edandmichelle

Flat Towing--What do I need

Still rookies here and am thinking of ditching the tow dolly we've been using and going to a flat tow.  What do I need besides something like the Blue Ox towbar?  The FMCA magazine says my vehicle is towable flat and after busting another strap this last trip I think flat may be safer.  

What make is your tow dolly? I can't imagine busting tow straps unless there is something awry with your setup. Flat tow will be easier, but some guidance may be in order to remedy the strap breaking until that happens. If using an Acme brand or one of any brand that does not have a swivel plate, then you will need to leave your steering unlocked while towing, otherwise the force while turning will break straps. If you are using one with a swivel plate, be sure that the swivel will swivel freely, some of those units have a locking mechanism, be sure that is is unlocked while towing. Otherwise, you may be trying to just pull the strap too tight, good and snug is enough. I have used tow dollies for 30+ years and have yet to break a strap. Good luck, may you have happier trails and tales in the future.

4 hours ago, IanBullock said:

2 things. Supplemental braking system and towing lights.  

With the Blue Ox tow bar you need a few things:

• Blue Ox bumper kit for your vehicle
  • As IanBullock said, towing lights - or you can alternately use a wiring harness to use your vehicles brake lights
  • Again, as IanBullock said the supplemental braking system. This is to activate your tow vehicles brakes when your RV brakes hard enough

18 minutes ago, jleamont said:

What is a Blue Ox bumper kit?

Assume he means BASE PLATE. Yes, on some Jeeps, might use a bumper kit [attach to bumper rather than to other vehicle structural element(s)].

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Assume he means BASE PLATE. Yes, on some Jeeps, might use a bumper kit [attach to bumper rather than to other vehicle structural element(s)].

That was my thought also, but I didn't want to miss out on some new gadget :P

8 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

In another post, he stated that he has a 2014 Ford Flex, don't know for sure.