rfsod48

Freightliner Oasis

Is the difference in an Oasis shop worth driving an extra 50 miles? Are the techs more skilled on mh or is the difference the availability to camp at the shop the main thing? I have 82000 miles on my mh and only limited knowledge of previous service so I am going to get 90000 mile complete service now to bring everything up to date. 

My personal opinion is that you are better off with a Freighliner shop that has a dedicated RV Service Tech. Ten years ago I started using Freighliner Houston and the were not an Oasis shop but they had an RV service tech and he is very good.  They expanded their facilities and not have dedicated service bays for RV's and are now an Oasis shop.  If you close by shop has a dedicated RV Service Tech you would most likely get a good service.

In my opinion if a shop has a dedicated RV service person that has been doing RV chassis service for years you would be okay but barring that I'd drive the extra 50 miles, drop it of and go pick it up when finished.   I just purchased our 2015 in October of last year and went though what you are going through now.  It was in the Oasis shop 3 days and $2800 latter I rescued it.

My yearly RV physicals over ten years have run anywhere from $900 to $2000 depending on having an M1, M2, or M3 done and any worn parts replaced.

Roland, The Oasis shops are setup better for Custom Chassis, BUT there is a wide range of skill's and the setup for working on them. The spot that does the best work is in Gaffney, SC.

Rich.

2 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Roland, The Oasis shops are setup better for Custom Chassis, BUT there is a wide range of skill's and the setup for working on them. The spot that does the best work is in Gaffney, SC.

Rich.

Having been to Gaffney last August I would not go anywhere else for chassis service.  Those guys know what they are doing.  Its worth the drive across the country to get it done right.

For those not familiar with Gaffney SC, it is where the Freightliner RV chassis (and a few other things) are built.  It is also a/the premier service center for Freightliner chassis RV's.

Their website: https://www.freightlinerchassis.com/

For information on your Freightliner XC chassis (build sheet for your chassis): https://www.fcccrv.com/coaches/?chassis_type=XC

For service there on your RV: https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/factory-service-center/

Do you really feel that a trip to Gaffney is necessary? Surely there are other qualified service centers more locally located. I have read good reports on the oasis FL dealer in Kalamazoo Mi., this is only 100 miles from me. Hate to think South Carolina is the only place.

Been to Gaffney and service was great.  The classes by Mike were excellent.  Facilities for plug in right there and coach goes in at morning time.

Houston is on 40 miles from me and I trust the service I get there. So yes, there are other places besides Gaffney to get a Freightliner chassis serviced.

Have you visited the Freighliner you are referring to?  A one on one for 5-10 minutes can help. I did that before my first visit. Never regretted it.

Out here in Southern NM, Oasis Dealers are in name only. I used the Oasis dealer in El Paso TX once, never again. Very bad experience, mechanic did not even know how to measure ride height.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:28 PM, campcop said:

Very bad experience, mechanic did not even know how to measure ride height.

Sad to say but the industry is headed into a downward spiral all over the USA. Few years back everyone was preaching you must go to college, most that could handle it followed. Of the remaining percentile less than 1% has the intelligence to process this advanced technology, while another portion of this 1% is bailing out of the industry as it typically lacks benefits, retirement or decent pay and the hours can be terrible. Unfortunately you don't get it all in most cases which is all contributing to the shortage of good mechanic's and its extremely difficult to find a good Technician. Unless something changes its only going to get worse.

An Oasis Dealer has to have:

• Dedicated motorhome facilities and service bays
  • Specially trained service technicians
  • Secure parking
  • Amenities exclusively for motorhome owners

There are about 100, give or take, Oasis facilities in the U.S

Joe, what is a person to do to get necessary service? Would you say that FL oasis service is a likely good choice? 

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Specially trained service technicians

Careful, this is kind of like the food service industry, one has to have the certification, doesn't mean its the same guy working on your coach or the one prepping your food :(. You will often find there is one person in the shop carrying the weight of the place with certifications, might not be a technician, could be the service manager. On the back end they fudge the paper work so "Master Tech" works on all work requiring certifications and to carry the sign on the poll out front, often times this person hasn't picked up a tool in years. Very crooked industry. 

I can remember one time I worked for a large dealer, went on vacation, returned, two weeks later I get a comeback repair, for the life of me I didn't remember this truck... (good vacation huh??) the history on the work order was dated the week I was on vacation. They tagged my ID to it to submit for warranty as I was the only one carrying the certification to make that repair on that engine. 

Joe, its a dice roll, you locate a place that does well for you, stick with it, if you have an opportunity to meet the tech, get to know him or her. Build a name/face relationship, it goes along way! If like most....move onto the next one and roll the dice again. Forums like this and social media might help you eliminate some if not most headaches. I had many customers that would actually call me and avoid the service desk, didn't want the hassle, politics and to be treated like a number. 

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Careful, this is kind of like the food service industry, one has to have the certification, doesn't mean its the same guy working on your coach or the one prepping your food :(. You will often find there is one person in the shop carrying the weight of the place with certifications, might not be a technician, could be the service manager. On the back end they fudge the paper work so "Master Tech" works on all work requiring certifications and to carry the sign on the poll out front, often times this person hasn't picked up a tool in years. Very crooked industry. 

I can remember one time I worked for a large dealer, went on vacation, returned, two weeks later I get a comeback repair, for the life of me I didn't remember this truck... (good vacation huh??) the history on the work order was dated the week I was on vacation. They tagged my ID to it to submit for warranty as I was the only one carrying the certification to make that repair on that engine. 

Joe, its a dice roll, you locate a place that does well for you, stick with it, if you have an opportunity to meet the tech, get to know him or her. Build a name/face relationship, it goes along way! If like most....move onto the next one and roll the dice again. Forums like this and social media might help you eliminate some if not most headaches. I had many customers that would actually call me and avoid the service desk, didn't want the hassle, politics and to be treated like a number. 

I agree 100%.  I was in the service industry for 52 years, working on boats and RVs, the last 40 years in my own shop, middle son now running it, basically doing boats only.  When I am home I go into the shop to piddle around just to see whats new.  Still somewhat involved.  I taught marine repair at the local community college for 7 years and It was tough to find students with the dedication needed to be sucessful in the business.  I was at the Freightliner rally in Tucson a month ago and was disappointed at the level of skill by the techs there.  The one that looked at my coach had no clue as to what my problem was.  Like I said in an earlier post I would drive across the country to Gaffney to have service work done that I couldn't do myself.

That is the Number one reason I go to TCC in Pipe Creek, number 2 is that they are honest and charge $75-85 an hour labor!  Even break it down in 15 minute intervals! :)  We all make mistakes, they stay by them....no charge!

28 minutes ago, manholt said:

That is the Number one reason I go to TCC in Pipe Creek, number 2 is that they are honest and charge $75-85 an hour labor!  Even break it down in 15 minute intervals! :)  We all make mistakes, they stay by them....no charge!

Thats good you found someone you can trust.  Unfortunately that is very rare in this day and age.  Gaffney raised their rate last year from $75 to $100, still not too bad considering I think the national average is around $140 with some as high as $200.