Kiltedpig

new radial rear tires

Looking at the goodyear G670R tires are radial tires. The front tires are Hankook AH 22 tires but don't say they are radials.  Is there a problem with non radial on front and radial on back?  The front tires are only one year old and came with the coach.  275/80 22.5 

22 minutes ago, Kiltedpig said:

Looking at the goodyear G670R tires are radial tires. The front tires are Hankook AH 22 tires but don't say they are radials.  Is there a problem with non radial on front and radial on back?  The front tires are only one year old and came with the coach.  275/80 22.5 

I bet the sidewall sayes 275/80R22.5 

http://www.hankooktire.com/my/trucks-bus/hankook-ah22.html

Bill

While the question of Radials has been answered. I would suggest it would not be good to mix radials and bias tires on the same vehicle as the steering (oversteer/understeer could be different than what you are used to.

It is of course NEVER good to mix radial & bias on the same axle as the side motion of the more flexible radials could cause problems with the bias tire.

14 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

While the question of Radials has been answered. I would suggest it would not be good to mix radials and bias tires on the same vehicle as the steering (oversteer/understeer could be different than what you are used to.

It is of course NEVER good to mix radial & bias on the same axle as the side motion of the more flexible radials could cause problems with the bias tire.

I am wondering where you are buying bias tires for your RV and why? :o

Bill

10 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I am wondering where you are buying bias tires for your RV and why? :o

Bill

I don't think he was. Kiltedpig just didn't read the complete tire size. He did what many do. I get numerous questions such as. " How much inflation should I run in my

262R22.5 tires or similar abbreviations or typos.

2 hours ago, tireman9 said:

I don't think he was. Kiltedpig just didn't read the complete tire size. He did what many do. I get numerous questions such as. " How much inflation should I run in my

262R22.5 tires or similar abbreviations or typos.

I am talking about you. I don't know of any RV tier that is bias ply any more. 

Bill

Roger,  Been working on the stabilize bushings and they are covered in the same area of the Chassis manual as tires.

Interesting statement regarding Bias ply and Radial tires. The manual does caution using bias ply and radials on the same axle.

Statement- If both radial and bias ply tires are used, better handling  is usually obtained by using the bias tires on the front axle.

Radial ply tires permit greater loads per tire , BUT also require higher inflation. They can also cause higher stresses on the rims and wheels then then bias ply tires.

Your thoughts ? Rich.

While I never personally ran wheel tests, I do recall reading some technical reports back in the 70's talking about the stress loading on wheels of radials being different than from bias tires.  "Different" doesn't mean higher but the loading on wheels is much more complex than many people realize. Might be greater in one area and lower in another.

Few people realize that the "disk" portion (the part that bolts on) actually functions much like a Bellville washer and if you pay attention you can see the distortion when torquing passenger steel wheels.  The rim portion also transferred loads differently from the tire bead to the disk so yes wheels can be rated "bias only".

The same axle warning is not based on the wheels but on the lateral deflection difference so one tire may get a disproportionately higher level of lateral forces.