dbenoit

1st MH Road Trip w/ mileage

We always top off the fresh tank on a long road trip. How about showers? Or do you have daily Campgrounds predetermined? 

The FEDs started  regulating on duty and sleep or off duty hours in 1938. Often ignored by truckers who weren't tired😎😡. Now the rules are being enforced electronically because Most trucks today have ECMs that can be easily tapped in to. 

The problem I think is that trucking tonnage has exploded while the really experienced drivers have reached retirement age or just decided over the road trucking is no longer worth the hassle. 

The new drivers for the most part (not all) are worrisome. It is a tough way to make a living and many don't last long .

Late in my career, I tried to find spots that I could drive into to avoid an incompetent driver backing into my tractor while I sought much needed sleep.

Today, if I needed a nap with our rig, I would doze in Walmarts, shopping centers, or noisy rest areas. I normally plan a route that is not a marathon and includes an RV park at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, jleamont said:

We always top off the fresh tank on a long road trip. How about showers? Or do you have daily Campgrounds predetermined? 

We will probably just rest,sleep for maybe 4-6 hrs. So it will be latrine only.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, DBenoit said:

We will probably just rest,sleep for maybe 4-6 hrs. So it will be latrine only.

I would recommend finding a campground with pull through spots about half way. That is a long trip to do in a short time. You can plan on a average of 50 mph for planning purposes. That would make 1/2 way a 10+ hour drive and that isn't counting stops to stretch get fuel or eat. ;) Not picking on you but as you said you haven't driven your RV a long distance. I will be a little stressful and tiring geting started. That isn't a bad thing but something to be aware of. That is why I recommend finding a place you can be setup in before dark, relax eat and get plenty of rest then you will feel better the next day. This is supposed to be fun not anouther job.:P

Have fun 

Bill

17 hours ago, manholt said:

Why the marathon to get there?  Forget the coach and FLY !

Most of the stars have a driver that drives the coach to their destination, while the star will fly.:rolleyes:

I did research a couple of campgrounds approx. halfway. Also a couple of travel centers just in case.

I think I'm more excited than stressed but that could change quickly. How did most of you feel on your

first mileage journey? Kind of funny but it's like, do I need this, did I forget this, etc...

From our very first adventure to present day, I have always found that planning for and reserving overnight stops in advance ensures a stress free and enjoyable journey.  We seldom "Wing It".

Whether its a quick overnighter at Wal-Mart or a stop at a KOA, knowing in advance our destination each day really puts us at ease and we spend more time exploring the country along the way.

To us "Winging It" is reserving at a KOA or Good Sam park the night before.....

DBenoit,

There will be lots of 'Oh Crap' I forgot ***. :o It will happen on your first trip and on many more after that.

Please don't push yourself to get there in a hurry. You must take a rest (a good night's sleep). Better to arrive rested than to tired  to do anything. What ever you are going to see will still be there.

Be safe and enjoy the new adventure.

Heramn 

We use to plan a campground stop, the problem...we couldn't get there until late due to some unforeseen or got there so early I lost valuable driving time that I had to make up for the next day. We gave that up, now we wing it, with technology today and resources winging it is much easier than I imagine it was 25 years ago. I leave with a coach fully stocked, full fresh tank of water. This gives us flexibility, I can stop at a campground or a Walmart or something similar.  

Dbenoit, just off of I-95 in Lumberton NC is this place http://www.sleepybearsrvpark.com/. We have stopped for a night on a few occasions, nice place to stop and plug in for the night. 

Also I-95 at North Carolina exit 106 is this place https://kenly95.com/ my absolute favorite place to stop. The lot is so huge parking is not an issue. 

Thanks fer the links, I saved them. We plan on getting a good night sleep and a grand slam breakfast.

A friend had a great saying about being late. "There is ALWAYS a excuse for being late but NEVER an excuse to be late and hungry"  :lol::P

Bill

On I-95, 3 miles south of the Virginia/NC line, is Carolina Cross Road's RV Park, very nice, clean and big, 90% pull thru, rate is less than $50 with FMCA, GS or Veteran 10% discount.

