InTheDogHouse

Replacing Eternabond Tape on Fiberglass Roof

I took the cover off the RV today and was quite pleased with almost all aspects of the results.  Everything is clean, inside and out, with no signs of any incursions anywhere.  Everything inside smells very nice with no signs of bugs or rodents in anyway!  All good right?!  Mostly...

I noticed while covering it last year that the sealant between the roof and side panels was separating in a few places, so I planned to remove the old sealant and reseal with Dicor non-levelling sealant, which I picked up this morning.  Still no worries as I was planning on this!  However...

Upon further inspection, I noticed bubbles all along the tape used on the seam down the middle of the roof and from side to side at the front and rear of the roof.  Pressing them, I can't tell if they're air or water, but either way, I'm not too pleased.  Still not terrible, right?  Buuuuutttt...

At one place in the center of the tape running from side to side across the front of the roof, pressing on a bubble pushes water out from under the tape.  #$#()#U!#$&#*#*!#$( and dadgummit!  A followup inspection inside shows no signs of any water anywhere at all, so I consider myself still amongst the lucky in the world, but won't wait to reseal as needed!

I spoke with a local repair facility and he explained in great detail how to make the repairs.  I asked what he would charge to do it and he said due to the labor and amount of tape it would probably run between $700 and $900, depending on how long it took and whether he could overlay 6" tape on top of it after bleeding all the bubbles, or had to remove the existing tape completely to replace.  He's also running several weeks out to get to it...  Unfortunately, it already has 6" tape on it, so other than doubling the tape to ensure it was sealing to the fiberglass shell on both sides, it will require removing the tape already in place.

I plan to attempt it this weekend myself, starting with where I know there is water.  I plan to use plastic putty knives I picked up at menards, but I understand what's under the tape is very goopy/sticky.  Anyone care to recommend anything at all to help?  Methods? Materials? Solvents or cleaners?

Thanks in advance!

You need to open it up and dry it out completely.  Sealing it with moisture inside is a sure fire way to end up with both mold and dry rot. If any of the roof structure has already started to dry rot, cut out the bad parts and replace/sister the structural elements and replace any compromised decking.

I don't know how anyone can give an accurate estimate until you know the extent of the water intrusion and possible damage.

And, suggest you modify your signature to reflect what coach you have-- others may have run into the same issue.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

You need to open it up and dry it out completely.  Sealing it with moisture inside is a sure fire way to end up with both mold and dry rot. If any of the roof structure has already started to dry rot, cut out the bad parts and replace/sister the structural elements and replace any compromised decking.

I don't know how anyone can give an accurate estimate until you know the extent of the water intrusion and possible damage.

And, suggest you modify your signature to reflect what coach you have-- others may have run into the same issue.

I actually thought I had added the coach info to my sig, but apparently not so that it shows up...  I'll get that figured out at some point.

Until you get it figured out.  How about posting it now...Make, Model, Year and length, would go a long way, for us to help you/you to help others!

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Here is something about removing the existing tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRZUnDfU3U

I would use the spray primer, EternaPrime® 

Acetone is your friend, Acetone is your friend, Acetone is your friend!!!

Did I say that enough?

Bill

Soooo, are you saying acetone is a a good option?  hahaha

Great stuff there Bill!  Thank you kind sir!

Our's is an '05 HR Admiral SE 30PDD and we're booked for our first trip out this season in two weeks.  The weather hasn't cooperated until today and is putting a kink in my plans for getting ready for the season.  I've got my work cut out for me to get ready by our first trip with this discovery regarding the tape, but will be better off than before after it's done.

Thank you again Bill for your help!

Yes, Acetone is your friend, Most bonds fail because of not doing the prep right. Just a bit of trivia for you. Acetone is the recommended/preferred cleaner when doing sealing and bonding on the F-35 jet fighter.:D

Bill

While working with your friend, (acetone), be sure to find yourself some good gloves that acetone will not eat up and wear them. Acetone will dry your skin beyond belief. Yes it is great stuff for paint and goop removal.

9 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

While working with your friend, (acetone), be sure to find yourself some good gloves that acetone will not eat up and wear them. Acetone will dry your skin beyond belief. Yes it is great stuff for paint and goop removal.

Yes thank you, I was going to bring that up. You need gloves that are rated as Acetone resistant. The blue nitrile gloves will only last about 4 min in acetone so be safe and use appropriate PPE. :o

Bill

12 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes thank you, I was going to bring that up. You need gloves that are rated as Acetone resistant. The blue nitrile gloves will only last about 4 min in acetone so be safe and use appropriate PPE. :o

Bill

Yeah, acetone for cleaning vinyl window components has pretty much been removed from most plants in my industry after OSHA comes in and puts their requirements for it's use and storage in place.  Unfortunately, rubbing alcohol or warm-soapy water, the usual replacements, accomplish little other than possibly cutting down on colds amongst those using them.  ;) 

I've pulled back about 12 feet of tape where the bubbles appeared most common as a start and fortunately, while I did find a few small pockets of water, I don't see any signs it entered the coach or got past the 4" foil tape in place with self-leveling adhesive over it's edges.  The bubbles mostly were just air bubbles underneath the 6" eternabond in place.  Whew!  Heading out to buy some new eternabond and acetone (along with some gloves, since I don't want to run through a pair of sewer gloves every four minutes! ;) )

Forecast says no rain until Wed, but it's cloudy and radar shows it's raining cats-and-dogs right now!  Virga due to dry air, I suppose... Hope it holds, or I'm gonna have a whole new problem on my hands! I really don't want to scramble to get the cover back on it, especially in the rain!!  :o 

Wish me luck!  (The good kind, please... :) )

Well now... Nobody wished me luck and I now fine myself in a not-so-fine kettle of poo... 

While walking through the parking lot to the RV Center to buy what I need, my back decided I was done with this project for awhile.  It seems crawling around on the roof, pulling super-sticky tape for three hours this morning was too much for my bad back and I'm out of action for at least a few days.  I made it into the store and one of the Tech's suggested I consider putting 8" tape over the top of what's still in place, to avoid the roughly 12 hours of pulling old tape that remains.  He said they routinely use 6" tape to cover failing 4" tape when everything else is in good shape.  I''ll cut any existing bubbles to confirm if they're air or water bubbles and pull up what shows to be wet.  It's not what I wanted to do, but it's going to have to do, at least for this season anyway.  Once my back goes out, it's usually at least 3 months or more of great care to avoid it again.  

Funny thing was, he couldn't get 8" eternabond through his distributors, but told me I could order it on Amazon, or through Walmart.  It will be here Monday...  

I'll use acetone to clean everything the new tape will contact and keep a close eye on things to see how it does.

Never mind the luck this time...  ;) 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:50 PM, InTheDogHouse said:

Nobody wished me luck and I now fine myself in a not-so-fine kettle of poo.

I will....:D GOOD LUCK! Sounds like you can handle it armed with information and proper materials. Please take photos it might help the next guy with their project.