OHIOLEGEND

MPG or who cares

I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED 3 Class A motor homes. All varied in size and weight and all got different MPG. I have just purchased a 2015 Forest River Sunseeker Class C motor home. It is 32' in length and has a V10 motor. What can I expect to get for MPG without pulling a trailer or car?

56 minutes ago, Ohiolegend said:

I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED 3 Class A motor homes. All varied in size and weight and all got different MPG. I have just purchased a 2015 Forest River Sunseeker Class C motor home. It is 32' in length and has a V10 motor. What can I expect to get for MPG without pulling a trailer or car?

Well welcome to the forum. To many variables such as what does it weigh, how do you drive, what way is the wind blowing? Good guess is 4.5 to 8.5 mpg.Go for a drive and let us know what you get.

Bill

Welcome!

Class A or C in same length, engine and weight has about the same wind resistance.  As long as your not trying to "hot rood" it, my guess would be about 9+/- !  As Bill said, there are a lot of variables....like elevation, road surface, hot/cold days, wind direction, speed, how you drive, etc.  Have your coach weight, front back, side to side..with every thing you take with you!  Then air up tires according to recommended weight.  After 1,000 miles you should have a good indication of what YOUR mpg average is! :)

I would use mpg to calculate fuel stop's!  Meantime go have fun!

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well welcome to the forum. To many variables such as what does it weigh, how do you drive, what way is the wind blowing? Good guess is 4.5 to 8.5 mpg.Go for a drive and let us know what you get.

Bill

YUP, that would be my guess on where it COULD fall.

Our last gas MH was 37' with the Ford V-10 (2014 model).  We only towed a aluminum trailer with a 1,200 pounds Harley on it.  On a really good day I could get 7mpg.  Most days were in the 6+ range.  Generally drove 62-66mph.

OhioLegend

I have 32 ft Winnebago Itasca Cambria 2014 Class C. Ford v-10 with the Ford Transmission. ? 5 speed.

I Drive with full tank of water , propane full and full tank of fuel 55 Gallons. I also pull a HHR with a golf cart

Criket sw-3 in car. I have read some reviews  on  Ford v-10  and the best posted in them is 8.8 mpg

NOW, the real info. My speed is limited to no more than 65 mph because of trans in car.

So I drive to displace on coming wind which determines speed  The v-10 likes to crank upward to 5300 rpm,

in a lower gear when it tries to stay at 63 mph while climbing grades, a way to defeat this is take it out of

over drive put it in toll haul decrease speed to 57-59 mph it will cruise at 2400 rpm best gas mileage. No cruise control at this time.

The only thing is after getting out of the hills  go back to overdrive, and cruise.

I really believe we are also somewhere 6- to 8 mpg.  So 55 gallon of gas 60 mph 330 miles  5 hours driving.

SEE, we are retired, no clocks, one tank of gas, tomorrow is another day. Take some time enjoy the ride.

SO RUN OUT OF GAS GET MORE GAS.

Tim

r

On 4/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, Ohiolegend said:

Welcome to the forum.  Our 2017 Sunseeker GTS2800 was very close to your size.  It averaged 7.5 MPG with our Ford Edge flat towed behind it.  The best MPG I saw was in the low 10's the lowest was in the mid 6's.   Since I always had the Edge with us I don't know what impact it had on our gas mileage.  From what I've read a TOAD reduces your gas mileage around .5MPG.

RedLdr1.  In a gasser your probably right.  I just got 7.4 with my 45 Foot DP, over 380 miles...that was with a 25 to 35 mph wind, from the SW and we where going NE, pulling my Jeep!

Got to love a tail wind!

Sadly, in a sailboat, that (almost) NEVER happens.  Said another way, if the wind is not on your nose, you are going the wrong way!

Brett.

If you go the wrong way long enough, you'll end up somewhere near your destination eventually....and you get to see the world. :lol:

Speaking off wind and boats.  Does that imply that you & DW is back to thinking about the Nations water ways?

19 minutes ago, manholt said:

Brett.

Speaking off wind and boats.  Does that imply that you & DW is back to thinking about the Nations water ways?

Well, "one of us is".  The Captain (me) IS.  The Admiral (Dianne) is NOT.

Even U.S. Customs understands the "ranking" on our boat-- another story!

37 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

How do you calculate mileage when under sail.:o

Smaller..=.better MPG's :lol:. Little guy on my shoulder made me do it :lol::ph34r: