fnlatch

Good Year Tires on towed vehicle

On December 1, 2017 Walmart installed 5 new Goodyear tires on my Wrangler. The fifth was for the spare. The old tires had tread but were 7 years old. I tow this Jeep behind an RV. I bought the tires to avoid a blowout while towing. There were new tires on the RV as well. On January 20 we started our seasonal trip to Florida. About 4:00 pm, the left front tire came apart destroying the fender, turn signal, side marker, bent front bumper, ripped the wiring from the RV that controls lights, as well as the front Jeep wiring left side. When I stopped, nothing but a piece of wire was wrapped around the front rim. No rubber and the alloy rim damaged beyond use. At that point I just thought I picked up a nail and got a flat. Thank goodness I had a new spare was my thought. The next day, 1/21/18, about 3:00 pm the right rear tire came apart and when I got stopped the only thing left was about an inch where the tire meets the rim, 2 rings of rubber. I had to have the Jeep towed to the nearest tire center, Firestone Complete Auto Care. There, I noticed that the right front tire had small pieces of rubber missing. I replaced all the remaining Goodyear tires. I Contacted both Walmart, which reimbursed me, and Goodyear. Goodyear had me fill out a claim form. They made arrangements to have the right front tire and the 2 pieces shipped back to them. I received a certified form letter stating the one tire has normal wear (chunks of rubber missing is normal wear?) and manufactured fine. The two pieces of the rear tire was lost??? I contacted Goodyear by phone and asked how that determination can be made when two new tires, one day apart, came apart and a third showing signs of a problem.  Since they don’t have a tire to examine they claim the problem is not theirs. They said to send pictures. The result was the same.

My question is has anybody had problem a with Goodyear tires failing? A recent article in a local paper showed Goodyear had problems with RV tires. This info was supplied by NHTSA.

Contact NHTSA.  They are currently investigating the 95 death's associated with the G159 tires, that was produced until 2003!  Did you write down the DOT numbers on the Wall Mart tires and looked at the DOT # before you bought them?  How about the replacement Firestone's or your coach tires?

You did the right thing by replacing the remaining Goodyear tires.  Obviously defective.  Mfg's that don't accept responsibility for their products are not worthy of your dollars.  Who's going to repair you jeep?  Goodyear should.  I'll bet you're not the first person to experience faulty tires from that batch.  I understand the Goodyear tires sold through Wally world are different than the same line of tires sold at other retail outlets - cheaper?  I've given up on buying tires through WM.  Tire Rack is getting my business from now on.  They ship the tires I select to a local shop that mounts and balances and installs them.  Very satisfied with the arrangement. 

Glad no one was injured and I hope you come out alright on getting everything repaired.  It's a shame you have to go through all the BS to make things right.

Moonwink.

Just make sure the DOT date is no more than 3 months old.  That's hard to do, when you don't have visual, before you pay for them!

WOW... I had 4 new Goodyear Assurance tires put on my company car last year. While I didn't experience this type of failure I had a serious problem of another. The car was like driving on ice, every time I'd step on the brakes the ABS would engage and it would slide to a stop. Trying to turn a corner I almost went off the road several times. Right now you are thinking SLOW DOWN....I was driving under the yellow posted truck sign speed in a car. Had those replaced after two weeks of white knuckle driving, no problem since with the replacement tires of a different brand.

At one point Goodyear was making some of their tires in China, are these some of those?

we had Goodyear’s on our 5th wheel, had a blowout that destroyed fender etc. same thing, all that was left was the bead, Goodyear did pay me for a tire but not the damage. 

Goodyear has the worst record for refusing warranty. The infamous G670 tires are a good example. Gy refuses to accept any responsibility.

Moisheh

38 minutes ago, moisheh said:

Goodyear has the worst record for refusing warranty. The infamous G670 tires are a good example. Gy refuses to accept any responsibility.

Moisheh

670 or 159???