wla7pca7

FRESH WATER TANK FILLING WHEN HOOKED TO CITY WATER

I have a 2014 American Eagle.

The fresh water tank is filling when I am hooked to campground water.  My guess is that the back-flow valve in the pump is stuck open and allowing water to flow back into the fresh water tank.  I ordered a SHURflo 340-001 In Line Check Valve that I hope to install and hope this will solve my problem.  I assume the check valve will go between the water pump and the fresh water tank.  However, the water pump is way back in the utility bay.  It looks like I must first disassemble part of this bay to gain access to the pump.  Does anyone have some experience with this problem they can share to guide me along the way?  This will be the first time I have worked on this problem.

Thank you

1 hour ago, wla7pca7 said:

I assume the check valve will go between the water pump and the fresh water tank.

An inline checkvalve goes after the pump into the fresh water system in the coach. Be sure that the arrow points away from the pump.

I have heard this problem quite a bit from Folks, that connect to campground water supplies without filters.

Mud, iron, sulfides, lime etc cause all kinds of problems with valves. 

Dissolved lime no way to stop it but bits in suspension can be stopped or with a water softener everything just about.

This may not be the problem but it is one cause. Even the tinest bits can imbed themselves in not just plastic but brass.

Then there is corossion from them.

At any rate you've identified the problem. Not sure how involved it is changing the valve.

4 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

An inline checkvalve goes after the pump into the fresh water system in the coach. Be sure that the arrow points away from the pump.

Thank you, I believe I planned to install incorrectly.  Thank you.

sorry bout that. I was reading your post, drinking coffee, and someone called me about then.

I didn't answer your question on how to go about install.

Call the factory is maybe a best course of action. Randy use to be the go to but they have several others in the same league.

I have one Person in mind but can't pull up his name.   They have helped us out a few  times.

By the time this shows up you have already repaired it, I bet.:rolleyes:

Although replacing the check valve in the pump is good, a seperate inline check valve will be able to take more pressure then the built in valve. Most of the time when a check valve goes out it is due to high pressure from your shore water.

While you are replacing the check valve it would also be a good time to add a shut off between the Fresh water tank and the pump. Then if you need to change the pump or to work on the system you will be able to do it without draining the tank.

Herman

It also could be that your fill valve is open, as DD69 suggested, or it's gone bad.  Mine was plastic and would no longer close, so I replaced it with a brass ball valve.  No more problem, until I had to replace my back flow valve 3 months ago.  If you hear your pump start/stop when on City water...bad back flow valve.  My water pump is also in a bad location in my water bay!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

It also could be that your fill valve is open, as DD69 suggested, or it's gone bad.  Mine was plastic and would no longer close, so I replaced it with a brass ball valve.  No more problem, until I had to replace my back flow valve 3 months ago.  If you hear your pump start/stop when on City water...bad back flow valve.  My water pump is also in a bad location in my water bay!

The fill valve is a brass ball valve.  It works properly.  Thank you.

8 hours ago, manholt said:

I believe that is where the problem is too and thought that was  what he was talking about.

I had to think a bit, a very  painful process, but remove the panel where the inlet and valve is and unscrew the other side an replace, a little more detail than that but......

On 4/17/2018 at 0:45 PM, wla7pca7 said:

I have a 2014 American Eagle.

...However, the water pump is way back in the utility bay.  It looks like I must first disassemble part of this bay to gain access to the pump...

Thank you

My water pump is very easy to access, it's near the power water hose.  Remove a cover plate.