onlycoolcarstx

Towing Ford Edge with a Class C?

Anyone doing it?

We have a 2004 Born Free 26RB and currently tow a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Wrangler Unlimited. We have it dialed in and it tows pretty well. Two long trips: San Antonio to Florida and San Antonio to Albuquerque with no major issues.

We are needing to replace the Jeep with something more occupant friendly for my wife’s friends and elderly family. We have driven a 2015 Edge and it seems like a good candidate as long as we can successfully tow it like our Jeep. My research indicates that overall size and dry weights are similar.  The BF is rated to tow 5,000 lbs and our current configuration has us under the GCVWR.  I’ve weighed or setup a couple of times  

Next big trip is Gillette this summer.

Any input, either positive or negative will be greatly appreciated. 

Jeff

Jeff.  Welcome!

Click on Towing-Toads behind motor homes.  You can click on about 5 questions, pertaining to pros/cons of Edge!

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for the reply.  I had spent some time in the Towing-Toads section of the forum looking through the threads referencing the Ford Edge.  That's how it got onto my possibles list.  However, I didn't see anything specifically talking about towing with a C Class E-450 so I was hoping for some input from the membership if someone is actually doing it.

Jeff

Jeff.

Understood.  As you can see, we don't get much activity in the C class, unless it's the MB Sprinter!  I see no reason why you can't, as long as it does not exceed the weight as noted in the Born Free manual/chassis. 

I'm confused.  There is a Jeep Cherokee and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door Wrangler), but have never heard/seen a "Jeep Cherokee Wrangler Unlimited"!!!  Do you have a photo?

My mistake. We currently have a Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. Along with the Edge, we have also been looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk. I probably burped that out of my head and added it to my Jeep Description. Funny how the brain doesn’t work sometimes. 

Mine started doing that, at 73...has not improved in the past 2 years! :lol:

If you have no problem with the 4 door as a toad, you'll be fine with the edge!  Now, personally I would keep the current set up and buy a kitchen stool for DW's family to use! :)  Friends?  Who buys a car or change life style for non family? :P

I'm a widower and single & have no intention to go down the path again!  My SO is a widower, I know what she want's, but it will not be with me....I have my DP & she has hers!  No, there will not be a ours....at 75, I don't need Commend Law to rear it's head.  :o:rolleyes: