rfsod48

Tire Valve Stems

I am replacing my tires in a couple of weeks and also want to get new valve stems. What stems are recommended? Brass or aluminum? I want to get longer stem on duals to eliminate extenders if possible.

Brass! They can be contoured to come out the center of the hole. The aluminum ones are just coated and can crack when bent.

With that said,  Dually Valves makes valves specifically for different MH's.

Only Aluminum stems I know of are either racing stems or the stems on some passenger car OE TPMS. These are subject to corrosion and are not as strong as brass stems. Don't know of any normal auto part store or truck stop selling Aluminum racing stems. They definitely are not as strong as Brass. Unless you are running at Indy, F1 or in an ultra small light weight car I don't see the lower weight as an advantage. I never rant them in any of my race cars.

Please be aware that some truck stems are the "yellow" brass color while other brass stems are simply chrome or nickel plated to make them loop nice.

Roland, I purchased new valve stems at NAPA, that included all the hardware.  They also supply solid valve stem extensions that work real well to extend the inner duel valve stem so it is much easier to install pressure monitors or to get a good connection for the pressure gauge and the inflation tool.

Brass, is king when it comes to valve stems and serviceability in the environment and conditions they are exposed to.   

Rich.