dbenoit

1st MH Road Trip w/ mileage

Don't forget, we all started out having to learn and it has to be on the road. Stay in the right lane on two lane freeways or the middle lane if 3 lane and let the crazies go around you.

27 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Stay in the right lane on two lane freeways or the middle lane if 3 lane and let the crazies go around you.

Great advice! 

Let me make a suggestion about learning to tow your toad. If you are not traveling alone, have another person drive the toad to the first location that you would feel confortable attaching that toad, of course you pulling the dolly. Now have a communication system between you and the driver of the toad, that person can now tell you if you clear obstacles and how closely. At the first location that you feel safe with that toad attached, probably a rest area on an interstate, put the toad on the dolly and go solo. Within fifty miles you will start to become comfortable with the toad, almost forgetting that it is back there, but do not forget. If you have a rear camera, most newer coaches do, set the camera to stay on while the toad is back there, this will help with getting used to that extra length. All of us was there one day, and will be many more that have to learn someday. Just enjoy the moments as they come, unlike James Bond, (you only live twice), we only live once. "YOU CAN DO IT".:rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Stay in the right lane on two lane freeways or the middle lane if 3 lane and let the crazies go around you.

That is great advice, all debris winds up on the right shoulder, or next to the median.

I'll test drive towing the toad and get my feet wet. The queen will have to try it out also, ahhh, that outta be a treat.

You all are great, and we appreciate all the advice. I sure hope we have the chance to meet up sometime.

Also getting my trip music together, start out in NH with "Slow Ride", figure out when to play "I can't drive 55"

and pull into MB KOA playing "Mas Tequila" and I'm sure I'll need it. 

Stayed in Lakewood campground and PirateLand campground. Both were excellent. I am sure yours will just as great! Been through NYC in a coach at night. It is doable. Easiest way to get to 95. Like everyone says $$$ tolls will cost you. Leaving VT as fast as I can (100" of snow in mountains and, still snowing in April)! I take 87 to  88 down to 81 to 695 around Baltimore. I have also taken 87 to 84 to Port Jervis then down 209 (beautiful but winding and at time tight). The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is also fantastic, but tight underground. It will also cost you $$$. Try to pick up route 1 after NYC, or 13, or 17 as fast as you can. The ride is smooth and easy and free.

have Fun,

Ken 432032

They have a nice RV park at "South of the Border" Truck Stop.  If you want one earlier, then do Carolina Crossroads RV Park, just of 95 at Roan Oaks Rapids, been there a dozen + times!  I wish you a happy and safe trip and feel that you will do just fine.

KOA in MB, I like it.  Nice and laid back, quiet and peaceful...was there about 18 month's ago!  If I can roam around West Springfield, Mass.  In my coach & the Jeep = 63 feet, you should have no problems at all.

Carl

For the TOAD, tie a white cloth in the middle of the upper steering wheel.  You will see it better and if it starts shuddering pull over and check. Of course, you have to remember to check the rear view mirror.

Don't fret! If something is wrong, truckers or passer-byes will honk so if you hear a number of cars honking as they pass you, truckers releasing a couple Psssts of air, pull over and check. Pulling over, do it safely and only if safe to do so.

11 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

For the TOAD, tie a white cloth in the middle of the upper steering wheel.  You will see it better and if it starts shuddering pull over and check. Of course, you have to remember to check the rear view mirror.

Don't fret! If something is wrong, truckers or passer-byes will honk so if you hear a number of cars honking as they pass you, truckers releasing a couple Psssts of air, pull over and check. Pulling over, do it safely and only if safe to do so.

Good advise if towing 4 down. I don't think you will see much vibration of the steering wheel when using a tow dolly, especially if the steering is locked. 

I used a dolly for a couple of years with no problems. If it was the only way to have a toad with me I would do it again, because I will not travel without a toad.

Bill

Maybe it will turn out to be like that ride at Disneyland: "Mr Toads Wild Ride"....lol...I rode on that in the 60's and it's still there.

Actually I am confident, thanks guys, that we will be just fine with all the great intel provided.

5 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

"Mr Toads Wild Ride"....lol...I rode on that in the 60's and it's still there.

It is still there, I rode it in 2013, only available in CA, no longer in FL.

I'm asking because I don't know. If the dolly got a flat would the white rag on the steering wheel indicate a vibration/wobble?

I was going to make a recommendation to the OP but now I see i can only respond to the OP's exact question. Herman, are you saying unless my response to the OP is exact and precise to his question I should start a new thread? The overseers of the FMCA forum need to rewrite the forum rules to include this information if thats the case.  

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I'm asking because I don't know. If the dolly got a flat would the white rag on the steering wheel indicate a vibration/wobble?

I don't believe so Wayne. TPMS would be the best choice.

Dbenoit, you'll be fine. Hit the road and enjoy that coach. I am very familiar with your area of travel, should you have anymore questions fire away.

Wayne, as you know, I used a dolly that had steerable wheels and I kept the car steering wheel locked. I did use  TPMS on the dolly and rear toad tires. Thankfully I never had a tire problem so l can't specifically answer your question but since my steering wheel was locked I don't believe it would have shown any movement.    

True that Jim. My steering wheel does not lock. Never gave it a thought about those that did.

Since the OP has a dolly this may be information for him.

Anyone ever rent a golf cart at MB? Going to call KOA and see if you can drive and park it there, jic.

Already checked out the fishing off the piers. No license but you have to pay a fee to fish off of it.......

The KOA doesn't rent them but you can drive them in and park it on your site. That's our option

if we don't bring the toad. There's a rental place a couple of blocks away. Geez I'm getting excited already.

Already checked out boondockers welcome for a place to stay the night en route.

btw , OP= David

I’m with Bill. No toad in Myrtle Beach would be a sad situation. There is so much to do and none of it is close. 15-20 minute drive.