My two bits on this one. I too am a "wing it" traveler, even when in Europe. I have found it easy to do 650 miles during this time of year, actually March through September. That does require an 8 o'clock leave in the morning. It is easy driving with the cruise set at 60-65 and freeways. It is certainly difficult if one is on secondary roads. Now as for planning night stops, for us, we have had to many pre-paid missed and forfeited because we stopped to see something to do that any more, which for me listening to Janet grouse about the $ loss is stressful. The only time I do the long drive is when we are behind the time curve and have a specific destination and arrival date. We allowed two weeks to go from western Arizona to Sebring, Florida, nope not enough time. There was so much to see having never been across Texas, Mississippi and Lousiana before. Next time 3 weeks or more. Look, living in the West and having been across some sections so many times either requires a very strict schedule from the start time to hit paid rest stops that I find that more stressful than a long day to make up for lost fun time. We are dry campers so some miles off the beaten path is just fine. I would rather spend seeing the new area than supporting KOA and crowded spaces. That is why we carry food, water and waste services anad we still have our toddys.

I have to thank Brett, Herman, Carl and Kay for their input on this years trip East. It was wonderful to say the least.   B

.i

5 minutes ago, rsbilledwards said:

so many times either requires a very strict schedule from the start time to hit paid rest stops that I find that more stressful than a long day to make up for lost fun time

YUP, that's exactly what I was referring to above. I found myself pushing the speed to make a pre-reservation so I wouldn't loose my deposit. A few times I gave up at 1am with one eye open, pulled into a rest are and said fuggedaboutit!  Or the flip side we wanted to stop at something that looked neat but couldn't as we were on a schedule. 

7 hours ago, IanBullock said:

To us "Winging It" is reserving at a KOA or Good Sam park the night before.....

I should have mentioned that we never do more than 250 - 300 miles a day. 

Leaves lots of time to stop and never a missed reservation. 

Bill, 650 miles in a day?  That's way too much for me and the Mrs.!

Ian,  In the WEST heading from Denver or our case Evergreen, Grand Junction is 235 miles west...too soon for a stop and a very easy drive, another 150 to Green River and nothing there so far as a n RV park. So it is a dry camp someplace. From there WEST nothing for a long ways if on I 70 except many places to Dry Camp  I know many are older or younger than I am at 72. I can still roll a very long ways once, not day after day. 2012 I did 1196 miles in 15 hours, albeit in a Porsche and by myself and rolling West...fun and in a turbo Porsche. I will not argue it is much more difficult the further East one goes to make any kind of time. For the most part making time like the 650 for a couple days or three in a row is for guys like Joe with little time for seeing the same thing over and over heading for places unseen and with teens already impatient with not getting there yesterday. At his age recovery is quick. I still think I am fifty, it does not take long to find out that is not the case. It is like being married and looking at pretty younger girls and ladies. Just because I am on  diet does not mean I can not look at the menu.

Well said Bill.  Yes I can do 6-700 miles in a day, but I much prefer Ian's 250+/-  with a couple of days lay over, every 3 days!  Who is in  a hurry?  I did not spend $400K to run it like my truck or SUV at home!

I agree With you Carl and Ian. 250-300 is plenty. I have driven "the West" as Bill W.  sayes but still keep to my schedule. I have driven some of those crazy trips in the past. San Antonio to Washington DC nonstop in a 62 E type comes to mind Bill W. I averaged about 66 mph for the trip. I don't do trips like that any more.

I am leaving Monday and have a short day scheduled about 1/2 way to the North Oklahoma border up I-35. I want to see how I feel as I haven't driven the RV very far since the last health problem. :P

Bill  

Bill, my best friend has about the same problem.  Afib, with 50% blockage  of the "Widow maker".  He's been told to go ahead and travel for the summer!  Has not driven further than 25 miles in 12 month's.  He will have by pass surgery in October!  They'r leaving for Cortez,  CO., next week.  ETA is 10 days, from Galveston, TX. 

One day I will have the luxury of 250-300 per day. Our teens are good with the road time, mostly due to the comfort of the coach. Anyhow, for now this is me :lol:

Herman, last time at the Grand Canyon, we took the train up from the Grand Canyon Railway campground, anyway my wife had her Canon camera around her neck (giant looking thing on a small woman), we stood there for a few minutes WOW'd over the view, she tells me I could stand here all day, I told her to take a few pictures, we have a train to catch...LETS GO and i did the same thing Chevy did in this scene bobbing his neck and head! :lol::lol:

We watched this movie a few years later, she looked at me and says, EHH, now I see where you got that from, jerk :lol: