dbenoit

1st MH Road Trip w/ mileage

For the past few years we have been in New England only with our motorhome(s). +/- 3 hr drives.

We just planned a trip to Myrtle Beach in June to stay at the KOA for a week. This will be our 1st road trip outside of New England. I feel some anxiety as we never drove that far. Looks like a 15 hr ride.

We figured if we leave NH Friday evening we could blast right thru NYC, if not we would go around. What do you think driving thru NYC on a Friday nite

would be like, say around 10-11 pm? Not going to bring the toad.

Never been around NYC traffic on a Friday night, or any other night for that matter.  I assume you are thinking of driving straight through the whole 15 hours?  Unless you are young (25 to 40 yoa) and are a third shift worker, I certainly would not suggest you drive all night.  Even if there are two drivers it can be a safety issue IMHO.  Tired driver's probably cause about as many accidents as drunk drivers, plus it is much easier to hit something on the road at night (animals, re-treads, debris) and damage tires.

Dbenoit, we have been to New England with the coach once, I travel up there often for work, Bangor ME, Northborough MA and Canton MA. DO NOT RUN 95 through NYC, I wont do it in a car let alone a coach! At night traffic will be minimal, the tolls will choke you! Here is how I would go and do travel now.

get to I-495 to I-90 to I-84 to I-87 to I-287 to I-95 (south of NYC). Not only is NY bad but CT isn't a picnic either. Philly is simple just a straight shot through and over MD/DC area is simple but busy. 

If you want rural and scenic, time is not an issue take a look at this;

get to I-495 to I-90 to I-84 to I-81 s to I-77 (in VA) to I-26 (in NC) to I-95s 

14 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

lthough the KOA is nice, if you want to stay beach front, I would recommend that you check out Ocean Lakes

Agreed!

Avoid Lakewood next to Ocean Lakes, that was an out of control circus with no rules or consideration for others peoples property. 

Ocean Lakes is booked. KOA will be fine for us. I'm looking at I-495 to I-90 to I-87 to I-84 to I-81 to I-95 then go east. I think, !@#$.

I would go thru NYC at night but I heard doesn't matter. Any time is bad.

The tolls from what I understand on a coach and toad are around $75.00 (with EZ pass) , personally I would rather take the scenic route and put that in the tank. Plus before and after that bridge are absolute mess of highways merging on and off, you have to be on your toes so you don't end up someplace you don't want to be :wacko:.

Take a look on google maps and see what works best for you, the options I mentioned above will put you close, but not too close. 

2 hours ago, DBenoit said:

For the past few years we have been in New England only with our motorhome(s). +/- 3 hr drives.

We just planned a trip to Myrtle Beach in June to stay at the KOA for a week. This will be our 1st road trip

outside of New England. I feel some anxiety as we never drove that far. Looks like a 15 hr ride. We figured if we leave NH

Friday evening we could blast right thru NYC, if not we would go around. What do you think driving thru NYC on a Friday nite

would be like, say around 10-11 pm? Not going to bring the toad.

First of all why would you go on a long trip without your toad?

I would listen to jleamont as that is his backyard, he knows the area.

You are seriously overestimating your travel time. In a RV you will average 50mph. From your secret location in NH. to MB is going to be 20+ hours driving time. That isn't counting rest stops, stopping for meals or fuel. 

I would cross the Hudson on the Tappan Z. and use that rout on the way home to.

Why would you go on a long trip without your toad?

Bill

As fer de toad. I didn't think we would need it. That decision can change. We have a tow dolly

and I haven't towed with the MH yet. 

i guess we have over under estimated our driving time. We will have to change our departure time.

Also agreed to use jleamont's directions after a map review.

OMG, this is all new to me, I'm already freaking out.

If you can drive in New England, you can darn near drive anywhere, Once you clear Richmond VA the drive is very scenic and can be boaring

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You are seriously overestimating your travel time. In a RV you will average 50mph. From your secret location in NH. to MB is going to be 20+ hours driving time. That isn't counting rest stops, stopping for meals or fuel. 

Bill

Secret location is Fremont, NH. Then there's one item that's a couple of stops that's not on that list :P

10 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

Anyone know where the best place to get off I-95 and head to MB?

We take RT501 at "South of the Border" SC. Follow straight into MB. If you have never been to SOB plan on spending a few hours there walking around.

In my humble opinion, you are going to be sorry not taking your toad.  Do you plan on staying at the KOA all week? What if you forget to bring something and need to make a Wally World run or you want to go out for a meal or you want to see the ocean.....you getting my thoughts here. 

Avoid NYC like the plague also you can’t run the Baltimore harbor tunnel so you would have to go around Baltimore on the beltway look at joes route it is a much better ride less stressful 

6 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Secret location is Fremont, NH. Then there's one item that's a couple of stops that's not on that list :P

Yes I was in the area last summer. We stayed up at Newfound Lake. 

Driving with the toad is not as hard as you might think. 

Yes I was trying to say it will take longer because you can't drive as fast as in your car.

You can do it!!

Bill

We decided to leave on Friday morning. We will see some traffic but at least we have allotted some rest time.

33 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

How about getting off 81 and take 64 into Richmond and catching 95 there?

I don't see why not, 64 isn't a bad route and 95 through Richmond is the easiest of any city I have ever driven through.

I haven't driven out of New England since 1977 to Ft. Hood and that has been all. So I'm starting off a little highway shy. After this trip I'll be singing to "Highway Star".

1 hour ago, DBenoit said:

I haven't driven out of New England since 1977

:o Time to blow the dust out of that coach!

DBenoit, I'm starting to get the impression that you are somewhat of a "city" person and new to this cross country RVing stuff.  If you are not comfortable taking the toad then don't.  I'm sure you can rent a car at your destination if you end up needing one, and you probably will need one.  Maybe this first long adventure will be easier without a toad to worry about.

Relax, preplan the route and fuel stops, enjoy the trip.  You will be fine.

DBenoit,

I'm going to chime in and go out on the limb here.  You say you have been driving in NE so you must have some comfort when driving the MH. I have been on NE road with both a 40' 5th wheel and a 40' MH.  The 5th required a truck and I had an F350, King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed pulling it. The MH had a 2007 Saturn and then a 2013 Lincoln towed behind it, so if you have been driving those roads you should not have a problem on any roads. I'm going to assume you have a GPS that you can program to avoid certain heights and other restrictions.

Here is an option for you, I-84 to US-209 (Delaware Water Gap area(toll but was not expensive) I've done that in both type vehicles. Hwy 33 to US-22 to I-78 to US-222 to Hwy 30  to US-15 to US-17 to MB.  Much more scenic drive than a boring interstate with crazy drivers.

I have been on those highways without any problem. Been some time ago and I don't know about present construction but they should be okay for a NE Driver.

19 hours ago, DBenoit said:

I haven't driven out of New England since 1977 to Ft. Hood and that has been all. So I'm starting off a little highway shy. After this trip I'll be singing to "Highway Star".

If you can drive around in New England you can drive anywhere. I towed a toad on a dolly for a couple of years, once you have gone the first couple of blocks you will have to look in the rear view camera to see/make shure the dolly is there. It is not that hard.

Bill