rfsod48

Captains chair

Anyone replaced their captains chair in a class a? Did you do it yourself or have it done? Anyone used the air type chair semi trucks have?

Capt. chairs.

Roland.

I replaced both at a Freightliner Shop in Kansas City, on a WB 2007 Tour, 40KD...WOW, what a difference air seats made!

Carl,

Did they have seats in stock or did you order? Did the shop do the install for you? I wonder if someone in Indiana could do this? We are only a few hours away from Elkhart.

Roland

Call the local Freightliner shop. They probably have some in stock. The local shop always has some on display in the parts department. 

Bill

Roland.  Yes, they where in stock and they installed them!  I had the old (2 years) sent by truck to a friend in Galveston, told him, they where being installed later on my lower boat dock!  He did it while I was gone...great for fishing! :lol:

This is interesting. We were just talking about upgrading our capt chairs but I never considered an air ride chair. Have to look into this some more. Thanks

Keep in mind driving on an air ride seat can be very distracting for most people. You will find yourself bobbing up and down which can also be nauseating for people as the steering wheel and pedals gain distance and come back to you while driving. 

I don't want to come off like a wise guy but if you need an air ride seat in a DP you bought the wrong DP, Super C on a truck chassis I fully understand, that will beat your teeth out of your head.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Keep in mind driving on an air ride seat can be very distracting for most people. You will find yourself bobbing up and down which can also be nauseating for people as the steering wheel and pedals gain distance and come back to you while driving. 

I don't want to come off like a wise guy but if you need an air ride seat in a DP you bought the wrong DP, Super C on a truck chassis I fully understand, that will beat your teeth out of your head.

I hear ya. My seat is extremely comfortable. I just never heard of an air seat in a motorhome. In fact we probably don't even need to swap them out. Just looking into some options but I always appreciate the input.

1 hour ago, Punxsyjumper said:

I hear ya. My seat is extremely comfortable. I just never heard of an air seat in a motorhome. In fact we probably don't even need to swap them out. Just looking into some options but I always appreciate the input.

Our are worn but still squishy and comfortable. 

The seats that I put in my Tour, I could adjust the air and I never had any of Joe's symptoms...Not cheap, around $1,800 each installed.  Suspect it's more now.

I agree that the air ride seats are great for taking the "bumps" out.  Last spring I drove a brand new Penske with a load to Florida from central Illinois.  I'm sure the suspension was a little more stiff on it because it only had about 400 miles on.  That seat made all the difference in the world but you glide up and down a lot in them, or at least in a big rig you do.

In a DP with our suspensions I can't imagine needing one.

Joe S.

Roland don't have a 44 foot Ventana with tag axel...So go find a used 2005 Fleetwood Bounder to test drive, then come back and explain why on a "DP you don't need it"! :blink::rolleyes:

Only thing that I can add to this is that it's really important that you actually sit in whatever you're buying before buying it. I've seen & read about some really great seats out there, but when I put my seat in the seat they just don't feel right. That's why I'm still in the OEM driver seat in our coach. Everyone has different leg length and other measurements so the final determining factor has to be how it feels with you sit in it.

Richard.

Totally agree!  Found that out, when I took delivery of my first "Blue Water" race boat.  You don't sit as much as you stand and at 6' 9" (currently 6' 7"+), I like to beat my kidney's to death at 90+ knots!  Tried a lot of different configurations.