He's back again. Can any of you block layers tell me what's wrong here? I see this quite a bit in the RV parks, mostly with the permanents. Not so much with the motorhomes but with the bumper pulls and 5'ers who like to settle in for the long haul. I really cringe when I see guys propping their vehicles up with this set up and crawling underneath thinking they are safe. I'm sure the RV'ers that move around aren't going to carry a couple cinder blocks everywhere they go but I could be wrong.

IMG_5723.JPG

If you are going to use cinder blocks that is the weakest way.  The better way is to rotate it 90 degrees and put a 2 x 6 on the block flat and then the jack.

You got that right. The absolute weakest way to use them. I guess they like that nice flat area when they put them on their side like that. Yep Folks, they are out there and I will continue to photograph them. Stay tuned.

I'm thinking I should maybe post this in the "levelling" section as a PSA.

Post it on FMCA RVillage and iRV2.  I don't believe any member of this Forum, would be that dumb...then again. :blink:

28 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Those sissor type devices are not meant to be used as a jack.  All they are is stabilizers.

Ken

So, the guy is wrong on 2 counts.

31 minutes ago, manholt said:

Post it on FMCA RVillage and iRV2.  I don't believe any member of this Forum, would be that dumb...then again. :blink:

Yeh, thought about doing it on RVillage but I wasn't sure where. I guess I could do it on "tips and tricks".

He is not leveling, he is stabilizing so people can't see when the RV is rocking and rolling.

Now with that said think about the physics. Which is more stable,  a wide stance or a narrow stance. Use you legs. Stand with you feet together and have someone push your shoulder. Now stand with your feet apart and have them push your shoulder again.  It is not the point of contact but the spread of the scissors that are important. If he did not have the blocks there the stabilizers would be almost straight down. That configuration would NOT give as much stabilization as as he presently has it with the wide spread of the scissor jacks.. Also the side to side is the rock and roll so the scissor jacks are pointed in the correct position for best stabilization.  As the RV starts to rock to the side the extensions of the jacks to the side minimizes the back-n-forth.

ThiMk about it.

p.s., send money for this explanation. My brain is working hard at this.

Did he at least have his wheels properly chocked? I see lots of people using chocks that are way too small to keep the wheel from rolling right over them.

22 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

He is not leveling, he is stabilizing so people can't see when the RV is rocking and rolling.

Now with that said think about the physics. Which is more stable,  a wide stance or a narrow stance. Use you legs. Stand with you feet together and have someone push your shoulder. Now stand with your feet apart and have them push your shoulder again.  It is not the point of contact but the spread of the scissors that are important. If he did not have the blocks there the stabilizers would be almost straight down. That configuration would NOT give as much stabilization as as he presently has it with the wide spread of the scissor jacks.. Also the side to side is the rock and roll so the scissor jacks are pointed in the correct position for best stabilization.  As the RV starts to rock to the side the extensions of the jacks to the side minimizes the back-n-forth.

ThiMk about it.

p.s., send money for this explanation. My brain is working hard at this.

Don't bust a blood vessel

25 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Did he at least have his wheels properly chocked? I see lots of people using chocks that are way too small to keep the wheel from rolling right over them.

they do look a little small.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I've met one in here that it wouldn't surprise me.

At least his kayak is in place in case he forgets to empty the holding tanks. :lol: Yep the cells should be vertical for maximum strength.

You guys really need to head out to this side of the US, this is normal over here B). The problem is you would need a full bag of Lynx levelers for each corner to level off a trailer and that's expensive. I agree the blocks are heavy and most carry 6x6's and stack them like cribbing :wacko:.

Here's something to think about, that trailer has NO parking brakes, unless he has scissor chocks between the wheels that are set properly (let that sink in) those blocks are the least of his concerns. 

4 hours ago, manholt said:

"When the rig is rocking, don't come knocking"!  Guess they was in a hurry!  :blink:

You got to get your priorities straight!

On 4/8/2018 at 8:24 PM, kaypsmith said:

Yep the cells should be vertical for maximum strength.

I don't understand. Help!

If you lay concrete blocks sideways while building a swimming pool, the water will only run out the holes, those are called cells. So to build a swimming pool out of concrete blocks then the cells must be placed vertically so that the water will remain within the confines of the pool structure. Also a concrete block will withstand much more load when placed upright "vertically". In other words, they were not designed to be placed sideways.

21 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

If you lay concrete blocks sideways while building a swimming pool, the water will only run out the holes, those are called cells. So to build a swimming pool out of concrete blocks then the cells must be placed vertically so that the water will remain within the confines of the pool structure. Also a concrete block will withstand much more load when placed upright "vertically". In other words, they were not designed to be placed sideways.

Learn something new everyday :D

Joe.  That's because we have 30+ years on you!  We also learn from you, so it's a toss up!  Think off it like a egg, due to it's molecular design it's much stronger when placed end to end, pointing up/down, than laid down!  Now a cinder block wit the shiny side up is weak, turn it over so the 2 cells are facing up.  Usually they will drive a re bar in each hole when the wall is at right height & then fill with cement...If you have a cellar, that's probably what you have for walls!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

If you have a cellar, that's probably what you have for walls!

Entire house is block basement to roof, filled with Styrofoam beads, I added an outlet to the kitchen that sat into the block just slightly to clear the plaster wall. I notched out the block and opened it.... boy did that make a mess, one floor above one cell emptied all across the counter :blink: