marktaylorjets

Parasitic electrical drain

We have a 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35M.  Even with both battery disconnect switches in the off position, the batteries will be drawn down in 2 weeks while in storage. 

The manuals are worthless.  I have tried searching everywhere I can think of to find the drain.  It has a Whirlpool residential refer, and I came across an obscure paragraph about it still pulling power in the off position.  No idea how much.  Our old DP could go for a month in storage, and not affect the batts.  Being new, I would think the batts are in good shape.

Anyone else having this problem?

MT

Make sure that there is no other wires hooked up on the wrong side of the battery switch.  The fridge is 120volt so no battery drain there.  If you batteries are wet and not AGM scrub the cases with baking soda water mix and rinse with water and thoroughly dry.  Moisture on the tops will draw current.

Thank you... Tomorrow I go on the search for the "wire hooked up on the wrong side thing"!  Even though the fridge is 120 ac, the control module still gets power somehow.

The first thing I did was look at all the batts.  They all look clean and fresh.  No corrosion and all terminals are tight and sealed with the red spray stuff?  Can't think of a better term!  The house batts are the old school lead acid type.  the chassis batts are sealed LA.  Starting to get a bad feeling...

If you can not find the current draw why not loosen the ground cable for the coach batteries. Just loosen enough to wiggle it and remove the ground cable for the house batteries. Do that after a full charge while you search for the problem. I completely remove any possible drain by using the Sales Man Switch to turn 12 volts to the coach off.  Our coach batteries last many months by doing that.

MT. There are a number of items that come with software controlled systems. The ECM and other items are software controlled systems. Even the lighting controls can be turned on and off by software style control systems.

Many of the systems require the presents of 12 volts, so they will wake up when you press the fob button to enter the coach and the list goes on and on. 

If all the power is remover from the ECM, the coach will need to travel like 100 miles before it will pass an emission test.

A 120 volt 20 amp circuit will keep the batteries charged - even a properly sized solar panel system will keep the 12 volt systems at the proper charge.

Even the Inverter needs 12 volts to wake up even if its off, no power to it and one needs to reprogram many of the settings needed to run and charge the batteries in the coach.

Rich.

The coach is stored indoors with no access to shore power.  I did not get a inverter manual and had to download it from the internet.  I am now learning how many things are hot wired to the 12v bus to keep the stored memory in each item.  The latest update on Fleetwood's website, says to start the coach and gen set at least twice a month for a minimum of 1 hour.  That would have been good to know!  Anyway, tomorrow I am going to tear into it to try and find where all the electrons are going......

Thank you for your support!

We have the usual remote battery switch that can be turned off from inside. However, there are still a few circuits that stay energized even when I push the 'off' button.

For just this reason, I also installed a manual switch on the house battery bank. When it is 'off', it is truly off and nothing gets power. Maybe it's time to install a master 'off' switch.

Also, if you have a residential fridge and its controller is still energized, then I'd guess that your inverter is still energized as well. An inverter can draw power even when it's turned off.

One of the biggest continuous current draw are the steps. They have an electronic current limiter in them in that when there is force on the steps the current is flowing. Ever notice when up against a curb and you open the door and the step hits it, it stops? The electronic current limiter has triggered because of the high current drain and it is continuous.  I did not have the same coach but on my preveous one I also had a voltage drop on the batteries to about 11.6-9 after two weeks. I was able to reach in and turn off the steps and the voltage then remained above 12 volt,

Another thing that can be done is to invest in an generator auto-start. Programmed for about 12.4 V it will kick in and when the batteries are charged it shuts off.

The engine ECM is so far not in the discussion. Entirely different subject. Yes, an ECM deprived of power will have to be run sometimes up to a hundred or so miles. Others require fewer miles to recover. That seems to be the least of the OPs worries. Charge the coach batteries,  and unhook that set of batteries until you can find nearby knowledgeable help. Perhaps newer units no longer have the "sales mans switch" but ours works like a charm. There are too many variables to be answered here. A new owner that has no experience with the unit is  in need of help. Find someone close that can help, and good luck. Owning a motorhome is an adventure.🤔

Wayne/ I always reach in to turn off my steps. That it was a lucky guess on my part. Have only had one DP. The switch is easy to reach through the large opening on the screen door. Did the shutoff instinctively.

