Ram Promaster has been getting very good reviews... Roadtrek definitely sells them.... look at the Roadtrek website.....

I've heard the Roadtrek Zion and Simplicity are quite capable...

If you're giving up the Class A...is that because of poor mileage, or just too big for you....the great thing about the Class B is we can take it everywhere....

Last year... took it across the USA on an almost 11,000 miles grand tour... there's no place you can't take this .....

Good luck...we searched for quite some time... finally found a slightly used model with only 26,000 miles....

I know....I'm asking IF they'd considered a late model????

AND, I pointed out various options for a gasoline or diesel powered rig...