dbenoit

1st MH Road Trip w/ mileage

After Memorial Day, make that 30-40 minute drive!  In a GC you would not have a good time!

With like 4 weeks to go the toad blew it's 2nd tranny. Better here than in MB.

So the toad is a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe with 300K miles, motor and body are like new.

Stupid CVT transmission......I don't think the MH will tow the Chevy Avalanche

13 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

With like 4 weeks to go the toad blew it's 2nd tranny.

You got time, get it fixed or replace the toad.

6 minutes ago, manholt said:

Sure would like one year of ZERO expense!

You figure that out besides parking all of it and not moving....let me know :lol:

Getting pretty excited here. Almost 3 weeks to go. Anyone ever fish off the piers there? DW likes to lay on the beach, I can't stand that

so I fish. The pier is private because they have a commercial license so you don't need one. The charge you an admission fee

and a per rod fee. It's not that much.

Trying to find a "good" spot to stop about halfway to take a nap, eat, etc....... between NH and SC. Any suggestions? We don't do WM's.

Looks like some states you can't stay overnight in a rest area.

If you know what your route will be, get out your map and see which towns you are likely to pass through. Then go to rvpaksreview.com and check out Nat. or State Parks, campgrounds or resorts along the way.

Herman

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Then go to rvpaksreview.com and check out Nat. or State Parks, campgrounds or resorts along the way.

I have "RV PARKY", "PARK ADVISOR ", "Book your Site" "KOA", "GOOD SAM" app's on my phone. DW will use these or just google maps a few hours out to see whats ahead on our intended path. She will then go onto their website to make sure we can fit and call to see what sites are available. She will do the same for Walmart's, rest stops and such for overnight parking. With the new trucker Electronic log mandate of 2018, we will not park at a truck stop unless it has dedicated RV parking.

We have a bunch of stuff on hand to help with this. Another great purchase is this book, it locates dump stations, campgrounds, fuel and other stuff you might need close to the exit. 

We also have the FMCA atlas, another great tool to help locate RV related stuff close to where you are at. 

https://thenextexit.com/product/next-exit-2018-edition/

https://store.fmca.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=173

2 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Trying to find a "good" spot to stop about halfway to take a nap, eat, etc....... between NH and SC. Any suggestions? We don't do WM's.

Looks like some states you can't stay overnight in a rest area.

You will find a lot of those signs are to prevent/give police a tool when people want to stay long term in the rest areas. 

One interesting app that I found is like the rack of brochures at big rest areas or welcome centers. It is called Visitortips.com. You will want Gasbuddy, Rest stops, and to save money Passport America. 

Bill

Thanks guys. Looks like we will be leaving NH Friday at 4 am. Should be able to cover a good distance before needing to take a nap. 

I would suggest if you stop at truckers rest stops, find an out of the way spot from them. Trust me you will be a lot less likely to be one with a story about being scraped by a newbie driver. It likely will be quieter as well. I will say this as well, Walmarts are a whole lot quieter and just as safe. Enjoy the trip, so much to see and do. Take your time and smell the roses. 

Use caution at trucks stops now. New federal law requires them to take breaks at specific time's by electronic log reporting. They MUST stop then no if ans or buts about it! Space around the US is very limited, especially the east coast. They no longer have the luxury of driving down the road for the next available parking. Trucks stops from what I have heard are busting at the seams, I certainly wouldn't want to take up their space or get tangled up in a sea of trucks, not with today's driver's!

I drove a tractor trailer most of my adult working life, but I would have to be desperate to stop in a truck stop with our Phaeton. I use them for fueling only.

Joe Leamont is spot on!

OK, no truck stops. And now I know his name is Joe. I might just go for it and go the distance, we will see.

Like wicked excited for this first real trip.

6 hours ago, DBenoit said:

OK, no truck stops. And now I know his name is Joe. I might just go for it and go the distance, we will see.

Like wicked excited for this first real trip.

While that is doable it won't be all that much fun. I would use one of the earlier mentioned  apps and find a place to stop and relax about 1/2 way down. 

Bill

Joe.

Who's brilliant idea was it for this Fed Regulation?  We pulled into a Conoco TS for fuel, 30 minutes is normal for 94 gallons, getting back out in 40 minutes is not normal.  Like every OTR was leaving at the same time! :blink::angry:  

Carl, new federal law that has only been in place for a few months but approved in 2016 ish. Went live I think in April 2018, was suppose ot be January, but it was delayed. Drivers no longer have their own time, they have to follow the computer in the cab, its causing a bunch of accidents on highways also. Drivers are trying to make up time as a result, mostly due to poor planning or unforeseen traffic that held them up, they also have to stop now when the govt mandated program tell's them to, not when they are fatigued.

So what you get is driver that had to stop while awake, couldn't sleep, then ran out of break time and has to pound the pavement again now very tired! dangerous situation! I guess once you get a custom to it they will be ok, but that's not the case at the present time with many.

I filled the fresh water tank with 30 gal,. Should be plenty for the ride. I don’t know yet

on the usage, thoughts? Just using it for the latrine duties.