TimeTraveler

State or County Fair Tours etc

Question

Does anyone here tour the several County and or State Fairs. They seem to start first in the northern states and as weeks go ,by further south.

We have only been to a few over the past several years. The one in Marshal Michigan was a good show but the last 6 or 7 years not as much.

I guess more attendance or the centers of agriculture are shifting.

Maybe out west there are larger or better fairs?

The Ky State Fair at Louisville seems to be packed but I don't much care for two or thee hundred acres of asphalt in the very ht and humid sun.

I guess that is one reason we liked the one in Michigan. Never very warm.

In Canada I read of some great shows but I bet the distances between them are pretty great. Not talking about the ones they hold in the big cities.

So anyone run a States and or Counties Fair route or just some favorites?

8 answers to this question

That was quick. Every since I saw State Fair I have thought about Texas. Is it under 100 around fair time?

The races, of wagons and teams, I would like to see. Can't think of the name of the event.

I'm seventy this year might try the ferris wheel and flying teacups etc one last time too.

What I like, just like a kid, is the horses and animals, as  long as they don't stand on my foot. Of course the old and new tractors and equipment, and all the stuff I'm not supposed to eat.....but I don't want thee carnival fired everything stuff they how on the tv show, or pinto bean and cucumber ice cream etc.

LA. State Fair in Shreveport, LA.  October.  Did not see any tractors, but plenty of animals and tea cups!

Florida State Fair in January...everything you want and cool weather!

The Kansas State Fair in early September is a good one. They have Antique Tractor Pulls, lots of livestock, great vendors, live entertainment, and it is not too big that you can't see it all.

Herman

X3 on Texas fair, been there twice, and had an incredible time both times. Haven't rv'd there, so can't speak to campgrounds, but my third time there, I'll be in my rv. Dallas has tons of stuff to do, lots of JFK stuff, and the best part? ....The Longhorn/Sooners football game!

The mule/horse pulls are great once you get into it. Putnam County Tn fair one year was a good show.

Those horses especially break hands and arms while they are being hooked up.  They want to pull real bad.

Saw a couple teams, of horses, down on their knees trying to pull the sled  a few more inches. I love their spirit.

The horses have more fun than the people.

It's not a county or state fair, but a fantastic event each year in Wyoming is the ten day long Cheyenne Frontier Days.   This year's Cheyenne Frontier Days is July 20-29, 2018 which aligns nicely with the FMCA International Convention in Gillette, Wyoming July 18 - 21, 2018.   As a native Wyomingite, I spent time at several Frontier Days performing in the big Frontier Days Parade with high school and U of Wyoming marching bands and enjoying rodeos events concerts and other stuff with then girlfriend and now wife of 37 years.   More info about Cheyenne Frontier Days is available at the "official" website --> http://www.cfdrodeo.com/  

Then after Frontier Days, head west 175 miles and spend time in Saratoga, Wyoming and the Snowy Range (Medicine Bow National Forest) to enjoy the great camping, fly fishing, hiking and hot springs in the area.

Someday I'll reach retirement and will have time for a two - three week adventure to my native Wyoming.   Now I'm homesick.....