TimeTraveler

Criticism of Fuel Mileage and Environmental damage

Back when we could still get to usenet there ere several characters that continually assaulted Motor Home Owners for pollution and for being fuel hogs.

Ran across one of these Fine Folks, Bless their Hearts, a few days ago, while fishing.

Most people don't think apparently. We generally, the most of us, don't drive our rigs except to a destination, and are parked there for a week or month or whatever. And...while we are away from home, generally we use a lot less utilities  there.

The guy as those on usenet simply would not understand nor agree. ......

Tell them to go buy some carbon credits from Al Gore, and do so in your name, that way you and Al will both be happier.:)

On 4/23/2018 at 8:59 PM, kaypsmith said:

Tell them to go buy some carbon credits from Al Gore, and do so in your name, that way you and Al will both be happier.:)

:D

On 4/24/2018 at 5:52 AM, Erniee said:

what is usenet?

It is open Internet, no commercials nothing. Forums and such. You can subscribe to  sites for Use Net .  Google records everything on it of course.

Charter still has it for free.

Staying on topic, Use of energy as a RVer. OK, so when someone gets all upset about the fuel I use in our MH, I ask them how big is their home? How many A/C units? How much is their Utility bill?  How do they go on vacation? Fly??? Cruise Ship? 

We have a very modest S&B home, one or two window A/Cs for when it gets really hot, one boiler to heat. When we get where we are going, we set the RV up and it uses very little power unless we turn on an A/C unit, we spend the majority of our time out and about.  I would confidently stack up my carbob foot print against just about anyone's.

The environmental cost of batteries and burning coal to charge them is significant. Plus, we have no idea what really happens in the countries which accept waste products. I saw at least one study showed our old expedition was less damaging over its life than a prius. The tipping points were the useful life of the dino vehicle and the damage to mine the battery chemicals and to dispose of them.

I'll admit, I've always felt the environmentalists make a good point and I tend to admire them for their efforts.  They are the extreme conservationalist as they travel in their Prius when not on public transportation, and I'm sure they feel all their efforts are mocked or cancelled out when they see the other extreme couple lavish around in fuel sucking MHs, jets or yachts, for no other reason than they can. 

Add to the hypocrisy a prototype 40 ft "hybrid" mothorhome being shown around the country a few years ago!  I really kind of laughed out loud at that, because that is like salt in the wound to a conservationalist!  Now grandma and grandpa think they are being "GREEN" because their rolling house is a hybrid and they are reducing fuel consumption by 2 mpg (even though their 2,000 lbs of lithium ion batteries came at a huge cost to the earth).  I'm sure the Prius driver believes they pretty much missed the point :)

As for me, I am the ultimate hypocrite - I travel weekly on commercial airlines because I don't want to live where I work, I drive to the airport in my own car because I hate the train, cussing at the prius in the left lane, and when I have time off, I can't wait to fire up my diesel MH and tear across the country. 

16 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I don't have any problem with my "carbon footprint". I am hoping to make it bigger and bolder in the future.:P

Bill

I'll drink to that

Bill,

I'm with you. I'm not worried about my carbon footprint either and I’m darn sure not worried about yours or anyone else’s. I live in Texas and Texas is in the oil business! Texas our Texas!!! Good for us!👍

Paul

We live in a refinery town. Visitor and passer by travelers well say, "What is that smell?"  The locals reply, "Money!"

For a "motorhome owner with career" like me, a four day summer weekend adventure is more environmentally friendly than staying at home -- a 300-400 mile round trip to a nice RV resort or state park, only cool 350 square feet of living area, heat a 10 gallon hot water tank instead of heating a 50 gallon tank, wash pots and dishes by hand than by dish washer, etc.   During a summer weekend at  home in Houston, I would probably drive 200 miles doing errands or shopping, keep a 3800 square feet home cool and comfortable, etc. and "burn" more energy during  a stay at home weekend.