Our mid door first 34 foot  Class A was always plugged into power.  The extra 6 feet makes ours unable to fit here.

That's the way my previous RV was, just reach in and turn it off.  The present one is just inside the door next to the passenger seat and down at the bottom, plus it has a safety lock that has to be pressed up before the steps can be turned off.  I just leave them off when in storage but I'm plugged in to 110v. Lord, you should see the lighted switches that stay on when plugged in.

I run by the storage facility every once in a while to do a check and so far so good.

I called Winnebago and they were the ones that told me to turn the steps off because of the current drain.

Oh, and this was with the MH plugged in to 110v.  Seems the inverter on that model could not keep up with all the parasitic current drains.

Update... No smoking gun (or wire).  The only thing I found was the Magnum inverter remote panel stays energized even with both battery disconnect switches in the off position.  The coach is equipped with AGS, but it is stored indoors, and cannot be used.  The Sat. radio and GPS Nav is also hard wired to store memory, but uses just a couple mah.  As said previously, the ECM also needs a few electrons for memory. 

At this point,  every 2 weeks I will go take it out, drive it and run the genset for an hour.  Camping season is starting and hopefully will not be an issue again.

Thank you all for your input!

I agree with desertdeals69, a residential refrigerator is not hooked up to your 12 VDC system.  Check things like propane detector, CO detector, etc.  They often are hooked to the battery side of the disconnect switch.

Also, verify that your inverter is turned OFF (i.e. is not in standby mode).

The inverter is turned off.  The remote control panel inside the coach is hardwired to the 12v bus.  The propane, smoke and CO detectors appear to be off, ie. green/yellow LED lights go off when I turn off the battery disconnect switches.

Hi everyone,, I think I’m having a similar problem. My 2011 Southwind/32vs doesn’t appear to charge the engine battery on 50amp service and after 2 weeks, my NEW starter battery was dead. The relay feels hot, so it’s getting power. Shouldn’t the house batteries and starter battery charge together on external power? How would I trouble shoot this?

f301359-----This should not have any relevance to you battery charging system, but thought I would send it along as there is an issue with some Southwind coaches and the 120 volt circuit breakers that are on recall. Dealer inspection and replacement.

You can get the Coach wiring diagrams by contacting Fleetwood with your Coach fine number located on a plaque outside on the drivers side.  Then one can look at how the batteries are setup for charging from the engine alternator and from shore power.

Your coach should have a setup to charge the batteries from shore power. When you are connected to shore power - what is the Dc voltage of the chassis battery and the coach  / house batteries ? 

Detailed Recall Information for Fleetwood Southwind

2011-08-04)

Recall Summary:

FLEETWOOD RV IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 AMERICAN EAGLE, AMERICAN TRADITION, DISCOVERY, REVOLUTION LE, AND MODEL YEAR 2011 AMERICAN EAGLE, AMERICAN HERITAGE, AMERICAN TRADITION, BOUNDER, BOUNDER CLASSIC, DISCOVERY, EXPEDITION, PROVIDENCE, REVOLUTION LE, AND SOUTHWIND CLASS A MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH MURRAY OR SIEMENS BRAND CIRCUIT BREAKERS. THESE CIRCUIT BREAKERS HAVE A NON-CONFORMING "SPRING CLIP" PLUG-IN ASSEMBLY THAT BREAKS OR FAILS TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT FORCE TO MAINTAIN A PROPER ELECTRICAL CONNECTION IN THE PANEL BOARD.

Hazard:

THIS CONDITION COULD LEAD TO EXCESSIVE TEMPERATURE, ARCING OR THERMAL DAMAGE AT THE CONNECTION POINT, AND POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO THE PANEL BOARD'S ELECTRICAL INSULATION. THIS COULD LEAD TO FIRE, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR PERSONAL INJURY.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS IF NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 25, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FLEETWOOD OWNER RELATIONS AT 1-800-509-3418.

Additional Info:

FLEETWOOD'S SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 110728FRV.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

NHTSA Source:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=11V399000

Rich. 

Rich.

Thank You for the information.  I'm second owner and never got that recall info!  Just looked at mine and they have no visible marking on top (like BD, SD, PE or GE).  Will look closer at daybreak.